Black Sony Trinitrons, $119.99 at Surplus Computers

Hi, I have been lurking in this thread for a few days. I have been debating on whether to go with a CRT or an LCD. I bought a Hyundai L90D+ 19" LCD locally last week and ended up returning it yesterday because of the narrow viewing angles and the crappy DVD playback. I was also not happy with running my games in 1280x1024 resolution on my X800XT-PE. I've had a 19" trinitron for the last five years, so I guess I am spoiled. Unfortunately, it has the brightness problem and it's starting to bug me. I use a Dell P1130 at work and it is very nice, so I am thinking about getting one. I'm in Texas, so I would have to pay tax on anything I purchased at CD. I was doing some research on Pricewatch and saw two other places that sell used CRT monitors. Both have excellent resellerratings.

http://www.accurateit.com/

http://www.azatek.com/index.asp

I had a friend buy a monitor from Azatek and he said it was perfect. Has anyone done businees with either company? Thx.

Borocay

I'm still waiting on my replacement, which they shipped on the 11th. Its not really CosmicDallas's fault. Since I received two tracking numbers from them, I'm assuming that they sent me two on accident. But they've been at the fedex place for a couple of days now. From the tracking I see that they get scanned every day, but not placed on the truck for delivery. Seems like the Fedex Home in my state likes to keep stuff around until they feel like doing some exercise. But they better be in pristine shape, no gouges in the box and no broken plastic... I'm guessing that cosmic sets insurance on these for higher than they sell for so it doesn't really hurt them, but it sure annoys the hell out of me.

Got mine up and running from cosmic today. its a 2000 model. I have a small color shift that i just cant put my finger on. Its like my tool bars fade from grey to slight grey/brown. Its only slightly annoying and may be due to my non shielded speakers ( degausing didnt help), so im gona try to barrow the 15amp degausing coil from work. Its like the color temperature changes from the center to the corners.

Hi, I am debating whether I should get a P1130 or another Trinitron model. I would like to get one that is not too old. Does anyone know which model is the latest? Thx.

I will vouch for AccurateIT. They're very honest and helpful. Their prices aren't the cheapest but they are fair but if you like customer service, they are right on your path. They also guarantee their monitors if they advertise it as is. So, when you buy a Grade A monitor, expect to get a real good monitor as if it was new.

Nightanole, you need to move your speakers far from the speakers. I've had speakers near my monitor and caused a great discoloration (more like brown purple green yellow distortion). It's not good. Keep them on separate stands or at least couple of feet away.

*Ahem* Let me take credit for making this the longest one evar. :p I think I've posted in this thread the longest compared to any other threads.

-J.

Borocay said:
Hi, I am debating whether I should get a P1130 or another Trinitron model. I would like to get one that is not too old. Does anyone know which model is the latest? Thx.

You don't need to worry about what's oldest, just make sure it's Grade A. The trinitron technology are all the same age as they were developed. As long as that monitor had no use in its previous time, it should look like new. I have the P1110. It's great. the P1130 is nice too. You can try getting a NEC MultiSync-type monitor. I have one. Their image is the sharpest I've ever had my eyes on and their weight is not half bad either.

-J.

starbuck8968 said:
I'm still waiting on my replacement, which they shipped on the 11th. Its not really CosmicDallas's fault. Since I received two tracking numbers from them, I'm assuming that they sent me two on accident. But they've been at the fedex place for a couple of days now. From the tracking I see that they get scanned every day, but not placed on the truck for delivery. Seems like the Fedex Home in my state likes to keep stuff around until they feel like doing some exercise. But they better be in pristine shape, no gouges in the box and no broken plastic... I'm guessing that cosmic sets insurance on these for higher than they sell for so it doesn't really hurt them, but it sure annoys the hell out of me.

I just got my replacement today, and sure enough I got two :)
Hopefully the second was a courtesy shipment for having to deal with the damaged one.
But the two I got today are in pristine condition. Can't wait to set it up for dual 21" monitor goodness :)

Well, I recieved my second monitor today, the fedex driver picked up the damaged one and delivered the new one at the same time at no further cost to me. Cosmicdallas has treated me well. I took the box in and opened it up... to find a monitor that is damaged 10x worse than the first one was... The corner of the unit is just crushed. The box wasnt damaged, so someone would have had to drop that box pretty hard to make the weight of the monitor itself do that. I am having no luck with this. The lady who was driving the truck could not lift the box herself, she said she had to have someone else load it for her, and I am beginning to think it may be the local fedex hub that is to blame for all of this mess. I am really getting tired of this. My wife says I should just ask for a refund and order one from someplace else.

Elstaf said:
Well, I recieved my second monitor today, the fedex driver picked up the damaged one and delivered the new one at the same time at no further cost to me. Cosmicdallas has treated me well. I took the box in and opened it up... to find a monitor that is damaged 10x worse than the first one was... The corner of the unit is just crushed. The box wasnt damaged, so someone would have had to drop that box pretty hard to make the weight of the monitor itself do that. I am having no luck with this. The lady who was driving the truck could not lift the box herself, she said she had to have someone else load it for her, and I am beginning to think it may be the local fedex hub that is to blame for all of this mess. I am really getting tired of this. My wife says I should just ask for a refund and order one from someplace else.

If it's the local FedEX hub that's the problem, ordering from another place won't help, unless they ship UPS.

Jonsey said:
If it's the local FedEX hub that's the problem, ordering from another place won't help, unless they ship UPS.
Not to mention that UPS is typically far worse than FedEx at package handling. I've never had problems out of FedEx myself, but always with UPS. Accidents can happen with any carrier, but twice in a row? It must be your local FedEx depot.

I bought a Dell P1110 on Ubid (remember them all you bargain hunters :) about 4 years ago for $179 + $70 shipping. It developed the brightness issue mentioned earlier. Thanks to this thread, I replaced the resistor and the picture is back like new, it is incredible! Anyone out there, don't be hesitant to try it. It was easy, you have a like new monitor in about 15 minutes.

starbuck8968 said:
I just got my replacement today, and sure enough I got two :)
Hopefully the second was a courtesy shipment for having to deal with the damaged one.
But the two I got today are in pristine condition. Can't wait to set it up for dual 21" monitor goodness :)
I feel like punching you, out of sheer jealousy of course :p. Though i would feel obligated in notifying the merchant...i would never pay for return shipping out of my pocket.

Geez, I'd settle for one working monitor at this point. I called a number Cosmicdallas gave me the they said they'd ship me out another monitor but I haven't recieved any sort of notification yet. I asked if they could try a different carrier so we shall see...to be continured.

heres mine in use... I uploaded it the other day and realized i never posted. I'm extremely happy with it so far:) guese which ones my old 17" dell...:) It makes it look so small...hehe

DSCF0978.jpg

I was considerig the LD90+ LCD and now considering one of these from cosmicdallas. I see he has the P1110 fro $150 and free shipping, and the P1130 for $160 and $60 shipping. What's the main difference between these two?

Then again, after looking at Surplus Computers, there's some good deals on 21" Trinitons.

I believe the 1130 has higher refresh rates at the higher resolutions, but don't quote me on that.

SJetski71 said:
I feel like punching you, out of sheer jealousy of course :p. Though i would feel obligated in notifying the merchant...i would never pay for return shipping out of my pocket.

If it makes you feel any better, but I think the ones I got were spray painted black from the original beige. My first hint was that the IBM logo on top is black, not blue. Also the screen has tiny black dots that I can scrape off, but not clean off... This may be how they were able to replenish the black P260 stock. Be warned for those who purchased black ones after the original auction.

I received my P1130 from cosmicdallas last night, and it appeared to be in flawless condition, however this morning I noticed that the monitor was completely blurry. If I turn the monitor off and on the monitor becomes sharp, but within 15 minutes goes back to being blurry. Anyone have any ideas what's causing this? I'm going to send cosmicdallas an e-mail later tonight after I verify that it's not something I can correct.

starbuck8968 said:
If it makes you feel any better, but I think the ones I got were spray painted black from the original beige. My first hint was that the IBM logo on top is black, not blue. Also the screen has tiny black dots that I can scrape off, but not clean off... This may be how they were able to replenish the black P260 stock. Be warned for those who purchased black ones after the original auction.
nah, i was only kidding. I almost can't believe they did that but i wouldn't put it past anybody nowadays.

Outside of the overspray, did they at least do a good job of painting it?

This is for the people who got the dell p1101 model..

When I activate the color return function on the monitor, it starts to do its thing from darkest shades to a bright yellow screen and return to normal..

When it hits the last phase which is the bright yellow, I see diagonal lines 2-3 inches apart and they resemble lines caused by noise.

Anyone else see this happening on their unit?

thats normal i think. As was said earlier in this thread; thats how the monitor stabelizes its picture

Worminater said:
thats normal i think. As was said earlier in this thread; thats how the monitor stabelizes its picture

I am not reffering to 2 damper wires which are horizontal..

I see about 7-8 diagonal lines when the brightest picture is shown during the color return test.

jtsnewo4 said:
Man I want one, its too bad they are out of the black ones. Crap I just missed out. Those look awesome.

One spray bomb... $3 ;)

Elstaf said:
Geez, I'd settle for one working monitor at this point. I called a number Cosmicdallas gave me the they said they'd ship me out another monitor but I haven't recieved any sort of notification yet. I asked if they could try a different carrier so we shall see...to be continured.

Have you heard anything yet? Who did you talk to? I bought 3 of these monitors and each experience was worst than the one before.
The first one fedex home wouldn't deliver because it was overweight I had to pick it up but it was perfect. The second one they delivered but they poked a large hole in the side of the box and put a crack in the back of the case and it was a "painted black"one. The third one they wouldn't deliver due to being overweight again but this time they rerouted back to fedex ground and by the time i got the package, the delivery guy had to deliver it upside down because the bottom had fallen through and the monitor bezel was cracked all to hell.
I sent emails on each monitor but i've had no response. I've called and talked to 2 different people and they keep promising to ship me another monitor but like Elstaf I haven't heard anything.
The problem is these guys are "cheating" fedex with the weights on these 21" monitors. Home delivery has a max weight of 70lbs but these things weigh 82 to 85lbs. I notifed fedex when I filed the claim on the phone and the local terminal manager but no one cares!
I'm calling these jerks one more time on Monday then it's time to contact the CC company.

SJetski71 said:
nah, i was only kidding. I almost can't believe they did that but i wouldn't put it past anybody nowadays.

Outside of the overspray, did they at least do a good job of painting it?

Yeah its decent I suppose, I guess that's what that smell was. But if I run my fingers across it, some of the paint comes off. But I'm wondering if they got some paint inside the monitor and if that would have any ill effects.

I plan to call again today. I will give them the benefit of the doubt at this point... I will let you know what happens. I guess since I payed with Paypal I need to file an insurance claim with them and see what else I can do if I'm left holding the bag, or the badly busted monitor, at this point. Hopefully Cosmicdalls will come through for me. The lady I spoke to last monday was nice enough at the time.

Elstaf said:
I plan to call again today. I will give them the benefit of the doubt at this point... I will let you know what happens. I guess since I payed with Paypal I need to file an insurance claim with them and see what else I can do if I'm left holding the bag, or the badly busted monitor, at this point. Hopefully Cosmicdalls will come through for me. The lady I spoke to last monday was nice enough at the time.

I called yesterday and spoke to a Stella Gomez who said that she had an order tag for me but they didn't have any black 260's. She offered me a black 1130 which I took and she gave me a tracking number right then and it shipped yesterday. We discussed the home delivery problem and she said she wasn't aware of it but would make sure it ships ground.
She also said she doesn't see the e-mails sent to them so if there is any other issues to call her direct.
I hope it gets it here in one piece!

For the person with the blurry image problem after 15 min of running-- I haven't seen that happen yet. So it must be a rare case on your side. Call them and see what's up with that. Make sure you set up your monitor right and test it before you call it to get a possible replacement.

-J.

GeForceX said:
For the person with the blurry image problem after 15 min of running-- I haven't seen that happen yet. So it must be a rare case on your side. Call them and see what's up with that. Make sure you set up your monitor right and test it before you call it to get a possible replacement.

-J.

I've tried everything and it goes in and out of focus. It's like the monitor can't hold its convergence or something. I e-mailed cosmicdallas and they responded with:

"Will ship replacement today and have that one picked up."

I live in an apartment building so I hope I can just leave my package downstairs with the concierge the night before. What would happen if the fedex guy was unable to get the package he was supposed to pick up? Would he not deliver the other box?

I hope this new monitor is ok. This current one looks beautiful (no scratches or blemishes on the case) when it's in focus.

CardiacKid said:
I called yesterday and spoke to a Stella Gomez who said that she had an order tag for me but they didn't have any black 260's. She offered me a black 1130 which I took and she gave me a tracking number right then and it shipped yesterday. We discussed the home delivery problem and she said she wasn't aware of it but would make sure it ships ground.
She also said she doesn't see the e-mails sent to them so if there is any other issues to call her direct.
I hope it gets it here in one piece!

Same deal for me. They were out of the black P260s so I was offered a black 1130 instead. It arrived in working order. They took care of me and I am grateful. Third times the charm I suppose. Mmmmmm... does that mean my next marriage will work out?

Just got my P1110 from cosmicdallas... unfortunately, there are some annoying scratches on the screen and a 1/8" bow on the bottom border of the image that I found no way of correcting (there is a bit of misconvergence, but I think I can adjust it just enough to live with it -- haven't tried too hard since the monitor is going back).

The casing of the monitor is a bit dirty and stained but I really don't care about that, I just can't live with the scratches on the screen and the image distortion thought.

Sent them an email last night and I'll see where it goes from here...judging from previous posts here, I have nothing to worry about them making it right, which was the only reason I decided to buy a refurb in the first place.

Moriarty said:
I've tried everything and it goes in and out of focus. It's like the monitor can't hold its convergence or something. I e-mailed cosmicdallas and they responded with:

"Will ship replacement today and have that one picked up."

I live in an apartment building so I hope I can just leave my package downstairs with the concierge the night before. What would happen if the fedex guy was unable to get the package he was supposed to pick up? Would he not deliver the other box?

I hope this new monitor is ok. This current one looks beautiful (no scratches or blemishes on the case) when it's in focus.

Second monitor came on Saturday. Deep scratch in the screen about a third of the way from the bottom. Also, the casing is blue (I ordered black). Let's try again...

terminalmind said:
Thats a Grade B refurbished monitor.
I would avoid it like the plague.
Just got mine from them, its working perfectly, CS Source at 1600x1200 70Hz ;)

Elstaf said:
Same deal for me. They were out of the black P260s so I was offered a black 1130 instead. It arrived in working order. They took care of me and I am grateful. Third times the charm I suppose. Mmmmmm... does that mean my next marriage will work out?

Don't know about the marital bliss but... :D
I recieved my 1130 and it looks brand new! Even in the Dell box.
Still after all the bs i'll skip doing business with cosmicdallas.
Glad to hear you got a good one

Back