Brink, thoughts?

My FPS is taking a big hit. Currently on a 5870 with 11.5 hotfix drivers and the latest Brink patch. Any ideas?

My FPS is taking a big hit. Currently on a 5870 with 11.5 hotfix drivers and the latest Brink patch. Any ideas?

That's a driver problem and one that only AMD can solve. You'll have to wait for another hotfix or a new driver package.

Last night I played some amazing game. I don't remember the name of the map, but it's one where the attacking team needs to take some pass code to another objective (We didn't reach it, so I don't know what it is ^^)

It was great! My team was being cut to shreds in a big area, with basically no protection and initially that seemed to be the only place we had to go through to get the pass code to the objective. But we were able to fight everyone off and we advanced quite a bit. Unfortunately, it was a stopwatch map, so time ended and we lost. But the combat was really visceral and hectic! Really fun and the SMART system is actually paying off, where some moves can help escape a barrage of bullets or simply kill off an enemy in an easier way.

Hrm... did you do them all in a row (i.e. "be more objective" three times in a row?)

I did all of them solo, in a row, and I only did them twice. The third time is just to add your score to the leaderboard .. which I didn't really care about.

I'm sorry but I find it very funny that AMD keeps this hotfix scheme of 11.46.1c RC31 Z Ultra...

And that's not even a profile for the game. It's a whole driver package...It must be a pain to install drivers all over again every time a new game appears.

The only things that have changed in that package are the OpenGL drivers and the CCC app, I believe, and it only takes about 10 minutes to download and install the drivers. It's not really that big of a deal.

nVidia's no better with their 273.2389572893 beta drivers :p

[+Duracell-];1037263206 said:
The only things that have changed in that package are the OpenGL drivers and the CCC app, I believe, and it only takes about 10 minutes to download and install the drivers. It's not really that big of a deal.

"Only" that and It's a 115 MB package just for the hotfix ?...
How big is the package for the complete set of drivers then ?

[QUOTE='[+Duracell-]]nVidia's no better with their 273.2389572893 beta drivers :p[/QUOTE]

NVIDIA's betas come out every once in a while and they cover a whole range of games. AMD releases hot fixes too often, sometimes many times in a single month. Catalyst 11 is already on their fifth hotfix version "a" and release candidate 3.......

This goes back to a highly debated subject in the video cards sub-forum, where AMD's relations with developers is just almost non-existent and it shows in how they support new games. And who pays for that ? Their customers...

Last final I have is this afternoon so I will be picking this game up later tonight. Only $35 with the gift card I got from buying portal 2. Can't wait. :D

Edit: Well the game is fun, too bad it crashes every 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Last final I have is this afternoon so I will be picking this game up later tonight. Only $35 with the gift card I got from buying portal 2. Can't wait. :D

Edit: Well the game is fun, too bad it crashes every 30 minutes.

huh. what vid card? i have a 5870 and have played hours straight w/o a crash yet.

GTX460. There is a thread on the steam forums and splash damage forums full of people with the same problem as me. No fix yet. OpenGL is crashing or something, could be an issue with drivers or the game.(I am running the latest beta's)

GTX460. There is a thread on the steam forums and splash damage forums full of people with the same problem as me. No fix yet. OpenGL is crashing or something, could be an issue with drivers or the game.(I am running the latest beta's)

Don't know if it is a GTX460only issue, but my 470 is fine, driver 270.61.

"Only" that and It's a 115 MB package just for the hotfix ?...
How big is the package for the complete set of drivers then ?

Ever heard of the phrase "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"? The hotfix IS the complete driver package, they are just like nvidia's beta drivers.

Nvidia just released a beta driver to fix Witcher 2 performance (which is, actually, a TWIMTPB game), but I guess Silus won't be talking about that.

Ever heard of the phrase "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"? The hotfix IS the complete driver package, they are just like nvidia's beta drivers.

Maybe you should look at what I was replying to ?

[+Duracell- said:
]The only things that have changed in that package are the OpenGL drivers and the CCC app, I believe, and it only takes about 10 minutes to download and install the drivers. It's not really that big of a deal.

EDIT: As for it being just like NVIDIA's beta drivers, there's no comparison in sheer amount alone and that was my point.

Last edited:
Nvidia just released a beta driver to fix Witcher 2 performance (which is, actually, a TWIMTPB game), but I guess Silus won't be talking about that.

And I'll reiterate: how many betas does NVIDIA release between WHQL drivers ? Now let's do the same with AMD's hotfixes and their WHQL releases...Who has the largest amount ?

That's what I was talking about, but AMD zealots are so touchy about someone even mentioning one of AMD's faults that it's reason to start flaming. Go to the graphics sub-section if you want to flame everything and everyone for just the smallest criticism over too many hotifixes for drivers...

Maybe you should look at what I was replying to before saying something else that shows your ignorance and general lack of information regarding ATI driver packages?

edit: You are unhappy that AMD is on the ball with releasing updated drivers, we get it.

Keep it on topic guys, ATI and nVidia both release beta drivers frequently, we get it.

Maybe you should look at what I was replying to before saying something else that shows your ignorance and general lack of information regarding ATI driver packages?

edit: You are unhappy that AMD is on the ball with releasing updated drivers, we get it.

Yes that's exactly what I said...:rolleyes:

You seem to want a "fight", but I'm not dropping to your level of foolishness. Have a nice day...

I really need to increase my character's XP and abilities. it's clear that in some of the servers I've played, many opponents were faster and tougher to kill than me. Then again I can only play the game at night and I'm sure some play it all day :)

i'm trying...really trying to like this game and I just can't do it. i don't get a sense of a team effort, i feel like everyone is confused with what to do and how to do it. I think the idea of having multiple objectives is cool, but it just doesn't come across well in this game. i feel as though teams get spread too thin and it just turns into a deathmatch.

one thing that is really really bugging me is the inclusion of glass windows in a lot of the levels. from a shader standpoint, at a distance, you can't quite tell if someone is behind glass or not. it is really killing the gameplay for me, becuase i start unloading on someone, nothing happens and then i realize as i move closer, that he is behind glass. maybe i just need to learn the maps some more, but it all just feels so bland and pointless. i've not gotten any sort of rush feeling like i'm about to win or lose a match.

i'm trying...really trying to like this game and I just can't do it. i don't get a sense of a team effort, i feel like everyone is confused with what to do and how to do it. I think the idea of having multiple objectives is cool, but it just doesn't come across well in this game. i feel as though teams get spread too thin and it just turns into a deathmatch.

one thing that is really really bugging me is the inclusion of glass windows in a lot of the levels. from a shader standpoint, at a distance, you can't quite tell if someone is behind glass or not. it is really killing the gameplay for me, becuase i start unloading on someone, nothing happens and then i realize as i move closer, that he is behind glass. maybe i just need to learn the maps some more, but it all just feels so bland and pointless. i've not gotten any sort of rush feeling like i'm about to win or lose a match.

Play some of the challenges multiplayer. Particularly the objective one (name escapes me). I have played several where time runs out as I am delivering the data, and win in over time. Talk about praying not to die!

Well, that happens in all team based games. It did with Quake Wars as well, where people just didn't know what to do. Coming from online death matches and typical CTF or single objective games, constitutes a higher learning curve.
But once you know the maps and the objectives each map has, it's pretty easy. Play the campaign and learn each objective.

The basic premise in these games is conquering territory so that you can advance more quickly to any given objective. You accomplish this by capturing command posts. Any class can capture command posts. Working as a team, you'll need to not only push forward to the current objective, but also protect the territory you conquered. For this, engineers play an important role, since they can set mines or turrets to punish any intrusions. They are also the only ones that can accomplish fixing/building objectives (like in container city map where the engineer is the only one that can fix the moving "robot").
Soldiers are the only ones that can set explosive charges in objectives where something needs to be destroyed and they also distribute ammo. In the container city map for example, the moving "robot" needs to go through an area that is blocked initially. A soldier needs to get to that point and place an explosive charge so that the robot can move through that area.
Operatives accomplish hacking objectives. They can disguise themselves as enemy forces and then infiltrate their base and hack whatever it is that needs to be hacked in the objectives list. And then there are medics. They are responsible for keeping teammates alive, by throwing syringes at fallen teammates. They are extremely important, especially in areas where the whole team is concetrated. If there are no medics and the opposing team manages to kill off most of the other team, they will spawn far away and that area will be lost for sure. I find that many teams (in the servers I've played) are not balanced, mostly because they usually ignore medics. But in Brink changing class is so easy. You just need to go to a command post and change it. In Quake Wars you had to change the class in the limbo menu and only after the next spawn, would you assume that class.

I am able to play in windowed mode without the game crashing. woot? Multiplayer is very fun, can't wait until I actually know the maps.

Friendly fire is stupid though. Sliding behind cover to get out of the line of fire? You end up knocking teammates around and losing xp for hurting them.:(

I am able to play in windowed mode without the game crashing. woot? Multiplayer is very fun, can't wait until I actually know the maps.

Friendly fire is stupid though. Sliding behind cover to get out of the line of fire? You end up knocking teammates around and losing xp for hurting them.:(

Sliding does minimal dmg you lose 10 xp. however ff in any public server usually is a recipe for a disaster

I really wish they had a demo. Of course based on the stories from those who have come around to liking the gameplay, it's taken longer than a demo probably would have allowed so it's hard to say whether a demo would have been a good thing or a bad thing for Splash Damage to have released. I really appreciated the ET:QW demo.

I'd never heard of angry joe, but I was NOT expecting such an insightful, well thought out review.

Angry Joe is the best reviewer for games. He lives in Austin as well just like me so every review he has done so far I couldn't agree more with.

Angry Joe is the best reviewer for games. He lives in Austin as well just like me so every review he has done so far I couldn't agree more with.

So because he lives in the same place as you do, you agree with him ??

What ?...

Sliding does minimal dmg you lose 10 xp. however ff in any public server usually is a recipe for a disaster

Well, it's not been a problem thus far. At least in the servers I've played.

Yesterday I played another hectic match in the container city map variation, where the defending teams needs to build barricades and prevent the enemy forces from destroying the missile that is about to launch against the ark. My team was playing nicely, with a well balanced mix of engineers. soldiers and medics (operatives aren't really needed in this map) and it went well.
The only problem I'm having is that my character is still not in full force with all the available abilities and customized weapons, so playing against all those level 15-20s (while I'm still at 6) isn't easy, but still fun. I like challenges!

really starting to sink my teeth into freeplay and I'm starting to dig it!

the thing that I enjoy is the level of teamwork that is involved in each round, shouldn't be surprised b/c this is what Splash Damage is known for...

anyways, Steam forum member "Gen3ric" has created a very useful config tool called BRINKKIT. You can read more about it here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897087

really starting to sink my teeth into freeplay and I'm starting to dig it!

the thing that I enjoy is the level of teamwork that is involved in each round, shouldn't be surprised b/c this is what Splash Damage is known for...

Yeah, but I've noticed several times that some players are not really focused on team play. They're just there for the k/d ratio which is exactly what Brink doesn't reward...I really appreciate that Splash Damage keeps promoting this genre (which effectively only they promote), basically because it's the only multiplayer aspect I like (team play), but I think the majority just doesn't get into it. Same thing happened with Quake Wars, but Brink makes some things much more clear and easy to get into. Here's hoping that that changes something.

Back