Bottom Mounted PSU

So i'm getting ready to build my new rig, and i found the case i want, its a Full Tower ATX (getting a full tower so i have room for the water cooling setup i'm going to use) that has a bottom mounted PSU. My question is, how well are the PSUs vented being from the bottom, anyone with exp with these kind of cases have any issues with PSU getting too hot and not venting well ? I kno that cases that have the bottom mounted PSU have vents on the bottom of the case where the PSU goes, but i'm just wondering how well that actually works...

heres the case i'm getting - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517006

I wish there was a way to watercool your PSU, but water + PSU = BAD (obviously) lol

Bottom mounted PSU has no PSU heat issues, as the PSU cooling is rather self-contained. Drawing air directly from the outside will help it cool better, actually (depending on PSU design).

Moving the PSU to the bottom allows for more topside heat vents/fans (since heat rises, why fight it?).

It looks like there is a grill at the bottom which allows the PSU to take in fresh air from the outside. Why would you need to cool it otherwise since that is pretty much ideal?... :confused:

It looks like there is a grill at the bottom which allows the PSU to take in fresh air from the outside. Why would you need to cool it otherwise since that is pretty much ideal?... :confused:

like i said in my post, i know that theres the vent/grill (whatever you want to call it) on the bottom of the case where the PSU mounts, but since theres only like a inch or so of clearance from the bottom of the case to the floor i was a lil worried that the heat wouldn't really be able to escape very efficiently, and that if i ended up setting the case on a carpeted floor, it could be a fire hazard lol

That, for *most* PSU designs, is where the intake would be. 1inch clearance, unless if you are using shag carpeting, is more then enough.

Last edited:
That, for *most* PSU designs, is where the intake would be. 1inch clearance, unless if you are using shag carpeting, it more then enough.

hahah, defintely dont have shag caprets haha, but yea, just wanted to make sure, safety first guys, then teamwork !

Bottom mounted PSU has no PSU heat issues, as the PSU cooling is rather self-contained.
Actually bottom is better place for PSU because in there it isn't forced to suck in heat from CPU and other components below it but can just concentrate to keeping itself cool which is lot easier when ambient temperature is lower.

I understand your concern, but that case does have a lot of clearance under it. I have a bottom mounted psu setup, but the clearance of my case is closer to 1/4 inch than 1 inch. I have my case on a hard surface to allow enough airflow, because I know that there is no way if put on carpet it would have enough air flow. But again your case looks to have plenty of room for some carpet.

I've got a higher end build running the power supply (850w) on the bottom, w/ the fan facing up (into the case) and heat has never been an issue....the psu fan, therefore, is part of my pc's overall cooling and air flow design.

On my LL V2000 the PSU is mounted on the bottom and i've had no problems with it so far. Since i did have room above it i mounted 2 80" fans above it for extra cooling. Seems to keep the air flowing pretty well and helps on case circulation.. :p

So i'm getting ready to build my new rig, and i found the case i want, its a Full Tower ATX (getting a full tower so i have room for the water cooling setup i'm going to use) that has a bottom mounted PSU. My question is, how well are the PSUs vented being from the bottom, anyone with exp with these kind of cases have any issues with PSU getting too hot and not venting well ? I kno that cases that have the bottom mounted PSU have vents on the bottom of the case where the PSU goes, but i'm just wondering how well that actually works...

heres the case i'm getting - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517006

I wish there was a way to watercool your PSU, but water + PSU = BAD (obviously) lol
that last statement..... i answer with the following......
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22_320

and as for the psu there is a grill on the bottom so this shouldn't be an issue..... except for maybe getting power to the device in the top bay....

On my Lian Li B-70 the PSU is mounted on a little pedestal that has an open vent out the back. No heat issues, fan never spins up as far as I can tell. And cable management is sooo much easier when it's mounted on the bottom.

OP's post made me remember that thing

If there is something to be water cooled, koolance will find it. I'm surprised they don't have water cooled radiators yet.

I need to water cool my water cooling setup.

YO DOG I HEAR YOU LIKE WATER COOLING.... :p

Back