Boot sector recovery issue

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by DeluzioNFX, Sep 12, 2017.

1. DeluzioNFX

DeluzioNFX n00bie

Hello,
    I have a HD that was not accessible in windows. I installed Testdisk and determined the boot sector was bad.

Originally i had 2 partitions ( OS Partition / Data Partition ) with about 750gb/1tb used. When i ran testdisk i didn't do a deepsearch to locate the partitions but i repaired the boot sector by copying the backup boot sector. I'm not sure what i did wrong but now i have only one partition of 930gb, with 27gb used.. But the drive itself is empty when i access it. So my question is: where are all the files, and is there anyway of getting my 2 partitions back? When i ran testdisk again i was able to see both partitions after i selected the deeper search option, but unsure what to do at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. philly cheese steak

philly cheese steak n00bie

Boot from the windows disc and do a repair........

3. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I doubt that will fix a missing / corrupt partition table. I expect it to say it can't find a windows install to repair.

4. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

try getdataback from runtime.org, will show you wahts recoverable before paying for it, plus its cheap

5. DeluzioNFX

DeluzioNFX n00bie

6. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

leave if youre trying to get data back

7. michalrz

michalrz 2[H]4U

Do you have another drive of similar size? I think you should image your current drive bit by bit before making changing anything.

drescherjm likes this.