Boot loop after bios screen loads.

Shockey

2[H]4U
So a friend brought me a laptop saying it won't boot.

I took it out and booted it up. Get the BIOS screen, then it just reboot and repeat the process again. I can press F2 to enter BIOS. It acts like it going to then just reboots. I do ge the message entering bios where it says press F2 to enter BIOS though.

I've looked on google for similar issues. People seem to have tried replacing motherboard. Some suggest bad power supply/battery.

Once it start looping the only way to shut it off is to unplug the charger and remove battery. Holding power button does nothing.

The laptop is a Gateway NV55C

Anyone have any ideas/suggestion on what to try or experience they could share?

Thanks

Reset CMOS?
Remove the hard drive and see if the BIOS screen loads correctly?

To add to what Danny said above, try removing the battery completely and booting with AC power only. Some systems will panic when the battery does something strange; I had an IBM T41 do this with a physically damaged battery, disconnected the battery and it chugged along happily.

How i reset CMOS?

I opened it up and it looks like the CMOS is clamped in. (plastic pins on both sides) There a motherboard pins to reset it??? Looked on google. Not much help on the matter....

I'll try removing hard drive to see if it stays on.

I tried just AC adapter. No luck with that.

Thanks for suggestions :)

How i reset CMOS? i opened the cover to access it and it looks like the batter is clamped in by plastic pins around it. There a way to do it on the motherboard with jumper settings? I looked on Google for answer but wasn't very helpful....

Try pulling hard drive out tomorrow.

I did try removing batter and just having AC power only. Same effect sadly....

Update,

Appear to be a bad hard drive. I pulled it. it boot and went through all boot devices and stayed on.

Inserted another to make sure and windows started loading :)

Back