BlackBerry’s Worldwide Smartphone Market Share Hits 0%

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
BlackBerry was the undisputed king of the smartphone world, but then a little something called the iPhone happened. Now, with practically everyone clamoring solely for Apple or Android devices, BB is just struggling to stay in business. Some are giving face to the ailing company by pointing out that devices with third-party operating systems (such as the Priv, which runs Android) aren’t accounted for, but I think it looks bad regardless of how you spin it.

The entire world knows that the once-king of the smartphone world, BlackBerry, is in bad shape these days, but if you were looking for some actual data to put the company’s dire situation into perspective, a new report from Gartner does the job. The firm’s 2016 retrospective and fourth quarter data dump reveals that, for the first time, BlackBerry holds a 0.0% share of the smartphone market. In worldwide market share based on operating system, Android is still leading the rest of the pack by a mile at 81.7% (80.7% in 2015), thanks largely to the huge number of extremely affordable devices available. iOS is holding steady at 17.9% (17.7% in 2015), while Windows Phone has taken a huge hit with just 0.3% (1.1% in 2015).

Last edited:
I use to love my Bold and want to support them. I don't want to support Blackberry at all anymore. As soon as I read that they were helping law enforcement decrypt phones they were dead to me. All they require is a court order from a judge regardless of if it is a corrupt country or not. It was their attitude about it I didn't like. Not saying Google is any better but all our options suck.

Last edited:
They bought Good for Enterprise a few years back and just rebranded the app in the past few months to BlackBerry. So after switching away from them years ago for enterprise messaging, we're back with them.

There's a lot of money to be made in enterprise software. 0% smartphone market share means nothing as far as the company surviving - how many IBM branded PCs can you buy today?

I still love my BlackBerry priv. No intentions of switching to another phone anytime soon.

I think blackberry should have partnered with another once great, HTC, for their future phones instead of TCL, which make the horrible Alcatel phones (in comparison horrible).

Not saying Alcatel can't make a good phone, but they are known for cheap crap not quality crap..

You know your company is in trouble when you are getting beaten, badly, by Windows phone sales. :p

I got a Brand New Blackberry, whichever model was there flagship 2 years ago, from a business friend for free to give my son to play on, and before i could give it to him, it got a micro crack, the size of a hair at the bottom let corner of the screen, below where the actual display area is, and the entire touch capacity completely turned off. It was in my front pocket for less than 2 hours, probably with my keys, and the tiniest hair crack literally bricked the phone. Could not swipe of enter anything to load into desktop (palmtop?) screen. Literally the worst piece of expletive garbage I have ever had the displeasure of owning. It was like 650-800$ at the time for this device. It even had a protective case on the back of it.

From my small usage of it, it was essentially an iphone ripoff, with a rubbery backing. The only think they touted was the security that would wipe it if you entered the wrong passwords, which essentially gave any thief a brand new unlocked phone if they just entered the wrong passwords enough.

They bought Good for Enterprise a few years back and just rebranded the app in the past few months to BlackBerry. So after switching away from them years ago for enterprise messaging, we're back with them.

There's a lot of money to be made in enterprise software. 0% smartphone market share means nothing as far as the company surviving - how many IBM branded PCs can you buy today?

the difference is that IBM actually still has something to sell. This isn't like comparing them to IBM. You should be comparing them to blockbuster or Sears.

the difference is that IBM actually still has something to sell. This isn't like comparing them to IBM. You should be comparing them to blockbuster or Sears.

I don't think the selling of phone hardware is needed for blackberry to stay afloat. There's more money selling enterprise solutions that have yearly license renewals to large companies and letting them pick whatever phone(s) they want.

When I look at the yearly line items of the IT budget at my place of employment, the big ticket ones aren't hardware, but software.

I'll keep my Z10 till someone tries to pry it from my cold dead hands, then I'll re-animate, kick their ass, beat 'em senseless with the Z10 itself (because it can take it), take a pic with the Z10 of their battered corpse, upload it, and get back to work. :D

Blackberry has 3 Handsets that are andriod.

The Priv
The Dtek 50
The Dtek 60

And soon to be released Dtek 70.

Those numbers are only for BB10 devices which has been dead for awhile.

Nothing new here!

Seeing that a couple of us have BlackBerries... how is that 0.0%? (maybe "< 0.01" instead? like in stats) :banghead:

And I'm waiting for new Mercury because I love PKB phones.

Dear Microsoft: You got it right with WP 8.1 and then you messed it up by selling your assets and now no one trusts you.... you were doing well with WM 6.5X and then you screwed everyone over with WP 7...

get out of mobile market as you do not understand how it works anymore lol

I don't think the selling of phone hardware is needed for blackberry to stay afloat. There's more money selling enterprise solutions that have yearly license renewals to large companies and letting them pick whatever phone(s) they want.

When I look at the yearly line items of the IT budget at my place of employment, the big ticket ones aren't hardware, but software.

If you actually have software to sell and that people want to buy that is true. The point I was trying to make was if you remove their phones and OS, what are you really left with them selling that is going to get them to the market level of somebody like IBM who is actually highly successful still? Their stock has been slowly dropping. Stock prices a few years back where in the teens, now it is around $7.50 a share.

Lets say that tomorrow they announced that they will no longer be selling any phone period and only selling software, what do they have left to sell people that is going to flip their stock around and bring them back up to $20+ / share? We are comparing them to IBM here who is while Black berry went from $17.50 down to $7.50 per share IBM went from $200 to $180. IBM is slowly starting to climb again. Black berry is slowly going down and isn't going to have that same level of success. At best they can stay where they are now at a few dollars a share, but there is no way they will turn themselves into the same level of company that IBM is. Which at that level of low valued stock, they wouldn't be able to stay around for very long and like the people I mentioned will end up going out of business due to a lack of actual stuff to supply people to bring them billions a year.

Back