Blank screen, Nothing Boots

adamvk

Limp Gawd
As simple as the title says. My motherboard broke awhile ago and a replacement came just today. I put everything back in and back together, hit the power on Cosmos, and nothing showed up on the screen. Cpu fan is spinning, video card has power and the video card fan is spinning. Ram is all in, I've tried swapping all of the ram in and out and to different slots. The ram is almost brand new and worked before so thats not the problem. All of the motherboard lights are on, the optical drives all have power and open/close just fine. All the cables are plugged into the correct places. Im desperate! Any ideas of how to get this working?

Also, FYI, I've tried swapping dvi cables, video card, and monitor.

Thanks in advance!

600W Coolermaster Extreme Power
650i Ultra Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo Q6700 2.66GHZ (Stock)
8GB OCZ Reaper Ram, 800MHZ
8800GT Superclocked
320GB IDE Drive w/ Sata Adapter
120GB IDE Drive w/ Sata Adapter

How did your motherboard break before? Are you using the same PSU that powered that mobo before? Is this replacement mobo a new one?

On my old mobo, when I put all 4 ram chips in, the exact same thing happened. The screen showed nothing. It did boot just fine with 3 chips of ram.

It is the same PSU as before.

EVGA sent me a new mobo, and I've tried playing with the ram, but no luck.

Is the mobo speaker on my default? I'm thinking it is. If it was RAM, it be doing that deafening long beep - so I think you're ok there. In terms of power, your fans are spinning (both HSF and GPU), so there is definitely power going THRU the mobo. So power delivery seems to be ok. Did you check the pins in the socket?

By nothing boots, I'm presuming you mean it doesn't POST? I'd probably test another PCI-E GPU to rule out a bad PCI-E slot...though that's doubtful.

Is the mobo speaker on my default? I'm thinking it is. If it was RAM, it be doing that deafening long beep - so I think you're ok there. In terms of power, your fans are spinning (both HSF and GPU), so there is definitely power going THRU the mobo. So power delivery seems to be ok. Did you check the pins in the socket?

By nothing boots, I'm presuming you mean it doesn't POST? I'd probably test another PCI-E GPU to rule out a bad PCI-E slot...though that's doubtful.

What exactly do you mean by the "mobo speaker on my default?" The pins are fine, and I tried using an old standard pci video card, still did nothing. :(

edit: do you mean is the speaker setup? I'm not sure if the mobo speaker is hooked up, I'll check later...

Reassemble the PC outside of the case. Leave the motherboard on the motherboard's box. Jump the two power pins on the motherboard to start the PC. If you get video now, something inside the case was shorting out the motherboard. Look for a loose screw, wire, cable, standoff, washer, etc.

Oh and get a new PSU. That Coolermaster Extreme Power is actually a semi-decent Seventeem 450W PSU. No way in hell is it actually a 600W PSU.

Are you running all 4 sticks of RAM right now? Try putting in 1 RAM module and see if it boots from just that 1 RAM stick.

Reassemble the PC outside of the case. Leave the motherboard on the motherboard's box. Jump the two power pins on the motherboard to start the PC. If you get video now, something inside the case was shorting out the motherboard. Look for a loose screw, wire, cable, standoff, washer, etc.

Oh and get a new PSU. That Coolermaster Extreme Power is actually a semi-decent Seventeem 450W PSU. No way in hell is it actually a 600W PSU.

Really? Do you think it is possible I need more power? Maybe the PSU is fried? I'll look into that. Also I will look into loose screws, thanks, I overlooked that. As for taking everything out of the case, I may do that on Saturday when I have time, but good idea, nevertheless.

Are you running all 4 sticks of RAM right now? Try putting in 1 RAM module and see if it boots from just that 1 RAM stick.

Still does nothing

Thanks

A simple PS swap may just do the trick. You will be surprised of how many flakey/glitchy PC problems are contributed to a faulty power supply. This happened to me before. Never thought it would be the PS and was just swapping everything else except the PS. I assumed that the fans spin and LEDs come on, the PSU should work. But, nope it was the PS.

Really? Do you think it is possible I need more power? Maybe the PSU is fried? I'll look into that.

No you don't need more power. You just need a PSU that can actually can provide the power it's rated for. In other words, you need a better QUALTIY PSU. But I don't think the PSU is the problem. Take everything outside of the case and see if there's a short. If you still don't get video, then yeah, it could be the PSU.

The problem is, I don't have alot of PSUs sitting around. They are all mostly 150-200W. I do have 2 450Ws in 2 other computers though. Maybe I will try swapping those out later....

I swear I run into every computer problem possible...I should just buy a Dell XPS or something....

Very weird thing....I removed my keyboard and mouse, and now its working.....Well gets to bios anyways. I don't go past that point because my cpu fan isn't hooked up and I need to take the mobo out to put it back in.

Back