System specs:
AMD Sempron 3000+ @ 2.15 Ghz
ECS N-Force 3-A >_>
Generic DDR400 1.5 Gigs total RAM
BFG Geforce 6800NU
Western Digital 240 GB HD SATA 7200
Maxtor 80 GB HD IDE 7200
Antec Truepower 400w

Alrite, my problem is I came home after an hour of errands and found my computer off (It was on when I left). I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't boot. However, the light on the motherboard was on. Reset the cmos battery and plugged the pc in a completely different socket using a different power plug and it still didn't boot but the light was on.

My question is, is this a possible motherboard problem or some other hardware failure, like the processor or power supply?

Note: A month earlier I was having problems with air flow in the case (As in I had next to none) and the hard drives were failing (IE BSODS). I use to have a third hard drive but even with adequate cooling (keeping it below 45 C) the second and third hard drives would continously fail. I finally unplugged the third and it began working fine for the next month or so. (Power supply insufficient?)

Any help is appreciated!

I'd try a different PSU, but it sounds kind of like a motherboard problem.

Could be a faulty PSU.

Sometimes when a PSU breaks it will still supply some power to the board (so the mobo power light is on) but will not boot the machine.

That would be where to start IMO. I have had many machines with broken PSUs that still get mobo power but just will not turn on.

Thx for the suggestions, I'll try another power supply and update you guys if it works or not.

Try pulling the Graphics Card. I've run into cases where faulty cards will keep the PC from booting.

MattWeb said:
Try pulling the Graphics Card. I've run into cases where faulty cards will keep the PC from booting.

Tried that, didn't work, pulled everything off except for the ram/cpu and it still wouldn't boot.

Back