• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Blacklight: Retribution

Yeah, I'm pretty confused about how the XP/unlock system in this game works... so you have to keep unlocking the same gun over and over again? That sounds lame! What is the difference in XP cost between doing the daily unlock vs permanent unlock?

Guess I will find out soon enough - I'm definitely installing this game tonight and giving it a try.
 
You earn "GP" in the game.

This form of currency is whats used in the game.

The items in the game can either be bought full out (you own them forever) or you can "rent" items for around 200GP for a 24-hour period. To buy a gun full out its about 5500GP.

So, I usually just play a round or two and rent a gun for the day. No biggie.

Cash prices are reasonable too...build your perfect gun then drop $10 real money to own it permanently.

Personally I have no issues with this system as the game is FREE remember? So instead of dropping $60 on the next cookie cutter CoD game drop $30 towards Blacklight instead and game on!
 
Cool - yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it out. Sound pretty reasonable.

I'm still interested in hearing comparisons between this game and the new Tribes from anyone who's tried both, since I just started that one last weekend and they seem extremely similar at first glance.
 
Cool - yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it out. Sound pretty reasonable.

I'm still interested in hearing comparisons between this game and the new Tribes from anyone who's tried both, since I just started that one last weekend and they seem extremely similar at first glance.

The gameplay is completely different between Tribes and Blacklight and they actually complement each other very well. Since they are both free there is no reason you can't play both.

Tribes is more team based capture the flag gameplay where you move really fast but usually have high survivability. It's also class based so you choose a class and are expected to perform a certain role, sort of like Team Fortress 2. Large maps set in a sci fi setting with a focus on team play and predicting where you opponent will go.

Blacklight follows more closely to COD and Counterstrike where the gameplay is entirely twitch based. You die really fast, the plus side is you can kill your enemies with only a few bullets. Think quick kills, quick deaths, and quick respawns. Small/Medium sized maps set in a sci-fi setting but grounded in a modern military shooter feeling.
 
Last edited:
I have to disagree with the CoD comparison.

The only thing really CoD'ish to me is the "feel" of the game. It's a little floaty compared to BF3 or the Gears games. It's been a month or two since I last played, but it felt more arcadey than BF3.
 
So its about $10 for 1 gun to own? So it comes down to 6 guns for about $60 seems a bit pricey to me, id rather have full game for $60 not a fraction of it. Since they also have other items like your soldier to customize, gonna get expensive fast...
 
Can anyone comment on the Starter Pack listed on steam?

The Starter Pack includes:

1 Premade SMG
1 Premade Burst Pistol
2 Gun Modifications
1 Helmet Armor
1 Chest Armor
2 Equipment Gear
3000 Game Points (GP)
7 Day XP Boost

For $9.99
 
So its about $10 for 1 gun to own? So it comes down to 6 guns for about $60 seems a bit pricey to me, id rather have full game for $60 not a fraction of it. Since they also have other items like your soldier to customize, gonna get expensive fast...

Yeah, if it's really ~$10 a gun this does not sound like a good deal at all.

Then again, to get all unlocks in Tribes it would be something like $100 in in-game gold...But you also get XP fairly quickly so you don't really need to pay to unlock everything.
 
probably has been said but It looks like servers are swamped to the gills. I get kicked off pretty regularly but am able to finish most of the matches that I find through quick find. Its fun and interesting and I think its a keeper.

rj

my ingame name is bpronjon if there is a system for friends Id like to add or be added.
 
Well, I installed the game but still haven't been able to play 'cause my new account registration never went through. I still haven't received my confirmation email to activate my account, so I can't log in or play... not off to a good start with this game. Looks like I need to contact their tech support to get it going.
 
Well, I installed the game but still haven't been able to play 'cause my new account registration never went through. I still haven't received my confirmation email to activate my account, so I can't log in or play... not off to a good start with this game. Looks like I need to contact their tech support to get it going.

Had the same issue - I made up my account but never got any confirmation. I tried again (making up a different account name that I used the first go around) and I got activated and the email instantly. Guess the first one fell through the cracks.

Only played for 5 minutes -- looks fun though.

I have so many things to play, Max Payne, Arkham City, and Close Quarters - holy backlog batman!
 
Played some last night. Not bad. I agree with the above poster that it feels a bit floaty. I like the weapon modification stuff and all of the stats that get adjusted on the guns. It felt good though. definitely worth playing since its free. The starter gun still felt good. Very little kickback in the guns so I think that the spread will be deceiving.
 
Can anyone comment on the Starter Pack listed on steam?

The Starter Pack includes:

1 Premade SMG
1 Premade Burst Pistol
2 Gun Modifications
1 Helmet Armor
1 Chest Armor
2 Equipment Gear
3000 Game Points (GP)
7 Day XP Boost

For $9.99

I bought it. Seems ok.

The thing is a chor to get your stuff in game.

1st you have to enable your dlc or whatever.

Then you get a email in game with a attachment

You activate the attachment and it releases the stuff in it

Then you go to your inventory and activate each item

Kinda sucks but I am too busy to play a lot right now so I didn't activate the week xp bonus so I can wait until I'm not super busy to use it. That was kinda nice.
 
I bought Blacklight: Tango Down when it first released. It became one of the few games I've requested a return of from Valve.

Is there anyone that played both Tango Down and Retribution that can provide some comparison?
 
anyone notice the "steam exclusive" portal weapon tag on the store page? says you get one free if you can reach level 5 by 7/16, how long should this take? haven't played this yet but I got it all loaded up and ready to go, looks pretty sweet.
 
As for the starter pack, I'm all about supporting Zombie on this game, but save your money and grind away with the default setup for a bit. You don't necessarily have to buy anything at all if you're not playing every single day. I've only perm'd a few things and after accidentally buying a suppressor that I didn't really want I'm not in a huge hurry to buy anything else! Rentals are just as effective as owned equipment.

That said, if you like the game throw a little cash their way so they can keep improving it!
 
I bought Blacklight: Tango Down when it first released. It became one of the few games I've requested a return of from Valve.

Is there anyone that played both Tango Down and Retribution that can provide some comparison?

From what I've read from others that have played both is that this new one is 900% better and FREE :D

Give it a shot.
 
anyone notice the "steam exclusive" portal weapon tag on the store page? says you get one free if you can reach level 5 by 7/16, how long should this take? haven't played this yet but I got it all loaded up and ready to go, looks pretty sweet.

Not too long. I'm level 4 after about 2.5 hours, and I definitely had some idle time in there between matches while doing stuff around the house.

I'm enjoying it enough - but I think they need to open up a couple of the maps a little more. A couple feel a bit...segmented, I guess, considering there's actual walls/buildings instead of open space, and then multiple levels on top of that. There's way more space on a couple of these maps than there are people to fill it.

But hey, for a F2P, I'd recommend checking it out.
 
It's alright. Lots of hackers though, and it would be better without the in-game wallhack mechanic.

The menu interface design is horrific, though. Like, really clunky, directionless and poorly designed. Nothing relates to anything else, it's just a trendwhore teenage aspiring graphic designer's wet dream, with horrible cross-hatching and scaleform nonsense spunked all over the place.
 
Not too long. I'm level 4 after about 2.5 hours, and I definitely had some idle time in there between matches while doing stuff around the house.

I'm enjoying it enough - but I think they need to open up a couple of the maps a little more. A couple feel a bit...segmented, I guess, considering there's actual walls/buildings instead of open space, and then multiple levels on top of that. There's way more space on a couple of these maps than there are people to fill it.

But hey, for a F2P, I'd recommend checking it out.

doesn't sound so bad, but I can't even get into the game now since it looks like their user registration is broken. anyone been able to sign up over the weekend or is it just me?
 
New patch was just applied so service might be bit unstable. Next week there is supposed to be a new game mode and some new items coming.
 
To me I like the game before it went open beta. The hit boxes were so much better and require some skill to kill people.
 
Just got this earlier, and I've just played for a few hours and I like it already. lol
 
Downloaded it last night, only had time for one match. Was pretty fun though, looking forward to playing it some more when I get home from work. I went 11-5 K:\D, not too bad for first time ever. I want to get enough points to start unlocking sniper mods.
 
why isnt this game receiving more attention ? i think its a great alternative for cod and bf gamers .
 
The amount of separate accounts and passwords required to login to this game is pretty much enough to stop me playing...

That and the fact that the game does nothing particularly well (except free, I guess), and hard suits are no fun to play as, with, or against.
 
Been playing this game for awhile now it, and its just awesome ! better than COD ! and its free.
 
Back
Top