Board POSTs Twice

Vegas P11

[H]ard|Gawd
I got my sig rig Oc'd to 3.45 and whenever I start from a cold boot all the fans spin up for a second then shutoff for a second then starts back up normally. CPU voltage is at 1.45. Memory is at 1410Mhz with a slight voltage increase to 1.6 (2.0 is max according to Patriot). If I reset CMOS it starts fine.
I did some searching and found a few threads that talk about Gigabyte boards doing this and some said not to worry about it. Any ideas?

My Biostar board does that... don't know why. I know this doesn't help but I can't figure out if its something worth RMA'ing... Quick question, can your computer pull itself out of S3 sleep states ok?

My Asus P5Q Pro has been doing that since I got it two years ago. It's been stable @ 3.4 this entire time. If everything else is working okay and it's otherwise stable, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably something in the BIOS forcing it to restart to apply uninitiated settings... who knows.

My Asus P5QL-E does that if I turn off the power at the wall after shutting down.

If I shut down now, it would turn on 'normally'.

all my gigabyte MB;s have this issue from a cold start.its like it starts and then rechecks and then starts up.

My Biostar board does that... don't know why. I know this doesn't help but I can't figure out if its something worth RMA'ing... Quick question, can your computer pull itself out of S3 sleep states ok?

No, I just tried it and it wouldn't come outta sleep. It does when I have it at 3.1Ghz.

The double boot is normal for P35 based Intel boards. Its more like a self-test before the actual POST sequence. Some BIOS updates resolved this to normally boot, but i didn't update since the double boot never really bothered me.

Check with your motherboard manufacturer (maybe in their forum), they'll give you a better idea.

My P5KC does that when I overclock to 3.6. Good to finally know it's nothing to worry about. :p

Yeah, I've checked on the MSI forums and they give their usual response. Clear CMOS and run at stock. Not [H]ard.

most likely whats happening is the cold post is failing but the board automatically reboots and passes the test on a warm boot. my biostar board did the same thing. sometimes it would tell me it failed the cold boot due to the overclock but ran perfectly fine with the overclock after that.

Your clockgen is setting to a different speed and rePOSTing the board each time.

This happens on a few boards.

My gigabyte board did that but it turned out to be a memory isssue

both rigs in my sig do that. Never understood why, but it does. Not OCed yet either on a fresh BIOS flash. No issues to report here.

Back