Branch Topic: Please help me with VMWare install.

GRAFiZ

2[H]4U
Ok, so here's the deal, running XP 64, trying to install a copy of XP 32. So far, I've got the VMWare installed, I've created the required files to recognize and create an XP 32 install (5gb drive and 256megs of ram).

I'm at the point where I am in the "Player" window and I am installing XP 32. Right now it's asking me where to install Windows to.

It automatically see's the "5GB" drive that was created using the text file in VMWare, however, before I continue with the install, and "create a partition" using that 5gb's of space I want to make darn sure that doing so will not destroy any of the data on my two physical hard drives.

Meaning, this is total emulation right? It's essentially just going to use 5gb's of Hard drive without actually formatting a partition or messing with the data already on my drive, correct?

I just want to make sure that after I reboot later on I won't find all my data to be erased.

Any help please?!??! Thanks all!!! :cool:

Ok, so here's the deal, running XP 64, trying to install a copy of XP 32. So far, I've got the VMWare installed, I've created the required files to recognize and create an XP 32 install (5gb drive and 256megs of ram).

I'm at the point where I am in the "Player" window and I am installing XP 32. Right now it's asking me where to install Windows to.

It automatically see's the "5GB" drive that was created using the text file in VMWare, however, before I continue with the install, and "create a partition" using that 5gb's of space I want to make darn sure that doing so will not destroy any of the data on my two physical hard drives.

Meaning, this is total emulation right? It's essentially just going to use 5gb's of Hard drive without actually formatting a partition or messing with the data already on my drive, correct?

I just want to make sure that after I reboot later on I won't find all my data to be erased.

Any help please?!??! Thanks all!!! :cool:

The 5GB "drive" will actually be a separate file (or files) stored on one of your physical hard drives. It doesn't touch anything with your current partitions or data - just uses up some free space.

The 5GB "drive" will actually be a separate file (or files) stored on one of your physical hard drives. It doesn't touch anything with your current partitions or data - just uses up some free space.

Thanks dude! Appreciate the help.

:cool:

Bwhahaha... ok, that's it, forget this stuff.

So I install VirtualPC, goes well, XP32 boots up, things are running good... I install iTunes (the source of all my trouble) no problem, it runs great, plug my iPod touch in and what happens? Oh... so sorry... no USB support.

LOL!!!

Ok, so then I install VMware, boot to XP 32, everything is looking great, fantastic little program.

Plug in the iPod... and what do you know? It see's it, installs a driver for it... but has a "hardware issue" and iTunes is unable to see it.

Pfft... this is beyond rediculous.

Anyways, delete delete delete and end of the day, the touch is for sale. :D

What VMWare are you trying to install?

VmWare player
VmWare Server
VmWare Workstation?

I had no problems with itunes in vmware workstation 5.5

What VMWare are you trying to install?

VmWare player
VmWare Server
VmWare Workstation?

I had no problems with itunes in vmware workstation 5.5

I'm using player as it's free.

I wonder if support is better with the other versions?

Also, I'm using an NF4 chipset, perhaps that's the problem.

Finally, I'm trying to use a new iPod Touch and frankly, I don't really feel they've mastered their software compatability just yet.

Back