Broke my brand new 8800gt

kenshin23

Weaksauce
Im a idiot omg ok so i was pulling my gfx out of my mobo and broke it like the part that gos in the slot how it has the gold strips all over it well half of 1 strip broke off. I bought this off newegg its a XFX 8800gt will newegg give me a rma or ill have to send it to xfx how long will xfx take or newegg take for me to get it back is there any way to fix it do u guys know if micro center can fix these things? please help.

It wasn't Newegg's or XFX's fault, so no, they won't be able to help.

Correct me if im wrong... but Microcenter won't beable to fix it as they did not make the card, i would call XFX when its business hours and tell them about the problem, don't try to fix it yourself you may end up making it worse :) good luck.

i forgot something.. after reading the post by thegodfather.. yea i remember reading when i got my bfg card that it said it will void the gpu's warrenty if you damaged the card yourself or overclock it... and they won't rma it unless it comes broken... so you probably have no hope.. but hey it doesn't hurt to call them up and ask.

There's no way anyone's fixing that except xfx, and probably not even them, since I'm assuming you mean you actually broke the pcb.

I highly doubt it can be fixed - they'd have to replace the card, I think.

Sounds questionable. If you broke the PCB then technically you can't be helped, but if you call up XFX and explain your situation they may be generous enough to RMA. Don't keep your hopes up, but there is that chance.

Its not like the a whole piece came off just like the gold strips all over the slot that gos in the pcie slot a little piece broke off it. They say on the warnety website they will replace the card if damaged so im guessing this counts? I mean the thing is not even 7 days old i didnt mean to brake it. Any you know how long xfx takes to rma? Like the gold strips in this image half of 1 broke off i dont know what you call it http://scorpei.com/pictures_G6DS_real/pcb_back(small).jpg

The warranty will not cover if if you have damaged the card. They will replace it if it comes damaged, not after the fact.

well if i just lie to newegg tell them it came like that they will replace it lol?

I dont knwo what u guys meen by the pcb im a noob im talking about the part thats gos in the PCIE slot how it has gold strips on it well half of 1 of those broke off as i was taking my graphics card out of the slot. The card runs like the fan runs but no video shows up.

A PCB = Printed circuit board = the card plus the "gold plated" strips that you broke off.

Again, this can't be repaired. Don't try to or it might make things worse. Just contact XFX, explain to them what happened VERY CLEARLY and they might offer to replace the card. But since you did break it, you may be out $180.

And no, don't lie to newegg. That might be considered fraud or something. Not too sure but I wouldn't try it, unless told otherwise.

I would honestly feel the card was defective, and XFX should replace it. Those gold contacts should not break off from simply removing the card from the slot. Defects happen, nothings perfect.

Do as others have said, dont lie and say it came like that. Call up XFX and tell them one of the gold contacts broke off while you were removing the card from the motherboard, and now the card no longer works and that the gold contact should not break off from removing it from the slot. I would think they would replace the card for something like that. They want to keep you as a customer.

Lying about returns serves no purpose other than raising prices for the rest of us, so please be considerate and do not do it.

I like Nissan's idea best.

Did you do anything out of the ordinary when removing the card from the motherboard? Those things should not come off when you just remove them as instructed. This may be a defect of the video card, so XFX would replace it if that is the case. Your first post made it seem like you actually broke the PCB where the gold contacts are located.

I duno forget it ima just go to bestbuy and get a bfg 8800gt for 200 bucks whatever lol

They say on the warnety website they will replace the card if damaged so im guessing this counts? I mean the thing is not even 7 days old i didnt mean to brake it.

sum1 shood by u a newwun bc is stil undr warnety n u dint meeen 2 brake it kthnxbye

the tounge should not break under normal circumstances and therefore it could have been a hairline crack ands subsequently it is defective.If you removed the board in such a way as to damage the card, for example without using the thumb release on the slot , the board will be damaged as well. If the board is still viable I would argue defective pcb for being brittle or cracked and use my cc company to leverage your point

the tounge should not break under normal circumstances and therefore it could have been a hairline crack ands subsequently it is defective.If you removed the board in such a way as to damage the card, for example without using the thumb release on the slot , the board will be damaged as well. If the board is still viable I would argue defective pcb for being brittle or cracked and use my cc company to leverage your point

I was about to post similar, you summed up my feelings quite well.
In my view you'd have to be pretty rough to break the card but its hard to know unless the op can tell us exactly what happened.
As mentioned already, call XFX and explain what happened.
Of the card suppliers they are one of the most likely to be understanding.
They may have encountered the issue before.

I am surprised no one has posted this yet, but I do not believe you broke anything. There are "teeth" on the PCIE connection portion that are incomplete from the factory.There is usually only one tooth that I have seen and it is over to the right side.I know this as I have seen them brand new out of the box and had similar thoughts of a bad card... but if you have seen this only after you removed it you would naturally think it was you. Heh, do a quick Google of PCIE video cards images and you will see many cards like your own:) New Egg also has high res photos that are good to use for comparison.

If its only half of a single connector strip it may still be functional (assuming that it really is half of one). If they wont RMA for you try it in an older machine.

how the heck did you do that? did you like try to twist it out or something.. snapping it up?

His last post saying that he will prolly just go to Best Buy and get another one leads me to believe that he thinks he is at fault.

Sounds to me like he didn't undo the clasp on the PCI-e slot on the mobo, which may have lead to him trying to wiggle the card and therefore snapping the gold portion of the PCB. The card is definitely stuck in there if you don't undo the clasp that retains the card to the PCI-e slot, and I would imagine that's the most logical thing that happened.

Though with that said, if that did happen, you're SOL.

Chalk it up to your mistake and learn from it, as it's not NewEgg or XFX's fault.

If that didn't happen though, you should definitely post pictures of both your PCI-e slot in your mobo and your graphics card for us to really know what happened.

Im a idiot omg ok so i was pulling my gfx out of my mobo and broke it like the part that gos in the slot how it has the gold strips all over it well half of 1 strip broke off. I bought this off newegg its a XFX 8800gt will newegg give me a rma or ill have to send it to xfx how long will xfx take or newegg take for me to get it back is there any way to fix it do u guys know if micro center can fix these things? please help.

this post makes my head hurt................ what language do you speak, sir?

If you need a BFG 8800 gt OC cheap lemme know. Maybe we can work something out. I've got a two month old retail card that I need to get rid of since I now have a 9800 gx2. Message me if you are interested.

IT WASNT BROKE LOL tech was right thats how the card comes the problum was when i was installing my tower 120 on my Q6600 i put the backplate on to tight LOL sry for making such a fuss thanks for you help anyway.

Wow I think the OP has the worst grammar and sentence structure I have ever witnessed on a forum.

Its not like the a whole piece came off just like the gold strips all over the slot that gos in the pcie slot a little piece broke off it. They say on the warnety website they will replace the card if damaged so im guessing this counts? I mean the thing is not even 7 days old i didnt mean to brake it. Any you know how long xfx takes to rma? Like the gold strips in this image half of 1 broke off i dont know what you call it http://scorpei.com/pictures_G6DS_real/pcb_back(small).jpg

sounds from what say, the product was faulty from the beginning. the copper leads should not be stripping off the pcb.

What you should say on your RMA request is that the copper lead on the PCI-E connector end stripped off the PCB(printed circuit board).

This should not happen to a properly manufactured PCB

sounds from what say, the product was faulty from the beginning. the copper leads should not be stripping off the pcb.

What you should say on your RMA request is that the copper lead on the PCI-E connector end stripped off the PCB(printed circuit board).

This should not happen to a properly manufactured PCB

read, he says te card is ok. some or the leds arent full length.

Back