• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Borderlands looking awesome

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
12,521
Check this brand new in-game video of the new Gearbox game "Borderlines"

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=59689

At first I was turned off by the funky art style, but now seeing it in action it looks very fresh and original, not the same old shit. And even better a single player type storyline designed with CoOp from the beginning which is awesome. We need more CoOp shooters.

Now this game just got on must play list this Fall :D From what I have read about the game, it is a weird mix of games like Left 4 Dead + Diablo. A CoOp shooter, with Action RPG elements like sort of like the Diablo series.
 
Borderlands.

Yeah I had been waiting for a couple of years for this game and had high hopes for this game until they ruined it with the new art direction. The game looks like total shit now compared to what it used to. Thanks for the update regardless.
 
Borderlands.

Yeah I had been waiting for a couple of years for this game and had high hopes for this game until they ruined it with the new art direction. The game looks like total shit now compared to what it used to. Thanks for the update regardless.

I agree I thought they first graphics looked better, but to me gameplay is still king, and if it is a fun and exciting game, this new art style will grow on me. I have to give them credit for trying something fresh.

Look at TF2, I hated that art design when I first saw the screen shots, I said WTF that is so Disney and gay, but then actually playing Team Fortress 2, the graphics are fucking kick ass, and I loved the game. So maybe Borderline will be the same way.
 
Borderlands Before:

borderlands_3.jpg



001.jpg



bord_large_1.jpg



Borderlands Now. (cartoony crapfest)

Borderlands_E3_Screenshot_6.jpg



borderlands_ss5_full.jpg



BorderlandsE3Screenshot1.jpg




I hope your are right Zoachus
 
Another gameplay vid here: http://multiplayer.it/video/borderlands-per-pc/borderlands-videoanteprima.lo/ There's an HD link as well but be aware this is an Italian site so it may download slow.

I definitely liked the look of the "old" better than the cartoony "new" but I remember the dev presentation a long time ago about how items and weapons were generated in the game. It looks interesting but I wonder why they changed the art style. Ah well, looks fun nevertheless.
 
Those old shots look awesome, but also unrealistic and way too hard for most machines to run the game playable, being in huge outdoor environments and lots of action, seems like it would bring most machines to a crawl ?

Lets see some really good quality in-game footage, with longer play scenes before we judge too early, I think in action the art style might grow on us and be fresh looking
 
phobic;1034397089 I definitely liked the look of the "old" better than the cartoony "new" but I remember the dev presentation a long time ago about how items and weapons were generated in the game. It looks interesting but I wonder why they changed the art style. Ah well said:
Oh I can tell you why. Consoles, I bet they changed the art direction so it would run better on consoles. PC gamers get the shaft yet again.
 
The new style reminds me of XIII from a few years back. It wasnt bad, and the art for it went really well. If they do it properly, it could actually pay off changing style. At least it's relatively unique.
 
Oh I can tell you why. Consoles, I bet they changed the art direction so it would run better on consoles. PC gamers get the shaft yet again.

I assumed that but since I play games regardless of console/PC I'm just looking for something fun. I'd say my days of being a total graphic whore are all but gone.
 
Can't wait for this one... October can't get here fast enough lol
 
I also much prefer the old graphics. Oh well, still looks like a fun game.
 
I was going to get this game till they wrapped it in Prince of Persia cell shadeing graphics. I was digging the old look of this game. Now it looks like every other game out there that tries to set itself apart with cell shading. Just not my cup of tea.
 
The new style reminds me of XIII from a few years back. It wasnt bad, and the art for it went really well. If they do it properly, it could actually pay off changing style. At least it's relatively unique.
This! I liked XIII.

There also was an option in Far Cry to run it in this "cartoonish" mode.
 
I think it looks awful now. also whats with all the points every time you kill something? I like games that at least try to feel realistic and immersive not some arcade type kids game.
 
I think it looks awful now. also whats with all the points every time you kill something? I like games that at least try to feel realistic and immersive not some arcade type kids game.

Since it's a FPS/RPG hybrid, I would bet those "points" are basically the "exp" you get in most RPG games. ;)
 
Since it's a FPS/RPG hybrid, I would bet those "points" are basically the "exp" you get in most RPG games. ;)

They can give you 10 million xp. The game still looks like bugs bunny on heroin now and no amount of xp will ever fix that.
 
Actually looks like alot of action.
Is this strictly online??? and CO-OP all the time??? or is there a single player component?

If the action is good, who cares what the characters look like.

Looks kind of like L4D.
 
Actually looks like alot of action.
Is this strictly online??? and CO-OP all the time??? or is there a single player component?

If the action is good, who cares what the characters look like.

Looks kind of like L4D.


That is my opinion. If the game is "FUN" graphics come 2nd. Sure the original design looked bad ass, but maybe it was way too powerful on most systems to run smooth with those killer graphics they first had ?

I am keeping the TF2 mindset, at first I was shocked how the screen shots looked too Disney and kiddy, but once I played Team Fortress 2 for the first time, I was won over immediately.
 
That is my opinion. If the game is "FUN" graphics come 2nd. Sure the original design looked bad ass, but maybe it was way too powerful on most systems to run smooth with those killer graphics they first had ?

I am keeping the TF2 mindset, at first I was shocked how the screen shots looked too Disney and kiddy, but once I played Team Fortress 2 for the first time, I was won over immediately.

I agree.......I looked at the trailer, it looks like fun, and the graphics are pretty darn nice to boot.
As I recall the SIN Episodes that never got off the first episode were similar.
L4D and TF2 are in the same boat.
I really don't care about the graphic as long as it supports the gameplay.
The idea seems really fast paced and fun, that said I'll wait a week or so to see what people say before I buy it.
 
Actually looks like alot of action.
Is this strictly online??? and CO-OP all the time??? or is there a single player component?

If the action is good, who cares what the characters look like.

Looks kind of like L4D.

You can play either co-op or solo.... a bit like Diablo 2. This game reminds me of D2 in the respect that there will be lots (and lots) of gear and you can do "boss runs" like in D2. There are also skill trees (I guess about every RPG out there has them, these days...).

The new art direction doesn't bother me so much... I agree that gameplay is more important...

Looking forward to this one!!
 
The graphics remind me of Crackdown. They aren't even bad at all I am surprised by people refusing to even try it because of the graphics. Regardless I am definitely going to be giving this one a try. It looks like a winner especially compared to all the other games coming out this year.
 
Borderlands.

Yeah I had been waiting for a couple of years for this game and had high hopes for this game until they ruined it with the new art direction. The game looks like total shit now compared to what it used to. Thanks for the update regardless.

AMEN!

New art style got it removed from my 'must buy' games list. :(
 
nothing wrong with the art style. like everyone says, tf2... hopefully a demo comes out for this game.
 
MILLIONS!!


How many? :)


The number doesn't matter :eek:


How many!!??!! I KILL YOU!!! :mad:


3,166,880 :(
 
what? no seriously is this the game thats advertising to have the most weapons ever in a game? how much people can play online?
 
It's a game with randomly generated variations on weapons like a Diablo like game.
 
The graphics remind me of Crackdown. They aren't even bad at all I am surprised by people refusing to even try it because of the graphics. Regardless I am definitely going to be giving this one a try. It looks like a winner especially compared to all the other games coming out this year.

I don't really consider it all that surprising. I don't think everyone has to have photo realistic graphics, but I do think that style matters to alot of people. I'm one of the ones that don't really like the change. When it comes down to it, graphic style does matter as that is what you are looking at. :) Its a matter of taste.....
 
FWIW, Maximum PC has it as the #1 game at E3 2009.

Mass Effect 2 is #3, Modern Warfare 2 is #6.
 
Back
Top