Boot.ini disappeared

I resized a partition on my hard drive and formatted and installed a fresh copy of windows xp on it. Now the screen where I can choose between windows xp and windows vista (on another partition) has disappeared. Also, when I am trying to install the amd x2 drivers, the installation says that it cannot open the boot.ini file. I've searched for it but can't find it, hidden or not. What did I do wrong?

boot.ini isnt used once Vista is installed, theres a new bootloader, I forget the name..something like bootcfg

More than likely, what it sounds like to me happened, regardless of which bootloader is being used is that the drive that you have xp on is the first one in the boot order. It probably has always been that way, and when you loaded vista it loaded the bootloader in to the master boot record of the drive that was running xp. When you formatted it blew all that away, and ntloader was put back. I've never used vista, but I am betting there is something like the fixmbr command from xp that can restore vista's boot loader. Then at least you can boot into vista and configure it further from there so you'll be able to dual boot into xp too.

Back