Borderland players with ATI?

Heh, thanks for pointing that out.

I tried the one that didn't require mounting an image and launching directly with the Borderlands.exe did work, and of course changing the name didn't work either.

The workaround works for me. Not sure why it wouldn't work for anyone else unless crossfire gets in the way. If that's the case, I'd never know as I only have one card.

Is there any gain besides being able to use AA with the UT3/Bioshock rename work around?

I've been running it on max settings, no ini tweaks, at 1920x1200 and I don't notice any slow downs.

Specs: q9450 @ 3ghz, 4gb ddr2 1066, 4870 512mb

I just made a copy of the exe in the common dir, renamed it to bioshock.exe then made a shortcut to the file on my desktop. it launches steam and the game without any issues.

i enabled AA and noticed nothing but lower performance. i ended up disabling it again.

*edit* single 4890, phenom 9850 @ 3.2, 8gb ram, win7 x64

I renamed Borderlands.exe in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Binaries
to Bioshock.exe, created a shortcut to my desktop for the new Bioshock.exe and I still get a Steam error when I try to run the game.

m0unds or lobski2 am I missing something?

I renamed Borderlands.exe in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Binaries
to Bioshock.exe, created a shortcut to my desktop for the new Bioshock.exe and I still get a Steam error when I try to run the game.

m0unds or lobski2 am I missing something?
You can't do it with the Steam version unless you replace the .exe with a no-CD-patched one.

You can't do it with the Steam version unless you replace the .exe with a no-CD-patched one.

Yeah I assuming m0unds and lobski2 had Steam installs but that's unlikely.

I tried one of the no-CD patches and it would get a Windows error whenever I tried to launch the game.

I tried one of the no-CD patches and it would get a Windows error whenever I tried to launch the game.

I did too, but I used a different group's crack, and it worked.

Actually I know for a fact that lobski2 has a Steam install, but that's not really important. I've heard this from several other sources already and it's been confirmed to work.

1920x1200 max settings 2x AA with the no-cd exe renamed to bioshock.exe. It get hiccups every now and then and at 4xAA I can really feel it slow down noticeably, but the game looks great to me at 2xAA

Last edited:
Huh, I get 40-70fps with Dynamic Shadows and Ambient Occlusion OFF and 20-40fps with them ON with my 4870X2 @ 2560x1600... doesn't seem right.

I'm struggling with my 4870x2 at 2560x1600 as well. If I turn off dynamic shadows it's very playable and stays above 60 most of the time. When I'm in the Headmine though, looking on one direction my fps drop in half.

When I turn dynamic shadows on I go down into the 20's and 30's. I have the latest patch and 10.3 driver. My cpu is overclocked to 3.8 gigs and got plenty of system ram and cpu not being used. Is there some kind of mod I can do like turn down shadow distance view or something?

Have you tried unparking your CPU cores?
I have an i7 @ 3.8GHz with Windows 7 and I seem to recall a nice improvement after unparking all my CPU cores.
I think someone on this forum made a post about it.

Back