BNC and SVGA?

Kido1986

[H]ard|Gawd
I was debating wether I should switch to BNC for my 21" Dell (Sony) Trinitron. Is it higher quality?

I read about some problem with BNC in an older thread on here.

Do I need special drivers for it to work correctly?

Also, if I connect both, do you think my 9600Pro will detect 2 different monitors and allow me to dual displays by switching the monitor from BNC to SVGA signal?

I don't think it would be higher quality or not, but using BNC, doesn't let the computer know what kind of monitor it is attached to since BNC isn't PnP.
I use BNC on my 21" since that is the only connection on it.
I don't know about hooking up both a BNC and VGA to the same monitor, it should work. Try it and see and let us know.

I will get a BNC cable tomorrow and test.

BTW, your profile alone nearly made me bust a nut :p

I LOVE WS6's, I just can't afford one :(

Only 17 and can't get a job where I live.

Really the only reason to use BNC over Analog D-Sub, would be for cable lengths of 15 feet or greater. BNC is less susceptible to signal interference, so it is possible, but highly unlikely, to get a noticeably cleaner image than Analog D-Sub for normal desktop use. But I wouldn't spend any money on an extra cable unless I needed to place the monitor really really far away from my computer.

Originally posted by EarthwormJim
Really the only reason to use BNC over Analog D-Sub, would be for cable lengths of 15 feet or greater. BNC is less susceptible to signal interference, so it is possible, but highly unlikely, to get a noticeably cleaner image than Analog D-Sub for normal desktop use. But I wouldn't spend any money on an extra cable unless I needed to place the monitor really really far away from my computer.

Why would the BNC be able to go longer than the HD15?
I've got a 6ft BNC cable attached to a 6ft VGA extension which is connected to another 12ft VGA extension hooked to my PC.
and it works great,
vga_cables.jpg

rgbhv.jpg

vga.jpg

Originally posted by WS6
Why would the BNC be able to go longer than the HD15?
I've got a 6ft BNC cable attached to a 6ft VGA extension which is connected to another 12ft VGA extension hooked to my PC.
and it works great,

[

With a D-Sub connector, all of the wires are in one bundle, with rather limited shielding and cable length should not exceed 15ft (granted depending on the situation, like monitor quality and location of the cables, you could get away with going a little over20ft) because of signal interference. With BNC, each of the Red, Green, Blue, and Sync have their own shielded cables, which allows you to have much much longer cables lengths. You can buy 100+ft long BNC cables, I'd like to see you go that length with D-Sub.

With a D-Sub connector, all of the wires are in one bundle, with rather limited shielding and cable length should not exceed 15ft (granted depending on the situation, like monitor quality and location of the cables, you could get away with going a little over20ft) because of signal interference. With BNC, each of the Red, Green, Blue, and Sync have their own shielded cables, which allows you to have much much longer cables lengths. You can buy 100+ft long BNC cables, I'd like to see you go that length with D-Sub.

I have this cable and it works great, granted it's only 50 feet long,
50footVGA.jpg

Wow that's a big cable. What do you use it for?

Connection between the PC and the Projector.
I don't use it in my room now since it's so long, I am using 24' of cable now with the 2 smaller extensions.

Here at work we use 100' VGA D-sub 15 cables all the time. They're pretty good quality though. I don't think I'd try to run at a really high resolution, what we usually run them at is 1024x768 as that's the native resolution of our projectors. The biggest I have made an image was on a screen size of 10.5'x14'. I have never seen any problems with the image from one of these cables. I do AV at a hotel here in Charlotte and we have some pretty nice gear. Each of our 100' cables costs about 125-150 bucks.
We've had no problems, with the exception of a cable just going bad, but now we try not to run over the cables with the sissor lift. :)
I've seen no difference between the rgb and the d-sub 15, but as I've said, that's probably because we rarely go over 1024.

I run at 1280x1024 on my projector since I have the 2 VGA outputs in Mirror mode off of the computer and I like to run 1280x1024 on the PC monitor. 1024 is just too large for me.

Hey guys anyone know the wiring for a bnc to vga
we have a projector in the sim room here at the college and it has these four wires:
R (red obviously)
G (green)
B (blue)
sync (h sync I believe)
sync (v sync I believe but not hooked up)
I told my teacher I saw something on the internet to convert them to vga so we could hook it up to a computer video card so do some testing. so if anyone has a wiring "guide" I would appreciate it!!!

we also have to align it which will be a biznach
if anyone has some tips ahead of time that might be time savers and not very known to people I would love to hear it too

Originally posted by Kido1986[LG]
I was debating wether I should switch to BNC for my 21" Dell (Sony) Trinitron. Is it higher quality?

I read about some problem with BNC in an older thread on here.

Do I need special drivers for it to work correctly?

Also, if I connect both, do you think my 9600Pro will detect 2 different monitors and allow me to dual displays by switching the monitor from BNC to SVGA signal?

No need to worry about any of that, just plug it in, load the .inf driver for the monitor and you are golden. Despite the posts about projectors and other non-sense on here, for a 21" monitor at high-resolution it will deffinately help. As a designer I have been lucky to work on a lot of the very best equiptment (as far as visul quality) and I have used a couple different kind of "premium" cables with mitsubishi and trinitron tubes and good-quality BNC cables and the BNC cable wins in image quality tests at 1600x1200 and 2048x1536 hands down. Solid stable image, no moire, no crawling, just very crisp. Those other guys are right about their lower res projectors and everything, it just isn't applicable to your monitor.

Originally posted by onaclov2000
Hey guys anyone know the wiring for a bnc to vga
we have a projector in the sim room here at the college and it has these four wires:
R (red obviously)
G (green)
B (blue)
sync (h sync I believe)
sync (v sync I believe but not hooked up)
I told my teacher I saw something on the internet to convert them to vga so we could hook it up to a computer video card so do some testing. so if anyone has a wiring "guide" I would appreciate it!!!

we also have to align it which will be a biznach
if anyone has some tips ahead of time that might be time savers and not very known to people I would love to hear it too

You can just buy a VGA to BNC cable. I am running one on my projector and one on my Monitor.
You can opt to get a 12" one and just buy a longer high quality D-sub15 to d-sub15 extension like the one I have pictured above, it's cheaper than buying a really long BNC to VGA cable.

Here is the link to modify your current cables,
http://www.mycableshop.com/techarticles/VGA.htm

Back