Boeing CEO: We’re Going to Beat Elon Musk to Mars

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:30 PM.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

On CNBC Thursday morning, host Jim Cramer asked Muilenburg whether he or Musk would “get a man on Mars first.” “Eventually we’re going to go to Mars and I firmly believe the first person that sets foot on Mars will get there on a Boeing rocket,” Muilenburg responded. Elon Musk offered a pithy response on Twitter: "Do it."

This is not the first time Muilenburg has challenged Musk’s plans to initiate human travel to Mars. At a tech conference last year in Chicago, Muilenburg echoed a nearly identical sentiment. “I’m convinced that the first person to step foot on Mars will arrive there riding on a Boeing rocket,” he said, according to Bloomberg. In recent years, Musk has generally been recognized as the face of mankind’s goal to colonize Mars due to his celebrity status.

2. DocFaustus

DocFaustus 2[H]4U

Elon's response is perfect.

RayderR6, _l_, PaulP and 9 others like this.
  3. Joust

Joust [H]Lite

Elon Musk is a visionary in many ways. Boeing has amazing resources at its disposal. I'd rather prefer if they worked on a joint venture and moved the timetable up by some years.

jtm55, qb4ever, Roberty and 3 others like this.
  4. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Boeing gets more in weekly subsidies than Musk could ever hope to scratch around for in a decade.

If Boeing really wanted it, they could.

5. jnemesh

jnemesh Limp Gawd

See, everyone who thinks from a money worshiping standpoint thinks that Musk is crazy. But MAYBE he's not interested in pure profit. MAYBE he is trying to prod the human race into advancing, and THAT is his primary goal! So what if Tesla is struggling? It's forcing the established players to react and offer their own electric vehicles! So what if SpaceX isn't the first on Mars...at least they prodded Boeing into action to get there! I think Musk is more concerned with the legacy he leaves behind than his bank balance...which is rare these days.

RayderR6, PaulP, Rebel44 and 18 others like this.
  6. Krixon

Krixon Limp Gawd

I'm glad that there at least seems to be a modicum of competition to explore outside our atmosphere. I don't care who does it first. China could do it first for all we know, given the infancy of a human-mars-expedition. All that matters is that it happens.

jtm55, qb4ever and mbelue like this.
  7. BloodyIron

BloodyIron [H]ard|Gawd

This is nothing but good. Competition for this will benefit the human race as a whole. Which, is the goal Elon has said the whole time. He doesn't care if others beat him at electric, or space, because everyone gains either way.

8. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Gawd

Screw Mars, I want a Moon base.

Bigshrimp and Burticus like this.
  9. tec1500

tec1500 n00bie

Moonbase Alpha!

Bigshrimp and Burticus like this.
  10. Pyro411

Pyro411 [H]Lite

That didn't work out so well in the latest Time Machine movie... they kind of blew off a chunk while excavating it.

MatthewK likes this.
  11. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

Silly. Boeing is a corporation that answers to a board and to shareholders. Unless they get a government contract that pays for a Mars trip they are not racing Musk to Mars.

PaulP, Rebel44, qb4ever and 3 others like this.
  12. jardows

jardows Gawd

Just do it! Anyone. Just do it!

PaulP and westrock2000 like this.
  13. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

MatthewK likes this.
  14. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Yeah they "excavated" it with a nuke and broke it. Try moon shovels next time, guys.

That movie has a lady as President of the USA. Sheer nonsense. The odds of that happening are 50/50 at best.

15. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Man, I saw that movie in theaters but I do not remember at all if it was even a good movie. But I do remember that scene. Damnit, I need to see it again.

16. wootius

wootius n00bie

"Do it."

Musk wins either way, so just do it haha.

PaulP likes this.
  17. Pyro411

Pyro411 [H]Lite

I say let them compete, add in a few other companies from other fields of specialty and then it'll get even more exciting, especially once they realize they've hit a brick wall in progress and start to collaborate on items.

mbelue likes this.
  18. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

19. sean.b

sean.b [H]Lite

exactly. 100% exactly that. i try to explain to people he's not one of my heroes quite so much for what he's done directly, but for what he's forced countless others to do. the auto industry shat down his throat for years, and now they're saying in the near future they'll be totally EV. he's pushing Boeing to a Mars race.

even if he loses in every venture, even if Tesla goes belly up and SpaceX closes, his life was a success. a raging, wild, unbelievable success.

IdiotInCharge, jnemesh, PaulP and 3 others like this.
  20. kinjo

kinjo Gawd

I actually think Elon Musk means what he said in response, I don't think it's about getting there first, for him I think it's about seeing us get there period.

PaulP and qb4ever like this.
  21. Xrave

Xrave [H]ardness Supreme

Competition is good

PaulP and qb4ever like this.
  22. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

23. aokman

aokman Limp Gawd

A space race to Mars, comoooooooon lets do this!

24. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Well shit Sheriff, lets get on it then! Get your ass to Mars!

25. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

all i can say is about god damn time we had some realistic competition in space again.. next 20 years is going to get real interesting(i hope).

on top of not having to pay taxes, don't forget that part.

26. jedijeb13

jedijeb13 Limp Gawd

I really liked that movie :)

We definitely need competition like this. Just imagine if AMD had never made x86 processors, it would have taken many more years before we broke the 1GHZ processor speed.

Governments got us into space, now it is up to the commercial interest to make it popular.

27. mbelue

mbelue n00bie

Definitely check it out. There are some slow moments but they all pay off.

28. Cyraxx

Cyraxx [H]ardness Supreme

Hate to say it, but Boeing does have the space experience unlike SpaceX. If SpaceX beats them I would be incredibly surprised... but shit happens, so I won't hold out hope. Either way seems like heathy competition.

29. daringx

daringx n00bie

Aye, but Boeing's most experienced veterans of space travel are retired now. It's a new generation that needs to pick up the mantra, and Musk's company has just as much chance as anybody else.

PaulP likes this.
  30. scan13

scan13 n00bie

31. nightfly

nightfly 2[H]4U

Gee, sounds just like another case of a huge corporation or rich people who have lots of extra money they can spend, but that doesn't trickle down and give nice fat raises to the rest of the workers. Nope, we'll hire more at the same entry level salaries instead.

Let's go to Mars.

32. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak Gawd

Well shit, that was easy. Mission Accomplished! Let's go celebrate while the guys/girls out in the shop cross the t's and dot the i's.

33. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

HAHAHHAAA, he is as pure as the driven snow on which he walks.

34. jnemesh

jnemesh Limp Gawd

I am not sure where your attitude comes from? Jealousy? Resentment that someone is succeeding at life and all you are capable of is sniping at him in comments on an obscure forum? What is the point? I never said he was Jesus, I just said that his main objective doesnt appear to be profit for profit's sake.

35. oldmanbal

oldmanbal Gawd

Since no one is going to do this anytime soon, anyone can say i will beat XXX to mars. You might die before it even happens.

36. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

I just remember this him from way back and the model S was going to be for the masses and it was going to change everything. Which sounds to me like Steve Jobs but all Musk has done it make toys for the super rich, cars nobody can afford, solar roofs which nobody can afford not to mention every project he gets into has some major government subsidy.

37. Thorvaldsen

Thorvaldsen n00bie

Oh this is going to be interesting. Challenge accepted!

38. blkt

blkt Gawd

39. mr.Loma

mr.Loma n00bie

I've lost a lot of respect when musk announced he wanted to sent mark Mars by shooting a car into space. That's just promotional bullshit.
    It serves no purpose and shows why privatisation of something like space isn't really a good thing.
    So if Boeing's project is a bit more scientific and would somehow stop other people from putting random useless objects into space, I'm all for it.

mullet likes this.
  40. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

That’s rich. Ever looked at the amount of subsidies Tesla gets? The company would have gone under without them too.