Boycott the 2004 SpikeTV Video Game Awards

Netrat33 said:
Wow this is one pointless thread.

Gonna watch it. Don't give an S if it's "corporate" or whatever stupid reason your "rebeling" against.

You could say that about any awards they are still fun to watch and see how a game is ranked. There's not TRUE game of the year because every magazine/reviewer says something different. Just a fun take. It's freakin video game awards people. Just be happy it's getting more "mainstream" to actually have an awards show.

MTV awards started like this too. Just a goofy award show to entertain and see how out of the games they picked who wins.

But whatever. Go REBEL you hippies you

It's not rebelling, since the masses aren't doing it. If the masses were doing it, and we 'hippies' decided not to, THEN, we'd be rebelling.

Personally, I think I have something better to do, like, anything. :rolleyes:

Sheik Yerbouti said:
It's not rebelling, since the masses aren't doing it. If the masses were doing it, and we 'hippies' decided not to, THEN, we'd be rebelling.

Personally, I think I have something better to do, like, anything. :rolleyes:

I'm sure a crap load of people are going to be watching it. I might record it because I don't have time today (going to a movie instead :p ) but it's a silly award show. BOYCOTT BOYCOTT...oooh...ya got the evil spiketv (not talking about you personally just in general about this thread)

Alias said:
Thats why I have Time Warners DVR. It records what i want to watch and when I get time I do so. TV is horrible, all the shows suck except CSI, Smallville, and anything on Speed.

This post shows that it's all a matter of taste. Not a fan of CSI...and while Ms. Kreuk is delicioso to my eyes, she's not worth the relativley poor implementation that smallville was last time I saw it...the "freak of the week" theme began to drag down my enthusiasm.

scims said:
dwayne001 said:
It's not like music where money can be made off of concerts and people can write a song in their garage. The type of stuff we're iinto, not this, but let's say Sci-Fi requires a lot of patronage given the enourmous budgets needed to get it done right.

As for your Sci-Fi budget comment I have one word for that. "LOST" Aside from filming in Hawaii, I doubt they have a large budget and it's a great show. Although most would probably put it in more of a drama category it is Sci-Fi given the unseen creature bit and other things.

Sure, Lost can be considered Sci-Fi but (1) it's a strech due to the lack of 'Sci' and (2) it's out of the scope of what I mean -- and you knew that. These big budget *Space-ships and Laser-guns* operas are things that take up a lot of time, money and energy and if the advertisers don't feel people are watching, they're not going to want to pay the money that airs their spots and so the show's gonna get pulled by the network.

So tune in if you want the shows to survive....especially if you're a torrent freak.

Netrat33 said:
Wow this is one pointless thread.

Gonna watch it. Don't give an S if it's "corporate" or whatever stupid reason your "rebeling" against.
Uh oh...I smell a troll. What the hell, I should be working right now anyway, so I'll bite.
You could say that about any awards they are still fun to watch and see how a game is ranked.
If it's fun for you to see how games are ranked according to the corporate sponsorships, knock yourself out.
There's not TRUE game of the year because every magazine/reviewer says something different. Just a fun take
Sad and depressing, actually. But I digress
It's freakin video game awards people. Just be happy it's getting more "mainstream" to actually have an awards show.
Why? Why would I be happy about that? Games have been getting progressively worse as they have become more mainstream. Do you really think a Sam and Max could be made in this day and age? Or the original Xcom?
MTV awards started like this too. Just a goofy award show to entertain and see how out of the games they picked who wins.
And they progressed to...well, a crappy award show. Nice point. Real zinger.
But whatever. Go REBEL you hippies you
Ah, the classic cop-out. Folks, this is what is used when the person arguing starts to realize that the other side actually has a good point, but can't really come to admit it, even to themselves. They label the other side something that they are against, and that makes it ok to dismiss them.

* I should note that I haven't watched TV since they canceled farscape. I was on the edge after fire fly, but farscape pushed me over. There is nothing really worth my time any more. When I've watched award shows, it's struck me as simply ego stroking. Like if we all got together to vote who had the best post or something. Why in god's name would I want to watch someone else's ego masterbation? Seriously? I've got better things to do with my time.

It's called a difference of opinion. Not trolling. This time gamer feedback was weighed in quite heavily with the review commitee. Like it or not, there are more console gamers and it's more mainstream... so a couple times Halo2 and such are going to get the nod... because public opinion was involved. I dunno, last year's award show was a sham. But this time it was 10x better. I thought after how it turned out you haters would feel a bit stupid. I'm sure you've found worse wastes of time in your lifetime.

I don't think calling you guys hippies is classic cop out. Got a couple people saying boycott TV and such. :rolleyes: ... and the rationale is bad. Enter the Matrix best movie game and Halo best PC game makes me want to puke as well... but guess what guys... LAST YEAR. This year who got those.... Chronicles of Riddick and HL2.

So the vast improvements they've made on top of... sorry... what does scream lame "movement" is just dumb. Hate on the Tv watchers but I think it's some of you guys who should find something better to do. FIGHT THE POWER!!!

Here's the list if you want to take a quick peak at what you rebelled against. Probably already posted but I think I'll fall asleep in my coffee if I read this whole thread.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/15/news_6115152.html

Not much to attack. I like HL2 better than Halo2 but it's not much of a stretch to call it the people's champion. It's not the [H] award show. Can't have everything.

texuspete00 said:
It's called a difference of opinion. Not trolling. This time gamer feedback was weighed in quite heavily with the review commitee. Like it or not, there are more console gamers and it's more mainstream... so a couple times Halo2 and such are going to get the nod... because public opinion was involved. I dunno, last year's award show was a sham. But this time it was 10x better.
Heh, so what's 10x shit?
I thought after how it turned out you haters would feel a bit stupid. I'm sure you've found worse wastes of time in your lifetime.
Sadly, my standards have not been eroded to the point where this would shame me. it was still crap, with a better veneer of gloss. "bling bling", if you would. Which is still crap. Shiny crap, but crap.
I don't think calling you guys hippies is classic cop out. Got a couple people saying boycott TV and such.
I've been saying that for a while. TV is like smoking, as far as I'm concerned. It rots your mind. Read a book, play games on the computer, whatever. Have you ever watched someone else watching tv? There is not thought process, the brain is barely working.
... and the rationale is bad. Enter the Matrix best movie game and Halo best PC game makes me want to puke as well... but guess what guys... LAST YEAR. This year who got those.... Chronicles of Riddick and HL2.
What I'd like to see, and I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I'd like to see an award show with enough integrity to not hand out awards if there isn't anyone worthy of it. You know, have the nominations and all that, but when it comes time to hand out the award, just have a blank envelope or something.
So the vast improvements they've made on top of... sorry... what does scream lame "movement" is just dumb.
You let me know what you were trying to say here and I'll let you know if I have something to say back. In it's current format, I have no idea what you are saying.
Hate on the Tv watchers but I think it's some of you guys who should find something better to do.
That was sorta the point. TV is a waste of time. Reality tv shows? Is there anything else on? Well, aside from those and the worthless dime a dozen comedies? Oh, and the latest hip-hop related trash teen drama? Seriously, give me one show that forces you to think things through.
Here's the list if you want to take a quick peak at what you rebelled against. Probably already posted but I think I'll fall asleep in my coffee if I read this whole thread.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/15/news_6115152.html

Not much to attack. I like HL2 better than Halo2 but it's not much of a stretch to call it the people's champion. It's not the [H] award show. Can't have everything.
I am afraid I am not a good person to analyze these, as I have my own tastes about what should have and should have not won, which almost never agree with other peoples. :)

Out of curiousity, what year were they trying to cover here? 2004?

I didn't watch the award show and I can pretty much agree that they're just about complete garbage, but that's not what drew me to respond to this thread. It hurts to see people on here say that they don't watch TV because there's nothing worth watching. Sure, most sitcoms are pretty bad and seem to be following the "chubby guy with a hot wife" formula made popular by "King of Queens." But for every "According to Jim" out there that does just fine in the ratings there's an "Arrested Development" that is brilliant week in and week out and barely gets enough viewers to stay on the air. The people who can't stand the cookie cutter "According to Jim" sitcoms denounce TV and stop watching, allowing an "Arrested Development" to get cancelled due to poor ratings.

Sort of an off topic rant, but I had to make the comment. That and the Spike award show was garbage and didn't mean a damn thing.

XOR != OR said:
Heh, so what's 10x shit? Sadly, my standards have not been eroded to the point where this would shame me. it was still crap, with a better veneer of gloss. "bling bling", if you would. Which is still crap. Shiny crap, but crap.I've been saying that for a while. TV is like smoking, as far as I'm concerned. It rots your mind. Read a book, play games on the computer, whatever. Have you ever watched someone else watching tv? There is not thought process, the brain is barely working.What I'd like to see, and I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I'd like to see an award show with enough integrity to not hand out awards if there isn't anyone worthy of it. You know, have the nominations and all that, but when it comes time to hand out the award, just have a blank envelope or something. You let me know what you were trying to say here and I'll let you know if I have something to say back. In it's current format, I have no idea what you are saying.That was sorta the point. TV is a waste of time. Reality tv shows? Is there anything else on? Well, aside from those and the worthless dime a dozen comedies? Oh, and the latest hip-hop related trash teen drama? Seriously, give me one show that forces you to think things through.I am afraid I am not a good person to analyze these, as I have my own tastes about what should have and should have not won, which almost never agree with other peoples. :)

Out of curiousity, what year were they trying to cover here? 2004?

It's just lame to be part of a boycott for something you don't like.... the main goal is to spread your misery. Don't watch it but NO ONE GIVES A SHIT. To even use the terms protest and boycott about a video game award show on a cable TV channel.... lame lame lame.

texuspete00 said:
It's just lame to be part of a boycott for something you don't like.... the main goal is to spread your misery. Don't watch it but NO ONE GIVES A SHIT. To even use the terms protest and boycott about a video game award show on a cable TV channel.... lame lame lame.
And arguing about it is....what, exactly?

My main point, and forgive me if I didn't make it clear enough for you, were the flaws in your argument. You, obviously, were unable to refute the flaws, and instead attack the overall premise.

You may be right, but how can anybody know if you don't actually articulate it?

dwayne001 said:
This post shows that it's all a matter of taste. Not a fan of CSI...and while Ms. Kreuk is delicioso to my eyes, she's not worth the relativley poor implementation that smallville was last time I saw it...the "freak of the week" theme began to drag down my enthusiasm.

Smallville is getting cheasy lately. But at the same time they are getting more into his character so I have to watch it. I forgot SciFi. SciFi rocks sometimes.

Back