• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Blacklight: Retribution

Krenum

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
19,197
This game was fantastic. The controls were solid and the game mechanics and level design were great!. It was good to talk to the developer about the game and I was able to get into the Final Round of the Tournament at the FX Game Experience to take 2nd place winning a Gigabyte A75UD4 Mobo.

This game reminds me of old school arena based shooters. I thought of it as a mix between Shogo and Unreal Tournament. You can customize your weapons, armor , ammo types and even jump in a Mech to fight other players.

With a market so saturated with "Military Shooters" This game was a breath of fresh air. The best part about it , is that it is free to play.

Right now its in Closed beta, but the developer told me that open will begin soon.

Check it out.

http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/

Video : http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/news/?p=436221
 
Last edited:
Yeah guys I'm telling you this game is out freaken standing, It will take you back to the UT Quake 3 days. I was totally blown away. This is the first I had ever heard of it.

Its very exciting to finally find a game that is PC only and a throwback to the old style fps's. Much like the new Tribes.
 
I tried it, but after seeing how slowly you get credits and having to put a stupid amount forward to permanently purchase a weapon, LOL - you may as well give into their item mall at that point.
 
Blacklight: Tango Down was an interesting concept, but was a huge letdown. The gunplay felt off, and every single match devolved into a spawn trap.

Hopefully Retribution lives up to its name.
 
I enjoyed it when I played it a few weeks ago.
 
Just got an invite to the open beta for this... any good in its current state?
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFGLmeVMSB0

I'm a newbie, sue me.



What tended to throw me off is the acceleration. You can run sideways, but you have to run forward to start sprinting and only then can you straffe while maintaining the sprint. Also, moving forward from a dead stop isn't instantaneous, your character feels a bit heavy. It's responsive once you're moving but starting a move (even turning your gun) just slightly seems slow at first.

I'll also need to get used to the changing sensitivity when i zoom in. I had trouble staying on target when i tried leading the guy while zoomed in after i took out the mech pilot.
 
Just a note a clanmate came across.

If you launch the game, the progress bar finishes, but the "Play" button doesn't appear. It probably got drawn offscreen. Just press enter anyway.
 
Thanks for this thread...I recieved an e-mail today and was like,"tf is this?". Now that I've watched the diary vid, I'm dl'ing. Looks f'n awesome as shit.
 
It appears this out of closed beta, I just signed up for an account and its downloading the client.

Looks interesting. My question is, how do they get their money? ie. what kind of microtransactions, advertising, etc are they pushing?
 
Im trying to like this game. It sorta seems the lpb's (low ping bastards) win the matches. The graphics are sick and pretty incredible. Anyone else playing?
 
This is a really nicely done game to be free. They got the PTW thing going on, but it's still fun. Haven't played it much, but I plan on giving it a good try.
 
Just started playing today. I don't know if I like how weapon perks are day long purchases, but considering it is free who cares. I played a few rounds today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
 
Played it for a couple hours. The graphics look really good for an online shooter, sci fi setting, small to medium size maps with nice variety, twitch shooter where you'll die a lot, quick respawns, weapons sound good, dx11 + fov slider. Everything seems really polished, I'll be playing this and Tribes Ascend for my shooter fix.

Incidently, this seems to be one of the few online shooters optimized for being installed on ssd's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRwSC0dgI3g

Also has darklight mode where you get a few seconds of wallhack, it lets you scan your surroundings to see everyone and objective locations.
 
Gave it a shot, graphics are acceptable but really nothing special. Was a bit hard for me to judge the feel of movement and gun play as there are no local servers so had to live with running around with a 400+ ping.

So far the game seems excessively grindy in terms of unlocks, some of which can only be accessed by paying for them rather than using earned experience points. For instance, new character load out slots cost $10 each, as does the option to create a clan, whilst a 50% XP boost modifier costs $8.00.

I think Tribes Ascend has probably done a better job balancing the pay 2 win aspect for those who choose not to pay, and if you do pay you seem to get better value for money. Also, one can make a minimum payment to become a VIP member which automatically doubles all XP earned during matches, which actually does a pretty good job of accelerating unlocks.
 
Do you have it installed on an ssd? The developers remarked that the graphics actually look better on an ssd because they can stream in the textures. You also earn enough in game currency to rent your favorite gun for the day after a match or two. I played a couple hours and already have 1,700gp. It costs 200gp to rent a gun for a day, 5500 to buy it permanently.

Also, the VIP for Tribes is 50%. It would take a non paying player who plays a few days a week a month or two just to buy 1 decent gun in Tribes.
 
Do you have it installed on an ssd? The developers remarked that the graphics actually look better on an ssd because they can stream in the textures.

I am not sure how that could make any difference seeing as a conventional hard drive is already significantly faster than a standard broadband connection.

You also earn enough in game currency to rent your favorite gun for the day after a match or two. I played a couple hours and already have 1,700gp. It costs 200gp to rent a gun for a day, 5500 to buy it permanently.

Yeah I still don't consider it good value in terms of the amount of time you need to spend grinding away to access innumerable weapons/upgrades/attachments, quite apart from the real world money that you may need to spend on items such as weapon load outs or clan creation.

Also, the VIP for Tribes is 50%. It would take a non paying player who plays a few days a week a month or two just to buy 1 decent gun in Tribes.

Except that most of the starting weapons in Tribes are in fact the decent weapons (e.g. spinfuser), and upgrading them takes no time at all even when playing F2P.
 
I installed Blacklight today and have to say it's a pretty fun game. There are hundreds of unlocks but even with the ones you start out with it's quite fun.
 
Really did not like in the video when they showed them going to iron sights and the gun does not move AT ALL when firing. Makes it look incredibly fake.
 
visually it's pretty impressive, but the community is EXACTLY what would you expect of a futuristic COD free-to-play title...
 
Does anyone know of a fix for eyefinity? The game seems to support 5760x1200 resolution but it is implemented completely wrong.
 
Probably played around 8hrs total so far and I have 6500gp, more than enough to buy me 1 gun permanently. Not sure which I'll choose, I've just been using the default assault rifle but have been testing out the burstfire rifle lately.

You usually don't have to worry about going against high level players when your under level 10, the auto join feature seems to place you in the lv 1-10 range servers to make the matches more fair.

Still enjoying it so far.
 
I started a few days ago. Didn't know about the perma-buy option, thanks for the heads up!

my tag is Redivulpis
 
Last edited:
This game is GREAT. Does it have its flaws? Sure, but its free and runs and looks great!

Been playing since last night and gotta say that I'm thoroughly enjoying the hell out of it!

Too all noobs, the game is KINDA slow in the beginning, but once you get the burst shot rifle and a couple of upgrades the game is a blast. Already have 1200GP and nothing to spend it on!
 
Bump!

So I just noticed this game on Steam today. And here I am, just having gotten into the new Tribes!

So, anyone playing the official release of Blacklight yet? How does it compare to Tribes, and is it worth switching over? I ended up dropping $30 on the dlc-pack and gold-points in Tribes over the weekend, so I'm a little hesitant to switch. :p

It looks like the F2P/GP system is about the same in both games. So what differences make either one better?

Obviously I plan to try Blacklight out asap, but just curious what people think who have more time in both games.

Oh, and here's the Steam Link for reference
 
I played it pretty hard for a few days, it was a fun change of pace from BF3, but at the end of the day the variety and solid feel of BF3 trumped it and I uninstalled. Not a bad game, if you're not into BF3 and don't feel like paying for CoD it's a good timesink.
 
^^Nope, I'm not into BF3 or CoD. I'm more interested in comparisons with other Free-to-Play titles, not the $60 AAA ones.
 
Maybe F2P is the future for competitive online FPS. Maybe Crybabytek isn't so crazy after all?
 
I can't really comment vs other F2P games, but the gameplay is close and just as tight as CoD in feel, not as polished and the purchasing of points to keep weapons is kind of annoying, but if you play enough it's easy to keep purchasing your preferred loadout day after day.
 
I can't really comment vs other F2P games, but the gameplay is close and just as tight as CoD in feel, not as polished and the purchasing of points to keep weapons is kind of annoying, but if you play enough it's easy to keep purchasing your preferred loadout day after day.

I have to disagree with the CoD comparison.

There is NOTHING about Blacklight that other games do better at. Blacklight plays and looks like any "AAA" title, which, what constitutes a AAA game anyways? Overblown budgets? Used up rehashed game engines? The same game play and graphics game after game after game? I mean, honestly, I think Blacklight is more AAA than any current CoD game could imagine being!

Having played Blacklight for a couple weeks now I can say I EASILY enjoy this game in every aspect than any CoD title I've played recently. Graphics are better (performance is stable as a rock), audio is awesome, game play is stellar, haven't run into a cheater yet, hit boxes seem spot on...just an awesome game all around.

And I like the CoD games.
 
So do you HAVE to buy guns with real money in this game, or can you eventually unlock them?
 
Back
Top