Bought Another Prime @ Samy's Camera

O'Doyle

Limp Gawd
Canon%2028mm%20F2.8.JPG

It's a Canon EF 28mm F/2.8 prime lens. I already cover this distance like 3 times but I just had to have a fixed 28mm (well, 44.8mm :) ). Samy's had another "no sales tax" day last weekend, so I bought this lens for $179 out the door.

It's a pretty decent lens. I haven't really played around with it, I have been very busy. So far I really like this lens, it's very light and compact. It is as small if not smaller than the 50mm 1.8II.

My next purchase will hopefully be the new Canon 430EX flash. Hopefully, I get to sell my Tamron 28-105mm so that I can have some room in my backpack for this flash...

Anyway, what are your next purchases for you Camera?

Just bought the 50mm 1.8 USM II and the 85mm 1.8.

Need to get the 430EX flash next, as well. Not for a little while though. Just busted my budget with the 85mm.

BB

considering the following:

24-70 f/2.8L or 24-105 f/4L

35 f/2 or 50 f/1.4. Or maybe the 50 and either a 24 or 28...

O'Doyle said:
Probably some photography books for me and perhaps a simple tripod for the camera and then a real camera. ;)

Just bought a Sigma 18-200mm, Handstrap for my XT, portable HD w/card reader (PD70X)...

Foam for the door, so my film won't get ruined :p

(it's a Canon ftb my dad bought like...32 years ago)

BB Gun said:
Just bought the 50mm 1.8 USM II and the 85mm 1.8.

BB

Hmmmm, 85mm 1.8 prime.... Should I???? Maybe .... Damn you, now I'm considering it :D!

Tim_axe said:
The Russian 8mm Peleng fisheye lens (probably from Kiev Camera) :D

That Peleng is a good buy especially since the Sigma counterpart is what like $600 bucks !!!

Damn, now I also am considering this!!!! Argggggh!

darktiger said:
Just bought a Sigma 18-200mm, Handstrap for my XT, portable HD w/card reader (PD70X)...

Dude, I was/ am considering the handstrap for my XT too. Do you have any good pics of it attached to the camera? I sure would love to see it... If you don't mind of course :)

fugu said:

35 f/2 or 50 f/1.4. Or maybe the 50 and either a 24 or 28...

Crazy how this hobby just makes you want more and more..... I also would love the 24-70 and I believe Tamron has a 28-75 F/2.8 Di... If only I get to sell my (now) useless 28-105mm, I would immediately jump on the Tamron 28-75mm or the Canon one !

Oh, if you guys would like to post pics... Go right ahead, I want to see them :D! Post your new gear !!!

hey, you dont happend to live in santa barbara do you, i stopped by the sammys no tax weekend sale just this weekend to check thier 20D price, and i got to check out the 5D while i was there.

Hooker said:
hey, you dont happend to live in santa barbara do you, i stopped by the sammys no tax weekend sale just this weekend to check thier 20D price, and i got to check out the 5D while i was there.

No I do not. I went to the Venice Samy's which is "TERRIBLE!"

Well it wasn't that bad, it's just that I got this RUDE ASS old bag named "RAUL." He was the worst salesperson I have ever met.... He initially gave me false pricing (Come on now, $249.95 for the Canon 28mm F/2.8? What the hell? The Samy's online says $169.95, where did his markup come from) , yelled at his co worker in front of me and other paying customers, had the nerve to be rude to me (he told me, I should just go to another store or online if I didn't like his price, so I had to tell him to talk to the manager) and he walked around like he owned the place...

I am never going to Samy's in Venice ... EVER! If you do go there, please don't give Raul any of your business!!! He is a very rude gentleman.

Anyway, I usually go to the L.A. (Fairfax building) the main one. I get better treatment there and the people are great, very funny too! I highly recommend that store. I have never been to the Santa Barbara one, how is it there? How was the 5D? DId you like it? :)

I just ordered these from Nikon:

70-200mm F/2.8 VR Lens
10.5mm 2.8 DX Fisheye
50mm f/1.8 Prime
SB-800 Flash

Good use of $2k

O'Doyle said:
No I do not. I went to the Venice Samy's which is "TERRIBLE!"

Well it wasn't that bad, it's just that I got this RUDE ASS old bag named "RAUL." He was the worst salesperson I have ever met.... He initially gave me false pricing (Come on now, $249.95 for the Canon 28mm F/2.8? What the hell? The Samy's online says $169.95, where did his markup come from) , yelled at his co worker in front of me and other paying customers, had the nerve to be rude to me (he told me, I should just go to another store or online if I didn't like his price, so I had to tell him to talk to the manager) and he walked around like he owned the place...

I am never going to Samy's in Venice ... EVER! If you do go there, please don't give Raul any of your business!!! He is a very rude gentleman.

Anyway, I usually go to the L.A. (Fairfax building) the main one. I get better treatment there and the people are great, very funny too! I highly recommend that store. I have never been to the Santa Barbara one, how is it there? How was the 5D? DId you like it? :)
lol wow sounds like quite an experiance, and ya i like the santa barbara store a lot. The sales people i worked with were very curteous and helpful. i dont live there i live in san diego, but i was visiting my ucnle there. The 5D looks like a great cam, the picture review screen is really big, a lot bigger than my old 10D's and the 20D. i checked it out with a 17-40 f/4L, which i have, and i could see immediately the full frame advantage for the wide angle, and how much bigger the view finder was and brighter. It deff looks like an exellent camera, although its not quite fast enough for me, that is why i want the 20D, for the speed. too bad i cant afford a 1D mkII D:. i got to check one of those out too, very nice as well.

O'Doyle said:
Dude, I was/ am considering the handstrap for my XT too. Do you have any good pics of it attached to the camera? I sure would love to see it... If you don't mind of course :)

I will post pics on friday (since that is when I will be receiving it...

darktiger said:

I too got a PD70X. Very fast reader, works wonderfully and is useful as a USB 2.0 CF card reader for your computer. Unfortunately I killed my 40gb HDD that was in it by dropping it off of my belt loop. I just put an old 4gb HDD in there and the PD70X still works fine. Unfortunately I think I lost everything on that 40gb HDD... :(

Edit: I snuck a post in just before KevC :p

Very cool. My friends pooled their money together and got me that exact same lens for my birthday. Unfortunately they paid like $300CAD cos they bought it locally.

My next purchase is the Sigma 70-300APO, prosumer zoom! I dont' need anything really nice that long, I just want it for fun. Oh, and the 1:2 pseudomacro.

my next purchase will be the canon 5D full frame digital SLR...gotta wait for one of those babies to hit the used market though cuz i dn't have the dough to fork for a new one :( .
good thing the values for camera bodies go down quick not like a good lens that stays the same forever.....

darktiger said:
I will post pics on friday (since that is when I will be receiving it...

Sweet, :D!

My initial reaction to the Canon E-1 Handstrap was that it was going to be too big for the XT... hopefully, it fits just fine and proportional.

Having the neckstrap can be a pain at times, it gets in the way. Hopefully, this handstrap can alleviate some of the annoyances that comes with the neckstrap.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing it. :)

KevC said:
Very cool. My friends pooled their money together and got me that exact same lens for my birthday. Unfortunately they paid like $300CAD cos they bought it locally.

My next purchase is the Sigma 70-300APO, prosumer zoom! I dont' need anything really nice that long, I just want it for fun. Oh, and the 1:2 pseudomacro.

You got some nice friends there :)!

Planning on buying the 70-200 f/2.8L non-IS pretty quick for my 10d.

Just bought the 50mm f/1.4 USM, it's an asbsolutly wonderful little lens

New toys here:

rail.jpg

Kirk FR-1 focusing rail, 52mm to 55mm stacking ring and 72mm to 55mm step ring

rail2.jpg

This will get me to 1.8X

rail3.jpg

This will get me to 3.6X with some mild vignetting but nowhere near as bad as I'd feared. DOF is extremely narrow - if you focus on a fly's lips his eyes are out of focus.

Future? Still need some diffusers (rings, umbrellas or both) and reflectors. Probably pick up some mono-strobes to give me something to do during the winter. Deeply desire the 200-400 f/4 VR

O'Doyle, can I bargain with the store salesman? I am looking to buy the 24-70L. Samy's online price is $1150, but the store person quote me on the phone for $1299.

Steak said:
O'Doyle, can I bargain with the store salesman? I am looking to buy the 24-70L. Samy's online price is $1150, but the store person quote me on the phone for $1299.

Good question. My sister's boyfriend and I used to deal with "our guy" exclusively and he gave us roughly $50-100 below the retail price they had at Samy's or Samy's online. Nowadays we don't have "a guy" to go to and we just try to chat with the salespeople until we "befriend" them enough, then I usually say, "Is that the best price that you can do?" They usually are friendly enough to give you like $20-30 dollars below. (I did this recently when I bought my Tamron 28-300mm Di and my Tamron 90mm Di and got like $30 dollars off each item :) .)

Also you mentioned that they quoted you a price over the phone (kinda bad idea, sometimes when they get so busy, they usually forget to check the computer for the right price and give a number on top of their head.). On top of that they hiked up the price on you, which Samy's Camera did you call? Please don't tell me Venice beach, Ca (I hate that Samy's. Markup city and terrible customer service, especially that old fucker RAUL :mad: )? You are in L.A. right? Just go to the main Samy's Camera in Fairfax (they are more competitive with Samy's online, seeing as they are the main building), look for a "kind face" and just be nice. Tell them that you saw the price online for $1150 and see if that's the best deal that they can give you. They are mostly looking for a sale and a repeat customer, so they will give you a pretty good deal (hopefully) :D. Goodluck bro!

Ps. If you happen to make a good friend with a salesperson, send him/her my way will ya? :)

Hrm...my next purchase predictions were wrong.

My latest purchase turned out to be a Canon 20d body @ FM B&S. :eek:

Unfortunately my Canon Digital Rebel's secondary mirror finally failed at 27,250 actuations this weekend, and I have events coming up soon that I need an (EOS) DSLR Camera for. I won't be able to get the Digital Rebel repaired in time to help either. :(

So I'm taking this as a reason to get a 20d for my sports & high-res body. My 300d will be my regular PJ / backup / wide-angle camera. That russian fish-eye is going to have to wait until I make another couple hundred $$$ selling prints... :cool:

fugu said:

Well, I got the 24-70 used from a friend this weekend. I sold my 17-85, so next up might be the 10-22.

Just got my nifty 50 and 85 mm 1.8 a few days ago. Took them to the volleyball game. Have to do some post processing, will post some tonight or later.

BB

Found a real camera shop while in North Bay yesterday and got two LiteDiscs one gold/silver and one translucent. Also ordered an 80-400 VR on Monday and get to go pick it up today

I just got my dRebel XT 1.5 months ago and I hate the amount of money I've spent on it already:) They need to warn people that glass is very addictive.

So far I've got the following:
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 30mmf/1.4-->by far my best lens.
Sigma 70-300mm

Bogen Pro2100 Tripod legs
Bogen 488RC2 Head

Looking to by:
Flash
Bigger bag my mini backpack just isn't cutting it anymore.

Well, I just sold one of my lenses today. I sold the Tamron 28-105mm for $100. I have enough money for the Canon 430EX flash but I have to wait until Samy's gets it in October.

I was also looking into the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 Di. I really want the flash because I am running out of room in my backpack but I also want to add this lens. I hear that this is a good lens, any input guys?

I don't know, I want to try out the Flash when it gets in and go from there.... The good thing about the Tamron 28-75 is that it comes with a rebate and Tamron is VERY GOOD with rebates. I got my rebates in 11 Days :eek: ! We'll see though :D!

O'Doyle said:
In order of how they will happen:

Canon EF 70-200 F/2.8L
Canon EF 300 F/2.8L
Canon 1D Mark II N (unless 20D's successor is out and comparable by then)
Canon 580EX flash
Canon EF-S 10-22

Not cheap, but they gotta happen.

Mr. Baz said:
What's the advantage going with a prime over a zoom?
Primes, for any given aperture equaling a zoom, typically have better color, better sharpness (corner to corner), less vignetting, less CA, less distortion, and better contrast.

Not to mention they are usually faster and lighter.

Primes are awesome if you dont mind using your feet.

nweibley said:
In order of how they will happen:

Canon EF 70-200 F/2.8L
Canon EF 300 F/2.8L
Canon 1D Mark II N (unless 20D's successor is out and comparable by then)
Canon 580EX flash
Canon EF-S 10-22

Not cheap, but they gotta happen.

Buying a 1D Mk2, then buying the EF-S 10-22? Keeping your 1.6x crop camera I assume.

DrNigel said:
Buying a 1D Mk2, then buying the EF-S 10-22? Keeping your 1.6x crop camera I assume.
The 350D is awsome because of its size and weight, and the fact that 1.6x crop makes long lenses seem longer :p
There is no way I would get rid of it. Besides the 10-22 is one awesome wide angle by itself, and worth keeping the 350D over.

I take photos for a newspaper with the 350D and they are just as good as the professional-body shots, even when heavily cropped... (one of my shots yesterday ran today front page cropped about 90% and it looks tack sharp) so the 350D is here to stay :)

I want the 1D Mark IIn for sports... that burst rate is freaking amazing.

nweibley said:
The 350D is awsome because of its size and weight, and the fact that 1.6x crop makes long lenses seem longer :p
There is no way I would get rid of it. Besides the 10-22 is one awesome wide angle by itself, and worth keeping the 350D over.

I take photos for a newspaper with the 350D and they are just as good as the professional-body shots, even when heavily cropped... (one of my shots yesterday ran today front page cropped about 90% and it looks tack sharp) so the 350D is here to stay :)

I want the 1D Mark IIn for sports... that burst rate is freaking amazing.

There's more to the pro and semi-pro cameras than spec numbers, features, and apparent quality of the images. A 20d has the same sensor as the 350d, the difference is in the actual usability and ergonomics of the camera. Things like the second control dial, iso settings on the camera body (not in the menu), plus the proper size and weight, make a huge difference. I have a hard time handling the 350d because of its tiny, toy-like size, and poor ergonomics. That's why, even though the new sensor has superior high iso noise ability and some more pixels, I'll stick with my 10d.

If you're gonna step up to a pro camera with either full frame or 1.3x, it's probably better just to sell the 350d and grab the 16-35 f/2.8 L. The 10-22 is nice and very sharp, but it's slow and doesn't have the rugged build quality and weatherproofing (to match the pro body) of L glass.

If all you're shooting for is a newspaper and you want awesome frame rates, why not just go with a used 1D? Would be significantly cheaper than the mk2n and would serve you perfectly.

DrNigel said:
If all you're shooting for is a newspaper and you want awesome frame rates, why not just go with a used 1D? Would be significantly cheaper than the mk2n and would serve you perfectly.

Here's why: because money is not an issue, need is.... keeping the 350D would be nicer in the long run.

Sure people like to bash it because it uses and color LCD to change ISO etc, not the viewfinder and not a monochrome LCD. But here's the kicker. At all times, I know where my ISO is, I know what metering mode I am in, and I know what AF mode I am in. I never look at my camera to change those settings, I just know what to push and how many clicks I need to use to get what I want. It is faster when you dont have to look anyways.

RE Ergonomics: Yes, the 10/20D feels great... but to me the 350D feels equally comfortable. Add the BG-E3 (which I have) and its better than the 20D. Big people dont like the 350D, but so what? I travel (alot) and I'm not a linebacker, so I like the 350D... it fits in my hand great, and it is not obtrusive. Film SLRs were small, much smaller than the XXD or XD series digital canon's today... and nobody gave a shit. The 350D is probably the closest they have gotten, and now its a big deal? I like it, I'm used to it, and I'll keep it.

The 1D body has its nice, the 350D has its niche, and they are not the same. Thus, I see no reason to sell a camera I fully intend to use for a while.

Back