Blu-Ray-On Fire Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Although the deal doesn’t officially start until Monday (17th) Amazon, OneCall and a few others already have them listed and B&M stores should have them listed by Monday and or advertised in the Sunday Paper.

Watcha get? How about a Sony BDPS-300 with the 3 disk Spider Man collection Plus the usual 5 BR disk mail in promotion for…wait for it…$299.99.

At the moment the unit is selling most everywhere for $399.99 on sale down from $499.99 so this one will be hard to beat.

Before you ask, no, this requires no mail in rebate for the actual dollar savings, $299.99 will be the out the door price. The only mail in part will be for the 5 free disks.

This promotion ends on the 29th but everyone should have plenty in stock or on order.

Enjoy:D

thats a nice deal.... however i just bought a ps3 and glad i did for less than 100 bux more.

Saw it in the BB ad for tomorrow. I get mine a day early. Pretty good deal, but the prices are going to have to come lower than $300 if they want to grab the base.

Saw it in the BB ad for tomorrow. I get mine a day early. Pretty good deal, but the prices are going to have to come lower than $300 if they want to grab the base.

I really admit, I do get a kick out of you and your nonstop thread crap on anything having to do with Blu-Ray.

You might be interested in this though:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=89242

Almost all Sony ES Dealers have more of these pre-sold then are available. Some people will buy for quality over price.

Why would anyone pay $1299 for a movie player? That's ridiculous. I almost bit on the $199 HD-DVD player, but I will wait for a more clear picture in the format war.

I really admit, I do get a kick out of you and your nonstop thread crap on anything having to do with Blu-Ray.

Almost all Sony ES Dealers have more of these pre-sold then are available. Some people will buy for quality over price.

He said he's getting one.. You can't possibly interpret it as a thread crap if he makes a logical comment afterwards.

Bill, I was merely confirming the deal so others know. I said in order for these to go mainstream and grab the base, either format will have to go much lower than $300. It really isn't fire hot at all. Fire hot would be a low enough price to give people a reason to throw away their $50 DVD players with $7 movies.

But he's right. $300 IS too much for the bulk of home movie watchers to want to spend on a DVD player.

I like BluRay better, and I think it will win in the end, but, the players need to drop under $100 to be mainstream.

Also, the movies should be a little cheaper, not more. I'm tired of $15 a DVD prices, I bought 400, if I'm going to buy the same movies again that I already bought before, I sure as hell want to pay less the second time around.

They need some promotion where you could trade in a movie you have and buy the same on BluRay for $5. That's almost like $5 free for the movie company, somebody already owning the movie and paying again to get the same one?

crazy to give $299 for a blu-ray player when you can get a PS3 for $100 more. Even if your not a gamer.

i already got my ps3, but this deal is pretty nice.

has anyone gotten their blue ray movies for those that sent in that MIR to el paso??

/puts his fingertip on the deal
/waits
/waits
/waits
No burn reflex, not even a sensation of warmth.

Sorry, but any dvd player, no matter how glorified, will have to be under $200 to be "on fire hot". :D

I wish it was -- i'd consider buying now instead of waiting for a clearer victory or cheap combo drive.

That is a good price, but I gotta agree, the ps3 deal is the better way to go.

I have an elite xbox 360, but my wife was pestering me for xmas ideas for me and I just said hell with it, get me a ps3, so hopefully thats under the tree.

Bill, I was merely confirming the deal so others know. I said in order for these to go mainstream and grab the base, either format will have to go much lower than $300. It really isn't fire hot at all. Fire hot would be a low enough price to give people a reason to throw away their $50 DVD players with $7 movies.

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent, we are at odd on this subject;)

While I agree there will always be a market for throwaway grade players people who want the best video quality possible are and have been willing to spend more. The same holds true for CD and held true back in the day for Turn Tables and Phone Cartridges.

For years we had no problem selling these:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/dvd-players/sony-dvp-ns999es

And Toshiba built a competing piece for just under a grand and those sold well also.

There will always be a High End market for everything High Tech and Toy like especially when the difference is demonstrable. Pioneer has no issue selling its 6k Elite Plasma HD sets or even their standard line 4k sets because they simply look better.

Hell, why would anyone buy a 250k Mercedes “S” type sedan if that were not the case or any other of the numerous high priced cars out there. Those companies exist because there is a market.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree on formats ok?:)

I dont know why but id rather spend 300 on that LG dualformat DVD drive.:D

Yes, looks like a good deal as well. I’ll probably do one for the main system here myself. On the other hand I’d like very much to have one that was a burner as well.

I am one of those guys who really dislike having my digital rights managed.;)

Please leave the format wars out of this thread. If you feel it is not a good deal, post a link to where you can find the same item for a better price.

its a fantastic deal, and im not saying dont buy this if it suits your needs.

I would personally recommend not buying ANYTHING until a winner is declared though. Your gonna end up with a great deal on a $300 paper weight if Blu Ray loses.

While i generally agree with you, I think its all relative based on your definition of value and of a good deal. Using the #s provided by the OP, $299 compared to the "normal" $499 is a 40% savings. Thats pretty hot if you ask me. Compared to the sales price of $399, thats a 25% savings; still hot. That being said, I would never consider personally jumping on this. The format war is retarded, and this is still way too much for a media player in my opinion. But, for those in the market, this deal looks to be pretty hot.

its a fantastic deal, and im not saying dont buy this if it suits your needs.

I would personally recommend not buying ANYTHING until a winner is declared though. Your gonna end up with a great deal on a $300 paper weight if Blu Ray loses.

No comprendo. 1. mod said to stop talking about this... and THIS is the end all to your problems. Just get a Dualformat that costs the same as a single format :D

As for this deal, it looks like they are going for about 400 bucks so 25% off aint bad

Why would anyone pay $1299 for a movie player? That's ridiculous. I almost bit on the $199 HD-DVD player, but I will wait for a more clear picture in the format war.

One word...

Wait for it....

QUALITY!

You get what you pay for. You don't put a $20.00 DVD player or a 300.00 Bluray player in a home theater where your video processor costs more than most people's "home theater" or "media room".

Really people. Just because you are such cheap little bastards doesn't give you the right to start harping on the stupid "HD Wars". You either like one or the other. If you're a videophile, you have both as I do.

This is a great deal on this specific player. It works great and I've had absolutely no problems with the one I currently have.

I already own two but at this price you simply cannot pass this deal up! I need one for the garage!

Call me when media costs less than $15 and standalone players are lower than $100 (regularly that is, Black Friday specials don't count).

Until then, the LG dual format drive is a MUCH hotter deal. And, it's cheaper. And, thanks to Slysoft, there's no HDCP/DRM worries. And, there's no worries of it being obsoleted. And, an HTPC offers infinite more possibilities than a standalone players. Win-win there. :D

Really people. Just because you are such cheap little bastards doesn't give you the right to start harping on the stupid "HD Wars". You either like one or the other. If you're a videophile, you have both as I do.

A videophile should know that even the most expensive of the most expensive standlone players cannot touch NVIDIA's Purvideo HD decoder.

One word...

Wait for it....

QUALITY!

You get what you pay for. You don't put a $20.00 DVD player or a 300.00 Bluray player in a home theater where your video processor costs more than most people's "home theater" or "media room".

This is a great deal on this specific player. It works great and I've had absolutely no problems with the one I currently have.
lulz, you'd be pretty stupid to pay $1200. It hardly costs them any more money to make that player over their low end players. It just has a revised image and sound processor, and a slightly different chassis. It is a long shot from "QUALITY" in huge letters. In the realm of HD consumer video, there is a fine line between videophile and stupidity.

EDIT: No point in arguing with the poor people of the audience.

Anyways. This is still a hot deal and not an argument about the various video processing equipment nor the HD Wars.

Wholesale is what, 15% less because of Sony's policy? Even then I wouldn't pay over $300 for it. The markup from the factory is simply amazing.

but zomg my theater is all 1080p too. Whoopidy doo. :confused:

FYI- there are a lot of issues with the Sony 300. I would stay away from that player. The Samsung 1400 is the same price and would be a better buy IMHO- although it is not without issues too, but Samsung seems to be a lot better in correcting them. If you buy a BD or HD-DVD player make sure you update the player to the latest firmware. Both HD formats are not quite "plug and play" like dvd is now- issues always come up with new movie releases.

Look at this thread for info on the Sony:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=860948

Scott

FYI- there are a lot of issues with the Sony 300. I would stay away from that player. The Samsung 1400 is the same price and would be a better buy IMHO- although it is not without issues too, but Samsung seems to be a lot better in correcting them. If you buy a BD or HD-DVD player make sure you update the player to the latest firmware. Both HD formats are not quite "plug and play" like dvd is now- issues always come up with new movie releases.

Look at this thread for info on the Sony:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=860948

Scott
WTF? I didn't know that many issues existed. There's like 80 pages of people just straight up bitching about it. If you look on the first few pages, they say all the bugs will be ironed out with new firmware updates.. then you skip forward 3 months and they are saying the same thing.. and then you skip forward to today and they are still saying the same thing. :p I'd be royally pissed about that.

But as a heads up on a Samsung player, my neighbor across the road has one and he randomly gets a problem where in the middle of a movie it will just go back to the blue Samsung load screen. Then he has to navigate back to where he was in the movie because it loses his place.

Pesonally, I think it's too early on in the game to purchase a stand-alone player. I think the PS3 is your best bet because you wouldn't have to worry about it becoming obsolete due to the format war (not that I think either side is going anywhere for quite some time). Additionally, the media prices are crazy. I can't see why a less compressed image of the same movie should be worth ~$10 more than the SD version. It is the same movie after all, they just didn't compress the quality out of it. For the record I have the XBOX 360 HD-DVD add on drive and have only bought those few movies that I knew I would watch again and again. Everything else gets rented until this nonsense gets straightened out.

Also looking through the list of free movies, nothing there really wants to make me run out and get a Blu-Ray player of any sort.

I actually posted this deal yesterday morning. I ordered a Sony player for my dad for xmas. Originall bought him a samsung, but im gonna return it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1252827

The stuff is already on sale at Amazon. $294 for the BDP-S300 with Spiderman 3, POTC 3, and 5 movies by MIR.

Also a Samsung player for like $277 i think. And a HD-DVD player for $230 with 10 free movies.

Still lacks DTS HD-MA(believe a firmware was supposed to allow over bitstream) and the sony ES lines has not been good for a number of years now. Back in the day they were some of the best CD and DVD players you could get, now it is just marketing.

lulz, you'd be pretty stupid to pay $1200. It hardly costs them any more money to make that player over their low end players. It just has a revised image and sound processor, and a slightly different chassis. It is a long shot from "QUALITY" in huge letters. In the realm of HD consumer video, there is a fine line between videophile and stupidity.

Actually, it is more than just a revised image, sound processor and different chassis. Even with the ES line being watered down from what it used to be, it is much more than you make it out to be.

Actually, it is more than just a revised image, sound processor and different chassis. Even with the ES line being watered down from what it used to be, it is much more than you make it out to be.
Explain. It is all digital processing hardware. It doesn't cost much more for them to produce. The research costs might be a little more, but it is all lumped in with their R&D departments. The tolerances of the ES line are tighter, but certainly not worth the money. They know they can capture the foolish people who spend vast amounts of money for name brands and 'the best' when in reality it is like putting perfume on a pig. The ES line doesn't offer much over the other models, or even their competition.

Oh well, rich people have money to blow, so let them blow it. Just like Abercrombie clothes aren't any better quality than Kohls, American Eagle, and most other department stores, but they cost three times as much because of the name. Meh, if I was rich enough I might buy a $1200 player too, even if I knew it was only marginally better than the $500 players.

As a former Sony Employee, we got 40% off retail pricing, and 60% off the ES Line. So, your buddy's at One Call and others are STILL making plenty of money on these players.

This is a damn good deal for that unit. :D

Wholesale is what, 15% less because of Sony's policy? Even then I wouldn't pay over $300 for it. The markup from the factory is simply amazing.

but zomg my theater is all 1080p too. Whoopidy doo. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back