mrjones
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Mar 24, 2009
- Messages
- 161
The motherboard (older 775) still let power through it and the cpu fan still spun up but it's toast most likely. (it's actually all apart now,was good reason to get newer i5/dx.11 setup for kid)
The psu was making odd noises and I thought it was just the fan going so I turned it off with no problem and made the mistake of turning it back on before testing the psu with a tester and it threw a surge through the computer and starting smelling.
My question is , with a surge like that does it usually take the cpu and memory with it ? the vid card is fine so far but the cpu socket smells burnt and the memory smells fine.
I'm debating on getting a cheap 775 motherboard to see if it's salvageable and is there anyway a blown cpu or memory could fry a new motherboard ?
The cpu is an intel e8400 and its 2x2gig sticks which ran even the newest games just fine.
The psu was making odd noises and I thought it was just the fan going so I turned it off with no problem and made the mistake of turning it back on before testing the psu with a tester and it threw a surge through the computer and starting smelling.
My question is , with a surge like that does it usually take the cpu and memory with it ? the vid card is fine so far but the cpu socket smells burnt and the memory smells fine.
I'm debating on getting a cheap 775 motherboard to see if it's salvageable and is there anyway a blown cpu or memory could fry a new motherboard ?
The cpu is an intel e8400 and its 2x2gig sticks which ran even the newest games just fine.