Blizzard Helps Cops Track Down WoW Player

It has to do with the incredible stigma placed on Cannabis, opium, and cocaine over the years.

Cocaine - black man's drug, used to rape white women
Opium - Chinese man's drug, used to rape white women
Marijuana - Mexican man's drug, makes them steal from white men, and... rape white women
Alcohol - White man's drug, acceptable

It's no coincidence that Alcohol has remained untouched since 1933, while everything else has become illegal. Our current drug policy has 100% to do with racism and xenophobia.

Wow, I like to see you quote where did you got that information from? Is that accurate?
Nevermind, let's not waste my time on an argument.

Yes, but as long as it's the white man doing it, there's no problem :D

BTw, I'm not white and I sincerely think you're either a complete idiot or a racist resentful S.O.B. based on the ideas exposed by your posts so far.

Steve, please ban me.

BTw, I'm not white and I sincerely think you're either a complete idiot or a racist resentful S.O.B. based on the ideas exposed by your posts so far.

Steve, please ban me.

What did he say that's so off? Look up stigma in the dictionary and then tell me that he's completely wrong.

How can you deem it victimless?
How do you know there weren't any complications from drugs he dealt?

I'm not taking sides but if he was indeed dealing in Schedule III and IV drugs (Anything from steroids to prescriptions meds) it's a big deal.

You can argue the merits of legalizing marijuana on both sides, but I cannot find a valid reason for allowing abuse of prescription drugs.

For those interested here's a listing from the DEA on the schedules narcotics.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/scheduling.html

He's not forcing anyone to buy the drugs. I actually hate recreational drugs and would never use them but I think people should be free to do to themselves whatever they want to granted that they do not harm others. Besides, people abuse drugs they get from pharmacies so I don't even understand your argument.

OH NO!!

Can't have people getting high while playing WoW and decimating a few metric tons of Doritos!!! :p

I'm sure glad Blizzard stepped in to help the police catch this dangerous WoW-playing marijuana dealer. We can't have people running around Azeroth with REEFER MADNESS.

This absolutely kills any respect I have left for blizzard. They had no obligation to oblige and they willingly gave up personal information on a guy who is a nonviolent criminal.

Furthermore, and this is the big one, the charges had NOTHING to do with the game. It would be a different case if he was selling drugs through the game to people. He was not and therefore the involvement of blizzard entertainment is absolutely unnecessary.

All it says to me is that they are a shitty company right on par with the telecom companies that spied on american citizen then wanted immunity. I'm glad i went back to EQ2

It has to do with the incredible stigma placed on Cannabis, opium, and cocaine over the years.

Marijuana - Mexican man's drug, makes them steal from white men, and... rape white women

It's no coincidence that Alcohol has remained untouched since 1933, while everything else has become illegal. Our current drug policy has 100% to do with racism and xenophobia.

Did you create a new account just to be bigot without repercussion or do you really post like that?

This absolutely kills any respect I have left for blizzard. They had no obligation to oblige and they willingly gave up personal information on a guy who is a nonviolent criminal.

Furthermore, and this is the big one, the charges had NOTHING to do with the game. It would be a different case if he was selling drugs through the game to people. He was not and therefore the involvement of blizzard entertainment is absolutely unnecessary.

All it says to me is that they are a shitty company right on par with the telecom companies that spied on american citizen then wanted immunity. I'm glad i went back to EQ2

I'm sure there's more to the story than just a simple case of Blizzard sticking their nose where they don't belong. I'm willing to go as far as to bet that the criminal makes his sales pitch and contacts through the game. That makes it Blizzard's business.

Pfft what? Whatever spaz......racism huh?

I'd be upset with Blizzard releasing all that personal info on a SUSPECT without a warrant. If the police had solid evidence, they'd have a warrant. Heck, the investigator even admitted he didn't expect to hear anything back, and was totally surprised when he received a PACKAGE of information about the SUSPECT.

Manaknight, riot8ap, read the terms of use agreements when you next log into, or register a World of Warcraft account, it's all there. You allow them to share your information with the law enforcement if need be, be it to track down criminal activities, act on suicide threats, terror/whatever threats and so on.

It all boils down to, "don't be a dumb fuck". This guy would have been fine if he'd kicked that addiction.

I have a feeling blizzard might get sued over this, and they should. Ok, so hes a criminal, they still violated his rights by giving out his info, and they did not have to. This was in another state, and basically all law enforcement can do is ask nicely. Blizzard just bent over and said,"give it to me in the ass" and they didn't even have a warrant!!!

I, for one, am not going to buy any more games from a company who chooses to violate someones rights on a whim like this.

everyone is blasting this, and i agree its put harshly... but honestly people, its not completely wrong. marijuana was outlawed because mexican workers abused it, giving a bad image to the drug. i dont know how accurate the others are, but cocaine was also viewed as the rich white man's drug until the columbians revealed their society behind it.... and absolutely yes, alcohol is the white man's drug of choice and therefore has not been associated with all the other drugs. we actually say "drugs and alcohol" everyday in our terminology as if its a sensible thing to preach! it would be like going around saying "flowers and flower pedals" smell beautiful or something, its just stupid.

No, you get a fucking clue. They're illegal because Drug Companies and Christians don't like them. Give me a different reason that's acceptable, but I doubt you have one.

/endstory

correct. christians started it with their racism towards the hispanics (it was also convenient that black people liked the drug too). the Rx industry came into play a bit later, sealing the fate of marijuana and other drugs for decades to come.

All Prohibition did was shit on the Constitution and encourage bootlegging and organized crime. It was lifted because it was deemed UNCONSTITUTIONAL

why doesnt anyone get this? our forefathers would be absolutely IRATE at our society today... the patriot act was the dagger in the heart, we are no longer the country those guys created.

I love racism arguments.

Usually the ones who get others riled up are crying wolf and have never experienced racism, nor even know the meaning of the word.

Regardless, Blizzard should not have given out the info without a warrant. This will come back to bite them in the ass.

Regardless, Blizzard should not have given out the info without a warrant. This will come back to bite them in the ass.

I dont think so. Do you think anyone really gives a rats ass and will stop playing WoW because of some drug abuser?

Here's a clue for all you whiners, don't break the law and you wont have to worry about going to prison. OMG! Common sense! The only class they don't teach in school....

I'm a little too lazy to go looking at Blizzard's privacy policies, though knowing Blizzard it's probably something along the lines of "All your information are belong to us!". :p

Never really thought about it like that...

Because anyone with an IQ over pocket lint knows there isn't anything in that statements that merits a response other than a laugh and a shake of the head that there is someone that stupid out there.

Common stereotype for alcohol is irish, blacks, indians, and rednecks.

I dont think so. Do you think anyone really gives a rats ass and will stop playing WoW because of some drug abuser?

Here's a clue for all you whiners, don't break the law and you wont have to worry about going to prison. OMG! Common sense! The only class they don't teach in school....

I'm sure quite a few people will care about it, I didn't say that they would stop playing. But privacy is an issue, what happens when news spreads that Blizzard folds for all sorts of LE w/o warrants?

Cops sitting in WOW trying to entrap people into cyberbullying or any other possible crimes..Or simply people who aren't LE contacting blizzard and getting peoples personal information?

Or LE personnel abusing this (I'd imagine quite a lot of them play WoW).

Privacy is an issue, theres a reason why warrants are required.

If they didn't have a warrant to get the information, there likely isn't enough evidence to be harassing the person. In this case it turns out it was justified, but that is likely the exception not the rule.

OMG! Common sense! The only class they don't teach in school....

Don't forget, all the kids are playing WoW at school on their laptops half the time. They're learning their "common sense" and "morals" from something that can entertain them for hours on end and relieve them of their homework because "They have a raid to go to".

MOM I CAN'T COME TO THE DINNER TABLE I TOLD MY GUILDIES I WOULD RAID WITH THEM I CAN'T TELL THEM NO NOW

Brb, watching all the WoW-freakout kids on Youtube and being reminded of how that game is destroying children everywhere

If you don't want to play a Blizzard game because they help law enforcement if they're asked to - and it is in the contract each player signs, no matter what you say about it holding in court it is something you read and agree too or you would not be playing - then you're not going to be playing many games, or visiting many forums and social websites.

You wouldn't want to have anything connected to you in any way. Knock your teeth out, burn off your fingerprints, live on the street - now you should be safe.

I took a look at the WoW Terms of Use Agreement. This is what I found:

C. Blizzard may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, Chat logs, and other information about you and your activities: (a) in response to a request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process; or (b) if Blizzard believes that doing so may protect your safety or the safety of others.

does anyone know if blizzard has it in their ToS that they can openly give all that information away without a warrant of some kind?

I don't play WoW but knowing Blizzard, they like to work around their own system; a buddy of mine got banned for swearing in a city channel even though it wasn't a bannable offense.

Isn't the game rated T for Teen?

There had to be more to it than he said. To get myself perma-banned, I had ot cause a wave of grief and disruption...from inciting chat-storms that crashed the server, to gambling schemes, to sexual harassment of GMs...it's actually very hard to get perma-banned.

Now, if he just had a short suspension, those happen to all of us. when /lfg was active, spamming guild-invites was a quick way to get that.

Pot meet kettle..

Kohlberg's stages of moral development said:
In Stage one (obedience and punishment driven), individuals focus on the direct consequences of their actions on themselves. For example, an action is perceived as morally wrong because the perpetrator is punished. "The last time I did that I got spanked so I will not do it again." The worse the punishment for the act is, the more "bad" the act is perceived to be. This can give rise to an inference that even innocent victims are guilty in proportion to their suffering. It is "egocentric", lacking recognition that others' points of view are different from one's own. There is "deference to superior power or prestige".

Amazing how much money they just wasted hunting down a guy who dealt some pot. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars. After all, he was probably going to sit in a dark room, eat doritos and play world of warcraft. I feel so much safer with him off the streets.

im sorry if this is harsh, but that is the single most retarded statement ever repeated in history.

If he hid behind a proxy server or used a friend's cellular USB modem he would not have ahd a problem and gotten caught.

It amazes me how many want to use drugs and defend their use. I include alcohol and tobacco in this as well. Why do people wish to be slaves to someone selling them a chemical? How is the street pusher any different from the pharmaceutical pushers in this case? I see those who want to use "recreational" drugs attack the pharmaceuticals simply because they are legal, yet if both are doing the same thing in effect, what is the difference? You are still paying someone else to give you a chemical. The only difference I can see is that people who use pot and other illegal drugs are defending their use simply because they want to keep using them regardless of whether or not they are harmful or illegal, while some pharmaceuticals actually do provide benefits of a medical nature. Some, but not all. What I do know is that the alcoholic defends their drinking, the tobacco smoker defends their smoking, and the drug addict justifies their drug use. Addictive behavior sacrifices or perverts reason, apparently from what I see here even to the point of blaming race and religion. I suppose chemistry and biology are to be completely ignored? Science has much to say about the body and how chemicals affect it. Is that all then just a lie? But then, you know better than they, do you not? Is that not how it is in your mind?

I know nothing I say would change the minds of those who desire to use such chemicals, but I pity you regardless. You are victims of addiction, and yet you defend that which victimizes you because you don't see it as such. I hope one day you realize this and find help. Attack what I say if you wish, but I have seen too many "harmless" drugs destroy far too many lives to see any benefit in them whatsoever, and I will applaud the arrest and conviction of every dealer of every illegal drug or illegal use of prescription drugs, no matter how petty they may seem.

Umm not everyone who supports legalization uses drugs.

I dont touch drugs including alcohol and tobacco but I am 100% in support of legalization.

As far as the racist stigma attached to certain drugs, its true guys get the fuck over it.

It may sound harsh to read, especially the way posted but here is a perfect example...

Crack and Cocaine are essentially the same exact drug, yet until very very recently crack yielded MUCH higher prison sentences for both dealers and users. Crack is a poor mans drug, and is often used by impoverished minority populations. In fact this is an issue that our justice system has acknowledged in recent years and is taking strides to attempt to correct the issue. Or so they say.

We would be much better off allowing drugs to be produced legally, and putting all the money we spend into treatment programs instead of law enforcement. Overnight the cartels would collapse, and drug related violent crime would drop very quickly as well.

Fact is, no one that is going to use heroin, or crack or meth gives two flying shits whether its legal or illegal. When prohibition was passed the consumption of alcohol related substances actually increased. Making drugs illegal does NOT fucking work, its time we tried something else. Take it from someone who thinks all drugs are disgusting, and has been sober his whole life.

I have a feeling blizzard might get sued over this, and they should. Ok, so hes a criminal, they still violated his rights by giving out his info, and they did not have to. This was in another state, and basically all law enforcement can do is ask nicely. Blizzard just bent over and said,"give it to me in the ass" and they didn't even have a warrant!!!

I, for one, am not going to buy any more games from a company who chooses to violate someones rights on a whim like this.

Rights don't come into it, your right to privacy is perfectly balanced by your right to simply not play WoW.

Exactly what info they gather, and exactly how it may be used is mentioned in the Terms of Service, which are presented to you before you start playing, and are freely available on their website without ever having to make a purchase.

*Everyone* who plays WoW has given explicit, informed, consent for information about them possessed by Blizzard to be used in this way. And they consent to it again everytime the game receives a patch/update, which is usually several times per year, and any time they do a reinstall.

If you choose to agree to Blizzards policy on how they will/may use info that they gather while you are playing, it's pretty retarded to feel butthurt when they use that info in precisely the way they told you that they might.

It amazes me how many want to use drugs and defend their use. I include alcohol and tobacco in this as well. Why do people wish to be slaves to someone selling them a chemical? How is the street pusher any different from the pharmaceutical pushers in this case? I see those who want to use "recreational" drugs attack the pharmaceuticals simply because they are legal, yet if both are doing the same thing in effect, what is the difference? You are still paying someone else to give you a chemical. The only difference I can see is that people who use pot and other illegal drugs are defending their use simply because they want to keep using them regardless of whether or not they are harmful or illegal, while some pharmaceuticals actually do provide benefits of a medical nature. Some, but not all. What I do know is that the alcoholic defends their drinking, the tobacco smoker defends their smoking, and the drug addict justifies their drug use. Addictive behavior sacrifices or perverts reason, apparently from what I see here even to the point of blaming race and religion. I suppose chemistry and biology are to be completely ignored? Science has much to say about the body and how chemicals affect it. Is that all then just a lie? But then, you know better than they, do you not? Is that not how it is in your mind?

I know nothing I say would change the minds of those who desire to use such chemicals, but I pity you regardless. You are victims of addiction, and yet you defend that which victimizes you because you don't see it as such. I hope one day you realize this and find help. Attack what I say if you wish, but I have seen too many "harmless" drugs destroy far too many lives to see any benefit in them whatsoever, and I will applaud the arrest and conviction of every dealer of every illegal drug or illegal use of prescription drugs, no matter how petty they may seem.

you must be young... i dont mean anything bad by that, but that is a very blindsided view. the world is MUCH too complicated for anything to be cut and dry- especially addictions that are many times needed (the reason people have addiction is because we as animals are addictive creatures. we love to fall into a habit, its a survival thing). furthermore, all drugs and medicines are administered to dull pain, either physical or emotional, and if you think anyone who takes drugs for those reasons should be banished from society... well... youre quite honestly asking to live in a world alone.

If he hid behind a proxy server or used a friend's cellular USB modem he would not have ahd a problem and gotten caught.

if youre wanted by the us marshals its probably a good idea to stay off the grid alltogether...

It amazes me how many want to use drugs and defend their use. I include alcohol and tobacco in this as well. Why do people wish to be slaves to someone selling them a chemical?... blah blah blah, (mindless propaganda), blah blah blah...

I know nothing I say would change the minds of those who desire to use such chemicals, but I pity you regardless. You are victims of addiction, and yet you defend that which victimizes you because you don't see it as such. I hope one day you realize this and find help. ....blah blah blah

Slaves! LOL! I've got 30 bottles of liquor sitting by me, and over the whole holiday season I've only had one drink. Most people have no problems with alcohol or any other chemical substance.

You on the other hand are a mindless slave of government who is incapable of thinking for himself. I pity someone who isn't mature and sophisticated enough to make their own decisions, and can only repeat what they've been brainwashed into believing.

FTA
"A warrant was issued for his arrest in 2007."

"None of that information was sound enough to pursue on its own, but putting everything we had together gave me enough evidence to send a subpoena to Blizzard Entertainment."

Looks like they did.

Back