BOINC

Atom is now doing closer to 300 RAC, guess it hadn't quite levelled out. I'll have to see how it goes, maybe it'll climb a little higher though I doubt it's got much more in it.
GPU app for Asteroids sounds good, should help rack up those points.

That deal is really tempting. However, I don't have anywhere to safely put it/run it and I don't have a power supply for it. I am keeping my eyes open for a server rack for future purchasing and am considering insulating my garage.

I'd love to get it, but we're taking a family vacation for Thanksgiving, so no extra cash until after Christmas... Damn plane tickets!

Hey Gil, you're going to end up with your own datacenter soon. I can see a few 20A lines dropped in to support it, and a wind farm not too far away to power it.

Kai, I would love to have my own wind farm, but my wife would NEVER share that vision. 20A lines would be nice, but I don't see it at this house. Maybe if we ever got the itch to move. At which point I would definitely be looking at power potential. Unfortunately, if our bill got that high she would cut this hobby off and I would be borgs only at that point. I'm better off just bumping it a little at a time and blaming the electric companies rate increases. :)

I think it's time to look for a little land for that wind farm plus custom house with underground server room... One can dream, yeah?

Are personal nuclear reactors legal yet?

I finally got my recycled Lenovo R52 up and running. http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/show_host_detail.php?hostid=30303 Though it wont give me more than just one core, it does work with QCN. So, I think I will keep this one to build points there. Too bad my job switched to Dell laptops. I would have liked to get a few more so that I could quickly move up the ranks there.
QCN also has a handful of sister sites. So those looking for WUProp badge upgrades, you can easily build run time by adding them. QCN is a non-cpu intensive app. To actually get points requires an accelerometer that they support. You can order a usb one or certain laptops can detect the accelerometer in the hard drive. However, for the purpose of the WUProp badges, you can get run time hours even without the sensor.

http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/
http://www.ras.unam.mx/sensor/
http://www.ras.unam.mx/continual/
http://qcn.stanford.edu/continual/
http://qcn.twgrid.org/sensor/
http://qcn.twgrid.org/continual/
http://qcn.emsc-csem.org/continual/
http://qcn.emsc-csem.org/sensor/

Last edited:
Excellent, so now you're well on the way to the top badge offered in WUprop!

Probably because they saw you and the few others on their way to the top this soon already...

Well...to be fair, I did point out to them when they first launched that the upper levels were too easy for many crunchers to hit. I'm glad they made the change. However, they still need to address those of us beyond the 100 apps mark. :D I should technically have a 6th star and progress towards a 7th.

Last edited:
I think you're among only maybe 5 people who could even have that honorific. :D

There would be a lot more if everyone attached to WUProp. Just too many people don't bother.

I was like everyone else too. But along with your urging, I found their results database to be really useful for purchasing decisions. Its a great and very underutilized project.

I think it is because a lot of people don't know or aren't looking for the information to actually be available. And then you have those who keep their own records.

That makes sense. I think there's a thread in the Einstein forums regarding GPU performance, and is a good bit more accurate than WUprop, but if more people attached to WUprop, then the info would be centralized.

Well...there are also some other unknowns like people running multiple work units on a single card vs. people running just one. Run times will be different running multiple work units. However, WUProp doesn't necessarily reflect the difference but rather an average of all reported work. So, the numbers for GPU's can be a lot different than reality.

Last edited:
Touché good friend! The many complexities and wonders of BOINC! Oh, get that motherboard yet?

Touché good friend! The many complexities and wonders of BOINC! Oh, get that motherboard yet?

Nope...no word yet. I am considering Win2k8 SR2 on it so I can get some experience with it.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good idea. Would be useful to know the ins and outs for future employers, or just because its fun. I'm still surprised he hasn't shipped it yet, but like you said, free is a great price. Oh, the return has been processed. Was a very quick turn around.

Looks like we are 22 for RAC and total credit in Asteroids.

That sounds like a good idea. Would be useful to know the ins and outs for future employers, or just because its fun. I'm still surprised he hasn't shipped it yet, but like you said, free is a great price. Oh, the return has been processed. Was a very quick turn around.

Sounds like good news. Keep me posted. Asteroids seems like a great project for systems with low ram resources. I will certainly have to keep it in mind with some of the systems I come across. ;)

sig.png

Fighting the good fight for [H] :D

R2h- great to have you! Noticed you on the teams RAC list, and was hoping you'd pop in to say hi...

So I finally found time to try (again) to reassemble my q9550 for my daughter (heheheh), and needed to free up a hard drive for it (and since my 250 Gb Steam drive is almost full, good reason to upgrade it too), I'm having to reboot a lot to swap drives around. So I figured what better time to also finally overclock the i7-950 rig I upgraded to recently? I used the typical 4Ghz voltage settings and upped it from 3.2 to 3.4, and only had temps increase under full BOINC load from 58 to 63. Now have it at 3.6, and max temp is at 65-66 on all four cores... I'm thinking 4Ghz is doable, and at these temps, 4.2 might be within reach, as that will be running the memory right at 1600 Mhz, plus an extra 25% BOINC CPU points as a bonus!

I'm thinking that when I finish the copy in about 20 minutes, setting it at 3.8 and letting it run Prime95 overnight to be safe, then go for 4 tomorrow night as I'm installing Windows on the q9550 and overclocking it, too. So if you see me dropping off the next few days, it's just part of my questions for MOAR POWER!

i7 9xx ALWAYS do 4GHz. I have overclocked literally thousands and didn't find a single one that wouldn't do it unless it was struggling with bad RAM, bad cooling, a bad board, etc. Running a 9xx at stock should be a crime when they OC so easily ;) especially when they handle fairly high temps like a boss too.
I found roughly 50% or a little less would do 4.2 without being a major hassle, they tended to need a lot more time spending on them as well as usually a decent bump in voltage to get there, so it could be a crapshoot sometimes.
I miss overclocking those...

R2h, we're more than happy to have you, glad you can join us.

I wouldn't doubt that you can hit 4.2 stable. Just be en careful with the temps, though those are looking good as is. Might have to reapply the ol' thermal goo and crank up the fan rpm to make sure you dont melt anything. But the only thingsyoure going to melt are boinc records.

Just finally looked at the badge list for WUprop and you guys make me jealous. I don't even have enough applications attached!!!

Just finally looked at the badge list for WUprop and you guys make me jealous. I don't even have enough applications attached!!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?:eek: LOL I could tell you how to fix that dilemma... I did list 8 up above that will give run time and are NCI even though they wont give points unless you have the right hardware to go with them...

This is true, and come Monday (the wife doesn't like all the systems on on the weekend when she's home) I'm going to be adding them and much more. I've got some catch up to play!!

i7 9xx ALWAYS do 4GHz. I have overclocked literally thousands and didn't find a single one that wouldn't do it unless it was struggling with bad RAM, bad cooling, a bad board, etc. Running a 9xx at stock should be a crime when they OC so easily ;) especially when they handle fairly high temps like a boss too.
I found roughly 50% or a little less would do 4.2 without being a major hassle, they tended to need a lot more time spending on them as well as usually a decent bump in voltage to get there, so it could be a crapshoot sometimes.
I miss overclocking those...

Yeah, I've been pretty stable at 190 bclk x 21, which is what most guides recommended for the most stable bus speed. I had to up the voltage from the recommended 1.25 to 1.2625 due to an error in Prime 95 about 4 hours in today on core #2, but temps are staying nicely between 74* & 77* on all four cores under full HT'ed load. Might try 4.1 or even 4.2 just to see if I can get 24 hour prime stable for bragging rights, but knowing the ambient temp in my house will go up a few degrees this winter when the fireplace goes on, I think a max of 77* is a nice low 24/7 speed... Hell, after a q6600 that couldn't do above 3.2 (due to a crappy case & airflow), and a q9550 that wouldn't stay stable with any overclock (crappy motherboard), I'm ecstatic to have finally joined the 4 Ghz club - better late than never... :D

But hey, should see a definite bump in BOINC points out of this machine vs. the stock I've been burning it in at!

Just realized that I only need 8.77 hours of POEM CPU runtime to change my first bronze star to silver... But I still need 17 additional projects up to 100 to get my second star. :eek: Primegrid helped a bit, now I need to go hit some personal goals on Yoyo - both have so many extra subprojects that you can rack up many WUProp tasks very easily... And they both have their own badges, too!

Just realized that I only need 8.77 hours of POEM CPU runtime to change my first bronze star to silver... But I still need 17 additional projects up to 100 to get my second star. :eek: Primegrid helped a bit, now I need to go hit some personal goals on Yoyo - both have so many extra subprojects that you can rack up many WUProp tasks very easily... And they both have their own badges, too!

Nothing like double dipping. :D

Well, third system booted fine, then I got a No OS found error... Realize the only extra optical drive I had laying around, and the one I put in the system without thinking, was a Sansung 48X CD-R/RW - so no wonder it won't boot my Windows install DVD... I guess this is what you get fro trying to add to the BOINC farm after midnight!

Pretty decent temps there, Jathanis, and a nice voltage too. Sounds like you have lots of headroom even if you do hit a small voltage wall to get to 4.1 or 4.2.

You can run Ubuntu from the CD and load BOINC from the repository. I have done this many times waiting for hard drives to come in the mail. Or even slap Linux on a thumb drive if it matters.

Microsoft has their own USB boot drive creator as well, so long as you download or have an image handy.

R2h- great to have you! Noticed you on the teams RAC list, and was hoping you'd pop in to say hi...

I'm not new to the [H]orde, but I'm reletively new to BOINC. I like being able to pick the projects I can support with my cpu cycles. :D

Folding@Home stats
sigimage.php

Back