Block of Ice Glowing Red Hot?

You guys are all wrong.

It is simple. Raise the pressure on the ice cube. That will raise the melting point.

So instead of melting at 0 degrees celsius... it melts at 5000 degrees Celsius.

Oh yeah, I knew... we are talking killer pressure it.

;)

I call shens.

It is heating elements, three sides of which are covered with black metal. The inner side of the elements have the actual heating element metal exposed, they glow red/orange hot and light up the ice cube like a christmas tree... which proceeds to melt. The paint of whatever black that is on the outer surfaces of the elements literally start to burn toward the video's cutoff, that is where the flames are coming from.

If something was heating the actual ice, it would shatter, no matter how homogenous the "magic ingredients" were, it would shatter.

You can see toward the left side of the top element inner surface that it is glowing hot, no way simply reflecting the magical burning ice would look like that.

when the flames starts showing, it sounds as if someone released a valve somewhere.

exposed heating elements is most definitely the answer for the glow.

A red glow is actually on the coolest side of the spectrum. If it were glowing blue, then that'd be something to write home about.

well, if anyone cared to notice, just fractions of a second before the flames appear, you can watch lots of melt-water come running off the cube and then stop.

Cool, haven't seen this demo before.

Anyone who had an inductive cook top knows that they can put their hand over it and not be burned. Induction only transfers energy under limited circumstances. Metals can be inductively forged and heated because the electrons are moved internally with a current proportional to that applied externally by coils like those seen in the video. Having wasted my time operating a ICP-AES (Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectrometer) I had tour groups from local high schools come through the lab. Beyond the usual light sable references, I also exclaimed that I could yank open the door to the instrument and thrust my hand inside and not get burned. Mostly because I knew the safety features would shutdown the inductor, but beyond the quartz tube inside which protected the inductor and guided the plasma and did heat up significantly, the plasma itself has very little mass. In the video a small spark provides the free electrons which collide with the water vapor and presumably a inert gas like argon in the case knocking off more electrons and creating the plasma around the ice cube, but only the glowing part is actually being heated, especially if the cube is made of distilled water which has a low conductivity. The light inside the cube is most likely refracted from the formation of plasma in areas obscured by the coil, not inside the ice cube. The flame is from the hydrogen and oxygen split apart by plasma recombining. Hope this helps.

Cool, haven't seen this demo before.

Anyone who had an inductive cook top knows that they can put their hand over it and not be burned. Induction only transfers energy under limited circumstances. Metals can be inductively forged and heated because the electrons are moved internally with a current proportional to that applied externally by coils like those seen in the video. Having wasted my time operating a ICP-AES (Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectrometer) I had tour groups from local high schools come through the lab. Beyond the usual light sable references, I also exclaimed that I could yank open the door to the instrument and thrust my hand inside and not get burned. Mostly because I knew the safety features would shutdown the inductor, but beyond the quartz tube inside which protected the inductor and guided the plasma and did heat up significantly, the plasma itself has very little mass. In the video a small spark provides the free electrons which collide with the water vapor and presumably a inert gas like argon in the case knocking off more electrons and creating the plasma around the ice cube, but only the glowing part is actually being heated, especially if the cube is made of distilled water which has a low conductivity. The light inside the cube is most likely refracted from the formation of plasma in areas obscured by the coil, not inside the ice cube. The flame is from the hydrogen and oxygen split apart by plasma recombining. Hope this helps.

Liar! We ALL know it's Witch-craft! :D

Back