Blackberry showings - far and few

Mthr1

Weaksauce
I've been patiently waiting for RIM to realize how much ground they are losing to the onslaught of Android releases, in hopes that they quickly accelerate their BB product line offerings.

All is quiet on the RIM farm.

Hopes that they will be releasing a VZW version of the Torch has been muted by the announcement that AT&T will get the Torch 2. Lot of updated hardware in the Torch 2.

VZW gets a refresh of the Storm and Curve. The current mainstream Bold is what the Tour should have been.

That's it. Nothing else, outside of rumors is down the pipe. All their eggs seem to be focused on the Playbook, who I would guess is likely to struggle.

Frustrating, as I have been a BB user for many years, use BES at work, and maintain a very extensive contact list on BBM.

Yes, the Bold is nice...although, I still prefer a "reliable" trackball over the optical pad. I feel the trackball is just more accurate. It's a shame they can't put one in that is resilient.

Regardless, the Bold is still underpowered by today's standards, particularly if you have multiple apps open. That is the reason why they decided to go with a 1.2ghz processor for the Torch 2 with more system memory.

OS6 looks great. Too bad my 256mb Tour can't handle it. :(

Maybe you've had bad trackpads. I love mine. After a few hours of using it and adjusting to it, your accuracy will go up. My brother handed me his Tour once and I couldn't stand using its tiny trackball. Think of trackballs as ball mice. ;)

Trackballs are prone to dust anyway, plus they allow dust to get in under the screen. Eventually they're going to start sticking and require some cleaning.

Having been on a trackball Curve 8310 for 3 years (phone from old job) I thought the touchpad on my new Bold 9700 (phone from new job) would be better... At times it seems to sensitive and at others it seems not sensitive enough.

Can I run the OS6 update on my T-Mobile 9700?

According to the RIM site it only has 256MB of memory.

The only differences between the 9700 and the 9780 are the camera (3.2MP vs 5MP) and the onboard memory (256MB vs 512MB).

If I can't put OS6 on it it's not a big deal- this is my work phone.

OS requires 512mb system memory in order for it to be installed. My limited usage of RIM's track pads were similar to the last post. Either it was too sensitive to be precise on heavy link websites or not senstive enough when adjusted. Perhaps with more time and patience, it will probably be fine.

after going through 4 different models with my Work BB. I'm pretty much done with them (for personal use at least)

Verizon phones:
I've had an 8800 world edition (trackball)
88xx series curve (trackball)
96xx series curve (track pad) might have been the bold or Tour I only had it for a few weeks maybe 2 months

and the ATT
Torch.... which I found I dislike alot, maybe its ATT's signal but my Torch signal on my desk ranges from nil to full bars just by moving it a few cm's. The OS is slow and unresponsive compared to what my Droid and G1 personal phones had.

ya I SAID IT... my G1 was faster (in my opinion)

For all of you that are wondering, I have a BB9700 on T-Mobile running OS 6.0.0.418 (I'll be updating to 458, or whatever's the newest one this weekend). It works perfectly fine, aside from 2 major issues (which 458 supposedly fixes). The 256MB of RAM is not a limitation at all. Right now I have no cursor in BBM, and the Facebook app scrolls super-fast, both problems are fixed in the newest release. Head over to the crackberry forums to see how to install OS6 on your 9700.

Honestly, I'm much happier now that I have OS6 running. I'm still looking to get a Nexus One though, haha

after going through 4 different models with my Work BB. I'm pretty much done with them (for personal use at least)

Yea, there is no way in hell I'd have a blackberry for my personal use- the only thing that have going for them is exchange email and who uses that for personal use?

Well, it depends on what your priorities are with your personal phone. For a messaging phone, the BB is unparalleled. Aside from it's excellent push email servers, it's corporate email exchange is excellent. From a security standpoint, it's PIN message system is unrivaled to competing systems.

If you're purely into a media device, then there is a lot to be desired from the BB platform. It has gotten better with each new OS, but it is FAR from the comprehensive offerings from Android and iPhone.

I use BB because it's very stable, it's very secure, messaging is most important functionality for me (both personal and work related), and most tasks can be accomplished very fast with my BB.

Battery life is a world of difference between the platforms. I use an extended Seidio battery on my Tour, and with daily aggressive use, my battery lasts nearly 3 days before a charge is needed.

Yea, there is no way in hell I'd have a blackberry for my personal use- the only thing that have going for them is exchange email and who uses that for personal use?

Personally, in a world where everyone is engrossed in the internet and playing their apps while waiting for something; essentially phones shoved in faces everywhere I go, I prefer the BB system. Great phone, great text and email, and that's all you really need. I've gotten used to be slightly more disconnected to the internet than the rest of the world, but MUCH more connected to people when needed.

That said, I still prefer the Android OS over BB any day. I miss my G1.

BB is way behind the curve now.....They need a serious upgrade in HW and media functionality....a simple thing like a FM transceiver, 800*480 or higher screen would go a long ways

BB is way behind the curve now.....They need a serious upgrade in HW and media functionality....a simple thing like a FM transceiver, 800*480 or higher screen would go a long ways
Better hardware = worse battery life.

Back