Borderlands worth getting?

I got it in the 4-pack when it first came out and never regretted it, I've got well over 100 hours into it now. I thoroughly enjoy the single-player and had a blast playing a full day once with 3 friends. DLC has been pretty good too, mostly with Knoxx.

seriously , this game has an incredible amount of thing to do.

I got it in the 4-pack when it first came out and never regretted it, I've got well over 100 hours into it now. I thoroughly enjoy the single-player and had a blast playing a full day once with 3 friends. DLC has been pretty good too, mostly with Knoxx.

Yea Knoxx was the only DLC worth getting I think. Jacob's Cove was a cool setting but way too easy and short.

So do folks meet up online to trade items or is that pretty much not happening? If I for example find some uber awesome orange Soldier mod, should I hold on to it in case I come across a player who needs it and has something I may want or do people just use the item editor to give themselves whatever items and move on?

this game is the best 10 bucks I have ever spent. I cant believe how much crap there is to do and most of it is damn fun. I have 20 hours already and I havent even come remotely close to completing the game. I find myself looking and exploring every inch of this game and not even getting bored yet.

Fallout 3 is the only other rpg game I have played and I am used to just shooters for the most part. in Borderlands the missions are laid out so well and you cant really get lost or confused though. I do have a few minor gripes but nothing worth getting into here. really this game is damn fun and will keep you busy for many many hours.

Game would be best playing with friends. Getting grouped with people at random kinda sucks. There are tons of modded guns, armor, and other bullshit items going around. Some items give you nearly infinite money and are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Playing on Xbox live stopped being fun when everyone had hacked guns that shoot 20 rockets a second and each rocket does 20,000 damage. Yawn.

This game isn't bad; wish they spent a bit more time on the pc interface; it seems a bit sloppy and not very smooth. I'm level 25 and finished with zombies; with no clue how far I am into the main game itself. It gets a bit repetitive at times and gun colors seems to not reflect their quality; a few whites wickedly powerful a few purples pure junk.

Played it for two weeks and tired of it. It's a fun (if repetitive) game but Gamespy is dreadful. I found it hard to find a good game at my level. I never finished it.

It gets a bit repetitive at times and gun colors seems to not reflect their quality; a few whites wickedly powerful a few purples pure junk.
The item colour reflects the rarity of the item, not necessarily its power.

Game would be best playing with friends. Getting grouped with people at random kinda sucks. There are tons of modded guns, armor, and other bullshit items going around. Some items give you nearly infinite money and are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Playing on Xbox live stopped being fun when everyone had hacked guns that shoot 20 rockets a second and each rocket does 20,000 damage. Yawn.

You think that's the worst of it? You obviously never found your way into one of my friendly-fire-on servers ;)

So do folks meet up online to trade items or is that pretty much not happening? If I for example find some uber awesome orange Soldier mod, should I hold on to it in case I come across a player who needs it and has something I may want or do people just use the item editor to give themselves whatever items and move on?

I'm pretty sure a majority of the random people you'll see online are using item editors and crap, so probably not worth holding on to items unless you are playing with a legit group.

The item colour reflects the rarity of the item, not necessarily its power.

I can't decide whether you are serious ...
I mean, yes, item color reflects rarity ..., but it stands to reason that a rare item is more powerful than a common item, otherwise what's the point of it being rare other than to appease a minuscule minority of gamers who have a digital item collection fetish.

It's sloppy programming really. I like the game just fine but the devs hyped up the 95437593497 different guns the game has when in reality they just let a random stat generator loose and reskinned the initial weapon gfx to go along with the random stats.

On top of that the stats themselves are not informative beyond the basic guns that don't have modifiers, and even then the stats don't actually help much.

What's better a gun that has 31 dmg 94% accuracy and a 6.9 fire rate or a gun that has 10 dmg x 2, 88% accuracy and a 8.1 fire rate? That's not even talking about elemental damage modifiers and stat tree contributions.

Borderlands is a nightmare for min/maxers!

Unless you go through the trouble of putting it all into a spreadsheet and adding some guesses as to the percentage of procs, you really have no idea which weapon is better for the task at hand.

Arguably the game wasn't meant to sweat weapon stats too much, but a simple DPS stat would certainly help to clarify things a bit more when you just want a basic overview of which weapon is better than the next.

short answer, yes.

Don't think about it to much and have some fun blowing stuff up or if your more hard core, follow the spreadsheet method. I do not feel to bad about throwing weapons away because I know I'm always going to find something new and more fun to play with (except alien weapons, guard those, use your bank to safe those).

EDIT Response to the person above, RARITY DOES NOT EQUAL POWER. Rare weapons can be rare because they have rare combination of effects, if the effects are worth it is up to you. I've picked up plywood weapons which were more powerful then certain rare weapons.

My only gripes with this game is the FOV... god its awful , and yes i modded my ini files to ''fix'' it.

eh, the whole colors thing is only meaningful in terms of the borderlands "economy". The greater your level, the more things cost, the more weapons are worth, the higher their level. As a general statement you can say that the "average" color weapon will be stronger than weapons of a lower color class, but this is pretty useless when comparing weapons.

rumor has is a goty edition is coming with all dlc, maybe wait and see if that rears its head anytime soon

I can't decide whether you are serious ...
I mean, yes, item color reflects rarity ..., but it stands to reason that a rare item is more powerful than a common item, otherwise what's the point of it being rare other than to appease a minuscule minority of gamers who have a digital item collection fetish.

It's sloppy programming really. I like the game just fine but the devs hyped up the 95437593497 different guns the game has when in reality they just let a random stat generator loose and reskinned the initial weapon gfx to go along with the random stats.

On top of that the stats themselves are not informative beyond the basic guns that don't have modifiers, and even then the stats don't actually help much.

What's better a gun that has 31 dmg 94% accuracy and a 6.9 fire rate or a gun that has 10 dmg x 2, 88% accuracy and a 8.1 fire rate? That's not even talking about elemental damage modifiers and stat tree contributions.

Borderlands is a nightmare for min/maxers!

I'm not the end all, of course, and played soldier with boosts to ammo, accuracy, etc. But usually the unsung heroes are accuracy above 90%, or at least that 88 level, and recoil. Fire rate obviously depends on the clip size. So nothing is solved for min/max, heh.

But that's more realistic.

I have nearly 25 hours in this game so far and I dont understand the bitching about the fov. now Metro 2033 was almost unplayable until I adjusted the fov but Borderlands feels just fine for me on a 16:9 monitor.

I did the command adjustment where when I run the FOV expands and then returns to normal when I stop.

Arguably the game wasn't meant to sweat weapon stats too much, but a simple DPS stat would certainly help to clarify things a bit more when you just want a basic overview of which weapon is better than the next.
You can't boil it down to just DPS, because unlike most RPGs there are other factors you have to deal with. A higher fire rate means more damage, but it also means that your ammo will be eaten up faster. A gun that does more damage with a lower fire rate is better with ammo, but then you have to worry about accuracy, because if it misses a lot of shots then you won't be doing much damage unless you're at close range. You can't boil it down to one stat because which gun is best for you depends on your class, your play style, the situations you intend to use the gun in, etc.

eh, the point is that you could do some things to help in terms of evaluating weapons. that has been requested many times on the BL forums. Gearbox has implemented DLC and some bugfixes and that is it. No requested enhancements have made it into the game. Don't get me wrong now, I love the game and think it awesome. But developer support for the community has been sadly lacking.

i just finished it and really really enjoyed it. I was pretty hooked. I only played the SP though. My only complaints are the ending and some if not all the boss fights are flawed and SOOOO easy. It is certainly worth playing. Now to get my wife, friend and his sister to play so we can get some other online action going that isn't l4d/l4d2

Has borderlands been on sale lately? Looking to save some cash on it, not sure it's worth $30 since none of my friends play it.

Has borderlands been on sale lately? Looking to save some cash on it, not sure it's worth $30 since none of my friends play it.

A new DLC is coming out this fall so I'd say Steam will be running it on sale again before then. Great game!

I have it for pc and its pretty fun, even tho it was a one time play for me (single player).

Its an amazing game, didn't really draw me in like fallout 3 did, i could care less about the story, but it will keep you hooked.

I would wait until October to get Borderlands. GOTY Edition will ship with all 4 DLC packs (one currently not out yet) as well as an extra map. I have $70 invested in Borderlands (The actual game and 2 DLC's) and might purchase the GOTY edition on steam to have it collectivley in one place. I am also interested in this extra map. Hmmm.

well it makes more sense just to grab it if it goes on sale again for 10 bucks with dlc at 3.30 a piece. that means the game and the 3 current dlcs would only be 20 bucks. then get the last dlc for 10 bucks if its not on sale and that's only 30 bucks total where as the game of the year will likely be 50 bucks.

I have a ton of interest in this extra map as well though. I have quit a bit of time to ponder over it.

I have a ton of interest in this extra map as well though. I have quit a bit of time to ponder over it.
its not an extra map, its a foldout map. you want to pay at least 20 bucks extra to buy a physical copy just because it has a foldout map?

lulz... I didn't notice it was an paper map.. (Have a mafia II one hanging on my wall) but, I read the article as an "extra" map, not a physical map. Thanks for the corrections.

Haven't read the whole thread but yes the game is worth owning, but if and ONLY if you have at least 2-3 other people to play it with all the way through. Playing the game solo can be pretty frustrating actually so I wouldn't recommend it at all unless you have friends that are going to buy it and play along from start to finish.

Haven't read the whole thread but yes the game is worth owning, but if and ONLY if you have at least 2-3 other people to play it with all the way through. Playing the game solo can be pretty frustrating actually so I wouldn't recommend it at all unless you have friends that are going to buy it and play along from start to finish.
I have over 60 hours of single player with not 1 single minute playing with friends and it has been great.

For anyone who hadn't plunged yet, the GOTY version that's coming is SO worth it at $50 it's not even funny.

For anyone who hadn't plunged yet, the GOTY version that's coming is SO worth it at $50 it's not even funny.

Not really, considering that the game + 3 DLCs were less than $20 during a recent Steam Sale. Kind of hard to believe that the 4th DLC (which probably doesn't have Fast Travel either) is worth $30. Wait for the sale.

One thing that always bugged me is when you attached a higher level mob, you would do almost no damage. The damage you do is proportional to your level vs mobs... i did not like that. Wonder if this was ever fixed...

I got killed in the very first few levels multiple times because of this. even though the mob was only couple levels higher then me.

Back