Boeing CEO: We’re Going to Beat Elon Musk to Mars

Was it $50bn from the DOD?

I thought not.

It’s a matter of scale

Tesla has sucked up nearly 5 billion USD in US government subsidys. SpaceX another 5.5 billion.

That’s 20% of what you quoted for Boeing, and Tesla’s a lot smaller company than Boeing. Not to mention Boeing is effectively making lots of things directly for the US Military rather than the US (or worldwide) consumer.

This article even admits its impossible to calculate the full value of the subsidys Musk has received because both he and the consumer get them from federal, state, county, city and infrastructure levels.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story,amp.html

Last edited:
Aye, but Boeing's most experienced veterans of space travel are retired now. It's a new generation that needs to pick up the mantra, and Musk's company has just as much chance as anybody else.

Unlike Spacex, which is private and whose "sole purpose" is getting to Mars, Boeing still has investors, stock holders, and other business departments that all fight for budgeting and who have to answer/justify development process.

I agree Boeing has a lot more experience, but the entire Spacex organization is supporting and working towards the goal. I think the race will be similar time for both companies.

A publicly traded company will likely never go to mars, their stakeholders would have a hard time accept the risks and huge potential for bad PR.

Back