Blizzard: Single-Player, Not Co-Op, "Is The Clear Choice" of Diablo 3 Players

Offline patch, please. Or at least one that allows me to play on my PC and not on a server on the other side of the world...

I prefer co-op. I understand why people play single player too though.

lol, wonder where are the Diablo apologists are now claiming that no one played Diablo for the single player.

Uhm lol, how did I know this would be posted?

Learn to read the entire article. This is because of the higher chance of Magic/Gold find, not because of any other reason. If you weren't penalized for playing with a group(as this patch will fix), most people would be playing Co-op.

I love it when people pull tiny quotes out of articles and change the meaning of it.

I am not supporting this always online BS, but seriously this was fail.

I'm not surprised by the conclusion, I always preferred to play by myself. I think I only spent a week or 2 playing Diablo 3 before getting bored, and I do not think co-op would have made it any more fun, I felt annoyed more than anything at playing with other people in the game. I really think they botched it by making it 4 player only co-op, it was much more fun having 8 players in Diablo 2 and doing Baal runs all night long. For some reason, that never got old and the fun lasted for years.

I cannot say the same about this Diablo 3, but I am not surprised by that, with SC2, I did not think that Blizzard would meet my expectations with Diablo 3. I do however, feel like I did get $60 worth out of the game, but no more than that.

I'm not surprised by the conclusion, I always preferred to play by myself. I think I only spent a week or 2 playing Diablo 3 before getting bored, and I do not think co-op would have made it any more fun, I felt annoyed more than anything at playing with other people in the game. I really think they botched it by making it 4 player only co-op, it was much more fun having 8 players in Diablo 2 and doing Baal runs all night long. For some reason, that never got old and the fun lasted for years.

I cannot say the same about this Diablo 3, but I am not surprised by that, with SC2, I did not think that Blizzard would meet my expectations with Diablo 3. I do however, feel like I did get $60 worth out of the game, but no more than that.

The problem I have is that the drops seem to get worse in ACT 2 Inferno while the difficulty is through the roof compared to ACT 1. Maybe when they fix the drops/difficulty it will be more enjoyable in coop. Right now I have just been doing ACT 1 Butcher runs(and Elites/Champions) with 3 others and we all usually have over 100% MF after we get our NV.

It's a quote in the middle of an article about the patch.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039025891&postcount=7877

They are saying people prefer Solo BECAUSE YOU GET PENALIZED FOR PLAYING IN COOP. I don't know who wrote that gamespy article, but I don't think they know how to read either.

That's an extrapolation, for all you and Blizzard know people genuinely aren't interested in playing co-op irrespective of how that impacts on loot drops. That theory might be proven if Blizzard comes back and tells us that there has been a seismic shift from SP to co-op after the patch changes, but the only thing we know right now is that solo is the preferred mode of play.

Haven't purchased the game because I will only play this in single player and refuse to be connected to the internet the entire time. I believe there are a lot of players just like me.

EDIT: Woohoo, HardGawd status!

The problem here is since a majority of this game is about farming, people would play the "most farming efficient" ways so it would be really hard to tell if more players actually prefer solo or coop.

Not unless they can truly balance it so that there's no any advantages either way

single player is preferred in D3 because of bad game design

D2 encouraged people to party together by increasing drop rates & XP as party size increased

drop rates & XP don't increase in D3 as party size increased.

there was also much less incentive to farm in group due to shared MF and champion groups being harder in groups due to higher HP. Blizzard is going to make adjustments and fix this in 1.04 but this isn't going to bring back people that quit D3 imo.

I'm not sure if 1.04 is adding this, but Blizzard also needs to add a group version of the Nephalem buff for MF & XP that increases based off of party size to further encourage partying.

the one thing that might bring back players is adding a ladder to D3 and PvP. PvP is who knows when and Blizzard has said they do not plan on ladder resets I'm guessing due to RMAH. In its current form (even with 1.04 changes), D3 eventually becomes REALLY STALE.

I tried random grouping with others a few times and it was pointless. If you aren't grouped with someone on voice chat, then it's absolutely pointless to be in a group unless they are going to carry you through the content.

Drop the Online stuff and make 50% of the drops relevant to my character and i'll go back to the game.

How about... we get both. If SP fanboy lovers complain then, they should be permabanned (even from offline play).

:D

I prefer to play solo but connected to Battle.net so I can trade my loot. I prefered this in Diablo 2 as well. So I can play with others when I want, and play alone when I want. I don't care for an acutal single player mode like a lot of people are wanting.

Stupid fucking Blizzard,

Its what the community has been telling you all along, but you didn't listen. Maybe if you had listened and made the game a Singleplayer game with mulitplayer options like the others and not based the game around a Auction House your game might have been better.

Also it should read like this

Blizzard: Single-Player, Not Co-Op, "Is The Clear Choice" of Diablo Players

Last edited:
Stupid fucking Blizzard,

Its what the community has been telling you all along, but you didn't listen. Maybe if you had listened and made the game a Singleplayer game with mulitplayer options like the others and not based the game around a Auction House your game might have been better.

Also it should read like this

Blizzard: Single-Player, Not Co-Op, "Is The Clear Choice" of Diablo Players

You summed up my thoughts exactly. And those of you saying "it's because coop penalizes you", it's IRRELEVANT! It doesn't matter WHY players overwhelmingly prefer offline, it's that they DO prefer it. That's like saying people only like cheeseburgers more than hamburgers because there's cheese on them. Bottom line, blizzard fucked up and no amount of fanboism is gonna change that.

I prefer to play solo but connected to Battle.net so I can trade my loot. I prefered this in Diablo 2 as well. So I can play with others when I want, and play alone when I want. I don't care for an acutal single player mode like a lot of people are wanting.

Same here. I haven't even gotten the achievement for joining a public game yet and I've spent tons of time soloing. And as I've mentioned in the main discussion thread, playing solo online is not the same as playing offline. If I had to choose between the two: offline for better latency etc. or online for the AH and reading general chat nonsense, I'll definitely choose the latter.

That theory might be proven if Blizzard comes back and tells us that there has been a seismic shift from SP to co-op after the patch changes, but the only thing we know right now is that solo is the preferred mode of play.

Blizzard can say anything they want, that doesnt make it true. I'd easily expect them to lie if it suited their needs in the PR department, esp about things the common person has no way to disprove.

Same for that article.

Anyone who trusts the press nowadays for anything is nuts. There's so much PR spin going on I'm amazed the entire world isn't puking from being so dizzy.

More revisionist history in this thread... Diablo 2 lastest so long because of closed battle.net and the economy it created, the ladder resets, etc.

Yes they should have had a SP offline mode, but stop acting like that is what made diablo 2 great.

Diablo 3 wouldn't have been more than a blip in gaming history without closed battle.net... much the reason why Torchlight II (looks to be a great game btw) won't have any staying power due a completely open, cheat if you want to, online system... thus no economy.

A lot of people find it fun to "get rich" in a closed system.

I welcome these changes as I like to MF in groups to work together.

I know i don't like playing co-op because you usually end up in a group of mute sociopaths that run at a frantic pace through the levels and don't help ANYONE and just aggro all the mobs so if you trail behind them YOU die. All they do is run strait to the next boss, they can't even bother to type "Hi!" if i say hello or anything.. its boring, rude, and just not fun to be at the mercy of someone else's idea of what the pace should be.

More revisionist history in this thread... Diablo 2 lastest so long because of closed battle.net and the economy it created, the ladder resets, etc.

Yes they should have had a SP offline mode, but stop acting like that is what made diablo 2 great.

Diablo 3 wouldn't have been more than a blip in gaming history without closed battle.net... much the reason why Torchlight II (looks to be a great game btw) won't have any staying power due a completely open, cheat if you want to, online system... thus no economy.

I am willing to bet a lot more people like having cool loot that drops for their character and not everyone else which forces them to use the AH in order to get the gear that should of dropped for them.

That's funny, because I played a ton of Diablo 2 and never got on closed battle.net at all...

I am willing to bet a lot more people like having cool loot that drops for their character and not everyone else which forces them to use the AH in order to get the gear that should of dropped for them.

Agreed but this didn't happen in Diablo 2 either, more revisionist history. You had to trade with the botters and work the economy to get the upper end/elite gear. You could "finish" the game with what you found but that is not what we are talking about here.

That's funny, because I played a ton of Diablo 2 and never got on closed battle.net at all...

Really... you played for 12 years all by yourself? I seriously doubt that...

Really... you played for 12 years all by yourself? I seriously doubt that...

I did it. An assortment of high 90s characters, Windforce, Grandfathers, all sorts of rare items. I fail to see why you think it's impossible to play single player. Just because some people have ADD and need interaction with other players doesn't mean everyone does. Hell, there are even forums devoted to the single player aspect of D2.

Edit: Yes, I tried BNET when my friends coerced me into playing it. But 95% of the time I was playing single player, legit, no hacks.

I did it. An assortment of high 90s characters, Windforce, Grandfathers, all sorts of rare items. I fail to see why you think it's impossible to play single player. Just because some people have ADD and need interaction with other players doesn't mean everyone does. Hell, there are even forums devoted to the single player aspect of D2.

Ignore the troll.

Sigh... I didn't say it was impossible... and I did say they should have included an offline mode.

Ignore the troll.

Glass houses about trolling.... but I have to remember this is hard, anything but blind revisionist history butthurt is trolling.

The longevity of D2 was not pushed by the same money that made it so successful. Casuals make up the largest portion of Blizzard sales, harcores make up the population that remains once the sales blitz is over. Hardcores make them less money than casuals, period.

Casuals also spurred the majority share of the success of D3. Now we see if they continue to pander to hardcores to keep the game successful for a long time.

I didn't play every day for 12 years, but yeah, I put tons of hours in and played exclusively SP and occasional non-closed co-op (very rarely, though).

Edit: Yes, I tried BNET when my friends coerced me into playing it. But 95% of the time I was playing single player, legit, no hacks.

I have no problems believing you, I fully understand the mentality that leads you to desire to play alone, and that's because you like being able to enjoy the game on YOUR terms, not someone else's terms.

I think some people have lost sight of that.

That is the problem, the game isn't fun. Its a "get rich scheme" kind of game. Diablo 2 lasted so long because :

1. The Items where interesting.
2. The game rewarded you with good items (set) early on, thus kept you interested. Also "Set" items where true set items, with one combination of stats.
3. The storyline and characters where intriguing also the atmosphere was much better.
4. The Trade system was based on Bartering with other players, making the game more sociable not spending half of your time by yourself glued to an Auction House screen.
5. Diablo 1 & 2 didn't try to be something that they were not.

Diablo 3 blurred too many lines between a MMO and a Singleplayer experience. The overall game experience felt like it was rushed out the door in order to get the Auction House running and start making Blizzard more money.

Blizzard fell to the Lord of Greed.

Like many companies though, I think it is a sign of the times. The economy is in the red and companies are trying everything they can to keep afloat. You might could theorize that Blizzard made these changes because of the economy, but its a stretch.

Last edited:
Diablo 3 is going to need an expansion that is at least as good as Lord of Destruction to have any decent chance at longevity. Three months in and I am well and truly over this game.

Diablo 3 is going to need an expansion that is at least as good as Lord of Destruction to have any decent chance at longevity. Three months in and I am well and truly over this game.

Same, I un installed it a couple weeks ago. The Collectors Edition box has been relegated to a book end.

They're getting rid the invulnerability mob affix, the enrage timer and mobs that reheal completely.
That alone should allow me to finish inferno. Those "features" were retarded to begin with. I'll give it a shot when 1.0.4 is out....

I played through single player D2, had a blast enjoying the lore and beating it. Then when I got bored I moved onto closed battle.net. Played that a lot then got bored of the grind. Then I moved onto Hardcore mode. Had fun, and then after a few times dying I was done.... that may have been close to the time when Morrowind caught my attention.

Point is, I played single and multi player D2 and enjoyed it. Blizzard didn't tell me how to play.

i think this is because of the initial hacking that was done and blamed on co op games.

i know blizzard said this wasn't the case but i and i know others still have avoided public co op because of this.

Couple of my friends only still play diablo 3 to bot farm gold and sell it in the RMAH.

Very horrible I know, but after seeing the top 1000 players having played 24/7 since its release, blizzard doesnt care. They make money off the RMAH, so why would they ban botters?

Either way my buddies are making $20-40 a day while letting there lvl 60's farm hell act 4.....stupid and shady, but what can you do.

D3 is now a botting money making machine for Blizzard....they know it...and allow it to happen!

Back