Blame iPhone 3G Network Woes on Consumers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here’s a new excuse for an old problem, blame the end user. Wait, that’s not new…it’s not even clever. The new scapegoat for shoddy iPhone service is YOU, not the network that rakes in billions through exclusive iPhone contracts. :rolleyes:

But here's the question: what are we to expect from AT&T when Apple sells millions of units of a revolutionary product that depends on its network and then provides millions of apps that put a huge burden on the same network? Do we really expect AT&T to be able to handle that much data?

Yes. We actually expect to get the service we pay for and the network to work as advertised. Stupid us.

New iPod touch and Nano to have cameras, is that news yet?

The thing that irritates me is that I have noticed significantly more dropped calls and poor service on my regular old LG phone with AT&T. Now it all makes sense. Stinking iPhone users are killing the service for the regular customers. Stinking Apple & their exclusive contract.

Doesn't AT&T require you to get their internet connection when you get an iPhone? Now they're blaming their customers for abusing it?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Sounds like an opportunity for AT&T to do their patriotic duty, and hire some workers to expand their network. America could use some more jobs.

Yet, everyone knows their being cheap bastards, and just wanna stretch their existing network to make bigger profits.

Unlock/Jailbreak a 3G, get rid of the $30 a month plan and ask for a $10 a month MediaNet plan like you use on your razr. $10 a month for the data line on my Iphone without any problems...if you don't like ATT either go elsewhere or screw em as best you can.

All I know is that I can YouTube all day long (provided I get the thing charged!) with my WinMo HTC Touch Pro device using Skyfire on Verizon's 3G network with no problems. So much for a revolutionary" product.:p

Unlock/Jailbreak a 3G, get rid of the $30 a month plan and ask for a $10 a month MediaNet plan like you use on your razr. $10 a month for the data line on my Iphone without any problems...if you don't like ATT either go elsewhere or screw em as best you can.

All this to use a simple and easy to use "revolutionary" product?:confused:

Got a simple solution. ATT can limit the number of iPhones that can be sold. Make it an exclusive product only the rich can afford.

Got a simple solution. ATT can limit the number of iPhones that can be sold. Make it an exclusive product only the rich can afford.

But that would kill the app store. Even the rich only need so many talking head robots!:p

The estimate in the article says IPhone users download about 500 MB a month. Comcast gives me 250GB a month for not much more then ATT charges. I am always able to max my 16MB connection out using Usenet as well.

AT&Ts service is abysmal. I went from a shitty phone on a decent network (Sprint) to a good phone on a shitty network. I'm lucky if I can access anything on the web in many areas around DC and I usually have to dial 2 or 3 times before any long distant calls connect.

I was out of the area all last week and it worked great, overselling major metro areas is definitely the big issue. AT&T says they weren't expecting it to be that much different from typical smart phone usage.. what a joke. Smart phones before were almost entirely focused on business email (sure you could do other things with them, but pre-iPhone I'd wager 90%+ smart phones were sold to businesses). Web browsers on Windows Mobile and black berries were both painful to use.

AT&T's highly paid analysts couldn't figure out that if you market a device to provide a good web experience, people would... I don't know, use the web instead of just primarily email traffic?

I'd love to see the income on the Iphone bandwidth charges vs. the amount of money ATT puts into the network. I'll bet it's single digit percents.
Just like the cable companies crying the internet is going to collapse when they spend a few 100 million on bandwith for dozens of billions in profits.

All this to use a simple and easy to use "revolutionary" product?:confused:

You <i>are</i> on a tech forum. I go through great lengths to understand, manipulate, and dominate all forms of technology and hardware/software that I get. I never said it was easy but for the poor there are ways to get what the rich have and use and take for granted - it usually involves hacking it to death.

lol blame customers really means AT&T sucks because they did not anticipate the demand for such a crappy product......

Doesn't AT&T require you to get their internet connection when you get an iPhone? Now they're blaming their customers for abusing it?
A cool $30/month, and, yes, it's mandatory. Not an insignificant sum of money to be paying to download an average 500MB on a slow, overloaded network.

Am I crazy or shouldn't we be pummeling the author here who by the looks of it is a)an Apple fanboy b)not getting enough reception in Seattle c)has a trendy look to go with trendy (and obvious) observations d)all of the above and is just another blogger who claims he invented original thought on subjects that have already been discussed to death on forums around the internet for the last month or two?

A cool $30/month, and, yes, it's mandatory. Not an insignificant sum of money to be paying to download an average 500MB on a slow, overloaded network.

500mb? How's that even possible? My monthly usage is something along the lines of 80mb.

There is no way I'm getting an iPhone and having to use AT&T!

At 51st ave and baseline in Phoenix, zero coverage just for the normal phone!

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Sounds like an opportunity for AT&T to do their patriotic duty, and hire some workers to expand their network. America could use some more jobs.

Yet, everyone knows their being cheap bastards, and just wanna stretch their existing network to make bigger profits.

Not for me at least, because I bought my iPhone out of contract and have it jailbroken not unlocked and they havent forced a data plan on me yet. If they do I'm going to be really pissed

What about the rest of att smart phone users paying for the same speeds and not getting them because the iphone uses so much network bandwidth?

I wonder what would happen if Verizon had the iPhone. How many would switch???

Thanx, but I will stick with my Omnia (Omnia 2 soon). Not impressed with anything the iphone has besides the screen (and looking like the OLED on the O2 will be loads better)

What about the rest of att smart phone users paying for the same speeds and not getting them because the iphone uses so much network bandwidth?

That wouldn't be a issue if AT&T used some of the billions of dollars it gets from Iphone sales to upgrade their 3G network coverage.

Yet another reason AT&T needs to be kicked to the curb.

I r use iphone jailbreaked with tmobile and use wifi for my internet. Just about anywhere I go has free wifi.

That wouldn't be a issue if AT&T used some of the billions of dollars it gets from Iphone sales to upgrade their 3G network coverage.

Check your math, ATT loses $400 on each iPhone sold as they subsidize its cost just like Sony and the PS3. They try to make it back on the back end through data plans, they need more then a year before they make any money of a iPhone user. Frankly I think phone companies need to quit the BS phone subsidies and lower our monthly rates. ATT is not making a killing, it is Apple that is cleaning up.

I guess I am an "abuser" then because I have downloaded upwards of 4GB. If they are going to charge me that much a month then by god I am going to get my money worth since I pay that much for my DSL line at home.

I guess I am an "abuser" then because I have downloaded upwards of 4GB. If they are going to charge me that much a month then by god I am going to get my money worth since I pay that much for my DSL line at home.

You're not an abuser. And neither am I. I have used a grand total of 0% of my unlimited data plan. I also know I was in the GB of downloads the first month I had it. But finite/unlimited = 0. :D

its a RIAA maneuver. blame your customers when things dont go the way you wanted/needed or expected. now they just need a way to penalize the customer to drum up some cash to expand the network coverage, without increasing the capacity, rinse, repeat.

the author...he's a tool. wonder how many liza minelli posters he has.

Back