BOINC

WooHoo! I hit 150 Million Cobblestones in BOINC overall today.

I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to get my 7970 online. That should be a good boost too.

Just thought I'd ask here, does anyone currently crunch with the AMD A10 7850K etc APUs? I'm assuming you can task the 4 cores and the GPU to BOINC and utilize the full apparent 800+ GFLOPs.

Reason I'm asking is it's new toy season for myself and I'm thinking of doing something different... Perhaps 5-10 MiniITX MoBos with these APUs powered using PICO-ATX from another switching PSU... all in one case.

I understand from a pure FLOPs perspective 780Tis is probably they way to go, but it's a hobby of mine to build things and I think a 10 APU "Cluster" in a single case would be pretty cool... Just have to see about running it all from one HDD in the "Master" mobo and the others booting off network with a BOINC Image.

I've no idea how effective the 7850K is with crunching, however you can go to servethehome and check out a cluster they did with Intels Avaton platform with all commercially available parts. The challenge for you might be the heat put out by those bad boys. So either some sweet cooling solutions or a custom case may be in order.

I switched a few boxes over, but forgot that the default profile setting and my "home" setting were different.... doh!

Yeah...I did switch over but since I changed the wrong profile I got some work that will run a little longer. No biggie as I'm not that concerned with it. I normally would have switched to running only GPU and PPS LLR work for a day before it started. But, I wasn't too focused last few days. That and last minute hardware swaps going on.

I forgot to switch over and I'm swamped at work. :(

I ended up finding a few minutes to program my "at" job and switch all my hosts to PrimeGrid / Cullen at 15:45 US/Eastern (two minutes after the challenge started). The majority of my crunching hosts have hyperthreading disabled so I'll be interested to see how they perform.

I just switched my 4P over. Estimated time to complete a task is 45 hours. :eek:

It appears our last minute contributions to Docking and eOn has paid off in Formula-BOINC. We have the max points in both of those. Looks like we still have a lot of work to do if we want to even try for 1st place in our League.

It appears our last minute contributions to Docking and eOn has paid off in Formula-BOINC. We have the max points in both of those. Looks like we still have a lot of work to do if we want to even try for 1st place in our League.

Well, it looks like primegrid is a good candidate for raising some points in formula-boinc :D

I ended up finding a few minutes to program my "at" job and switch all my hosts to PrimeGrid / Cullen at 15:45 US/Eastern (two minutes after the challenge started). The majority of my crunching hosts have hyperthreading disabled so I'll be interested to see how they perform.

Well you beat me b a long shot I was only 6 hrs. late getting them started, Had a emergence at work about 1 hr before the start time and I was not able to get them going on the challenge until 6 PM Pacific :(

Well you beat me b a long shot I was only 6 hrs. late getting them started, Had a emergence at work about 1 hr before the start time and I was not able to get them going on the challenge until 6 PM Pacific :(

Grandpa, you might consider using an "at" job in the future. I did the following for both recent challenges.

Convert UTC start time to local time.
  • Grab the date from their site, in this case May 20th 2014, 19:43 UTC
  • Remove extraneous text like "th" and the comma
  • Run "date -d May 20 2014 19:43 UTC"
  • Grab output and use it for "at" job, in this case "Tue May 20 15:43:00 EDT 2014" for my systems based in US/Eastern timezone
  • Run "at -t 05201543" (MMDDhhmm)
  • Enter path to script you want to run.
  • Hit Ctrl-D

I have a single host which is trusted by all my other hosts using SSH keys. I run the "at" job on that trusted host which copies over a enable-primegrid script to each host and runs it. Worked like a charm. I now have 772 cores running PrimeGrid. :D

I already have an at job in place for the exact time this challenge is over. I do not "abort" the tasks, but I set the "nomorework" flag and resume all my other projects at the same time.

Grandpa, you might consider using an "at" job in the future. I did the following for both recent challenges.

Convert UTC start time to local time.
  • Grab the date from their site, in this case May 20th 2014, 19:43 UTC
  • Remove extraneous text like "th" and the comma
  • Run "date -d May 20 2014 19:43 UTC"
  • Grab output and use it for "at" job, in this case "Tue May 20 15:43:00 EDT 2014" for my systems based in US/Eastern timezone
  • Run "at -t 05201543" (MMDDhhmm)
  • Enter path to script you want to run.
  • Hit Ctrl-D

I have a single host which is trusted by all my other hosts using SSH keys. I run the "at" job on that trusted host which copies over a enable-primegrid script to each host and runs it. Worked like a charm. I now have 772 cores running PrimeGrid. :D

I already have an at job in place for the exact time this challenge is over. I do not "abort" the tasks, but I set the "nomorework" flag and resume all my other projects at the same time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but you do realize that musky,s guides are known as Grandpa Proof, even though even my daily driver is Linux there is a reason for that term Grandpa Proof, (I suck at Linux) unless I can copy and past something odds are I will not be able to do it and I will screw something up. :eek:

They now require 7.2.0 clients in order to support their AMD apps. They also now have BETA work trying to get ASICS supported.

Good job with New Moon Challenge at Prime Grid guys. Our team is smoking everyone at the moment and of course brilong and Grandpa are leading the charge.

Looking at the other challenges, December I would only possibly participate in 1 of the 2 since WCG's X-mas challenge will be happening during both. Luckily, one has a GPU app and I can help there. Unless of course I decide that I can spare 1 day from WCG...

Last edited:
BOINCStats retired Chess@home, Physics@home, and SimOne. I have also removed them from the all inclusive DC List.

It's not been officially announced yet but:

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18428&sid=3ca4c9392108807c39d11c516beb97b3

Friends,

As an Admin/Forum Moderator of the Milkyway project I have been given advanced notice that their NSF grant has not been renewed and the project is in jeopardy of ending.

Fairly soon a major fundraiser will begin in hopes of raising $40,000.

I would like to see the Knights take this on as a personal goal to help out--start saving any pennies you have.

I will pass any info along as it comes.

Pete

I'm fine with that. I still have goals there anyways and it pushes our standing at the Vault. If they are having a challenge it would still be good to do some defense in the event that we didn't focus on it entirely. What does everyone think? I know that some have issues with the memory requirements, so if that is a concern, try supporting a split project setup with something RAM light like enigma.

We are also #1 in our League at Formula BOINC for NFS. Depending on the teams that participate, it might be good to keep that position. We are slowly moving up FB's ranks. We haven't really focused on it much yet.

Last edited:
Well, I woke up to a dead machine this morning, and (of course) it's my main production machine. So until I figure out if it is the motherboard, cpu, memory, PSU, or a combination of things, I'm down a quad, all my GPUGrid production (680), all my Moo! production (4870), and 25% of my CPU cores... I'm hoping that like the last time I lost a mobo, I can upgrade the rig to an i7 system from the FS/FT forum, but we'll see...

Good thing you have a few spare Socket 775 CPU's to test with.....lol

Back