Board holding me back? Q9450

ep3w

Gawd
I have a Q9450 running on an EP35-DS3L with 2x2GB Gskill DDR21066. I have gotten it stable at 3.2Ghz with 1.2875v in bios (1.216 in cpuz) and +.1v for GMCH. It took 1.3475v, +.2v gmch and +.1v fsb to get it stable at 3.4Ghz. With +.1v gmch it would run like 4 passes of IBT then blue screen. Is it my board holding me back? I am running ram at 1:1, stock speeds with 2.1v. Is there something else I am overlooking? Temps are in check.

Probably some, L is for light, this was the budget version. I would not push it too hard or you risk overheating the mosfets. 3.2 3.4 aint bad, I cant get over 3.4 with the quad (8 x 380) no matter what I do but this same board would easily do 7 x 470 with a dual core 6300 so what I am saying is that a quad on these older boards will limit your OC. A newer board would likely help. The question is, is whatever you are doing will benifit from a couple of hundred MHz and will that be worth the price of a new MB or if you are a gamer would putting the cash into a faster video card be better (almost always is for gamer).

Put a fan on the MCH heatsink if you have not already done so. The MCH gets OCed just like the cpu at higher FSB. That might help a bit.

/shrug.

Back