Bluetooth headsets for use with Windows that don't suck?

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
At my last job we had Surface Laptops and Surface accessories. Mice, keyboards, headsets you name it and they all played nice with each other. Including the uber expensive Surface headset.

At the new place we use Dell's, which as far as I know have the exact same Intel WiFi/Bluetooth adapters but I cannot get a single bluetooth headset/ear bud combo to work long term. They all eventually need to be disconnected and re-paired to work properly.

Am I doing something wrong?

I've tried a JBL headset, Razer earbuds, generic earbuds.

Anyone have a bluetooth headset they swear by in Windows that doesn't misbehave at the worst possible time?

Any bt headset or inear worth its money comes in 2 versions: teams and open standard (has a special name i cant recall). Usually there is consensus in the company which one to use.
Since you want stability simply choose one with its own usb dongle.
Jabra, if its only for work.

For reviews YT: call one inc

BT drivers are up to date?
yup
Any bt headset or inear worth its money comes in 2 versions: teams and open standard (has a special name i cant recall). Usually there is consensus in the company which one to use.
Since you want stability simply choose one with its own usb dongle.
Jabra, if its only for work.

For reviews YT: call one inc
will check it out

Stick with the name brands like Sony, Beats, Sennheiser, Bose, B&W etc, and stay far, far way from the budget/no-name ones, as their chipsets & build quality are well known to be hit & miss, mostly miss....

I've used all of the above both at home & at work, nottaproblemo...

HOWEVER, I have found that when you have 20-50 people in a mid-sized room, all of whom are using BT headphones/earbuds, in addition to mice, keyboards etc, there will be some dropped connections from time to time, which is easily fixed with a delete & re-pairing..

Why are Bluetooth headsets still unusable on windows? Windows can play back sound at high quality just finde, but if any programs accesses the headsets microphone windows switches into headset mode which makes everything sound terrible. Why this still a thing? My phone has no problem playing back at high quality while using the mic. The Bluetooth implementation in windows is terrible. It's either high quality sound with no mic access or terrible sound but access to the mic.
I 100% agree with you. I don't understand. Between Intel and Microsoft this should be something we can figure out. It is a real problem in the enterprise. You shouldn't have to use a $300 jabra bluetooth headset to have quality bluetooth meetings on Windows.

I've used my Sony WF-1000XM3's without any real issues on Dell's 7xxx series Latitudes (Both in Windows 10 and 11). But I have seen others struggle. If your having issues, run windows updates, including optional updates and if you really wanna be through... use the Dell Command software to ensure it's the latest drivers & BIOS.

That said... I've learned that wired USB headsets are king for reliability on laptops.

I haven't tried them Bluetooth yet, but the Audeze Maxwells are pretty awesome. They come with a USB-C dongle, but also have BT 5.3 and support LDAC.

Back