Black Mesa Beta

They did xen now so will be keen to do it again once its no longer beta. Also looks like a few changes to first bits.

Anyone here playing Black Mesa Beta? I got it from Steam, and they made some great improvements. I forgot how challenging this game was back in the day.

The jumping is accurate, but on Normal Difficulty the enemy gun accuracy is a lot higher than it used to be.

I got so frustrated replaying through some of the difficult parts were you get bum rushed by troops that I've given up. It might take me another year off to get my interest again.

And on Easy, the enemies are even easier than the original game,.
A "beautiful" remake where they haven't really paid attention to the basics.

I BEAT THE ORIGINAL on normal, AND THE ENDING WAS FUCKING HARD, so I wouldn't give up easily.

Last edited:
This is great! Been following this remake for at least 10 years. Started playing it this afternoon actually and finished the first 3 levels (killing the big alien in the silo). Great remake! After this I'll play HL2 and EP1 and 2... Maybe that'll make me get an Index to play Alyx after :D

Yeah, I already replayed HL2 and EP1 and EP2. So much better on modern hardware. Settings were maxed out. Such an incredible game when they came out.
Yes I've noticed that the enemies are harder on normal setting. I sure hate to see what they would be like with a higher setting. I have figured out that they are easy to take out using the .357 magnum.
57272d89b70ad.jpg

I've been trying to replay the whole Black Mesa, sans Xen, for years now but I can't do it. It's boring. I used to swear HL1 was a much better game than HL2 but it's really not. Level design is awful. Even Quake 2 has better levels.

I've spent some time fighting noobs online, though. Crossbow is totally broken. Besides that, it's quite an improvement over vanilla (non-AG) HL DM

Back