Black Edition 5000+ Fun

Very nice :)

What mobo were you guys using just out of curiosity?

Just forgot how crazy AMD multipliers are sometimes now that I am used to Intel's 8-9 multipliers :D

I wonder just how much of that 'Black' magic is going to make it into the Phenom processors when they hit in a few weeks.

I've been toying with the Idea of one of these for a nice speed boost while I'm waiting to see what Phenom amounts to. Now if only I had some cash.

NICE clocks... if you were to go for some more extreme cooling, and CRANK up the voltage, I think you could beat the WR for an X2 :p

Very nice :)

What mobo were you guys using just out of curiosity?

Just forgot how crazy AMD multipliers are sometimes now that I am used to Intel's 8-9 multipliers :D

If I told you I would have to kill you. That said, I think the CPU would do it on just about any decent mobo.

NICE clocks... if you were to go for some more extreme cooling, and CRANK up the voltage, I think you could beat the WR for an X2 :p

Phase change is such a pain in the ass to drag out though. And really I wanted to show "normal" OC on it. I was just using my old standby Koolance system.

Yup.. Black Edition is a VERY fun cpu to play with. The value on this chip is awesome.

Here is my best on air. It cold bug pretty badly. So I couldn't get it to run on Phase. I will try a chiller to see max speed.

System Setup:
AMD x2 5000+ Black Edition
Biostar 570 SLI
Zalman CNPS9500 AM2

First off.. Suicide Screen shot on Air @ 1.65v = 3.707 Ghz

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=253783

253783.png

Some additional info on my runs:

To give everything an apple to apple comparision, the following screenies were all done w/ the default 13x multipler. All i did was bump voltage .1 at a time.

Here is my setup:
AMD x2 5000+ Black Edition
Biostar 570 SLI
2GB Crucial Ballistix 8500
Zalman HSF (AM2 Version)
NoName PSU

Here is a quick summary:

1.3v - 3.2 Ghz - 28.312s 1mb SPi (Cas3)
1.4v - 3.4 Ghz - 26.859s 1mb Spi (Cas4)
1.5v - 3.5 Ghz - 26.016s 1mb Spi (Cas4)
1.6v - did not finish sPi @ 3.6Ghz

Dirty OS, unoptimized or tweaked run. All Default.

Here are the screenies, for the visual people :)

1.3v - 3.2 Ghz - 28.312s 1mb SPi (Cas3)
AMD_3200_stock_vCore_13x_cas3_Spi1mb.jpg

1.4v - 3.4 Ghz - 26.859s 1mb Spi (Cas4)
AMD_3400_14vCore_13x_cas4_Spi1mb.jpg

1.5v - 3.5 Ghz - 26.016s 1mb Spi (Cas4)
AMD_3500_15vCore_13x_cas4_Spi1mb.jpg

I really think this chip is a winner.. and the price is good :)

Ton

Has anybody ever even had an Athlon 64 up to 4GHz stable on anything less than liquid nitrogen?

How well does it compete against Intel's offerings at those kind of speeds?

Intel are normally. 400mhz faster. So an AMD at 4ghz would compare to a Core 2 Duo at 3.6ghz.

Well at 3.6 quad6600 I'm getting superPi to finish 32M in 14 mins...

Though cost for performance, I think the black editions are a good deal, they're half the price of a q6600, with performance within 70% more or less in superpi, though I think the gap will be narrowed in other benchmarks.

If I can get my Allendale E6400 to 3.2 somehow, I won't feel bad about this. :) Stuck at 2.8. ;)

Well at 3.6 quad6600 I'm getting superPi to finish 32M in 14 mins...

Though cost for performance, I think the black editions are a good deal, they're half the price of a q6600, with performance within 70% more or less in superpi, though I think the gap will be narrowed in other benchmarks.
super pi is a single threaded app I believe, won't take advantage of multiple cores, a C2D @ 3.6will get same results as C2Q @ 3.6

There is WPrime, which is multi-threaded. How popular it is I don't know, but I have seen it pop up quite a few times recently.

Nice "normal" o/c on the Black proc. And even sweeter runs there SuAsDu. However, I don't really care much for the top clocks w/ Prime/Pi/3DCrap/etc. I'm more interested in everday gaming, encoding, and other general usage o/c's (and on realistic cooling mediums too, LN2 and the like don't really count IMO). I know there's tons of people out there that benching is their life, but who really buys parts just to bench with?

And on the q6600 vs Black comment....Well, 1/2 the cores, 1/2 the price, and quads are getting some sweet o/c's even on "normal" cooling... On top of the established IPC lead Intel has of course.

/waiting somewhat eagerly to see what quad/Phenom can do when out in the wild (in number)... "Somewhat" since I've made my choice for my quad brand this round w/ building my 1st Intel rig ever.

I want AMD to come out with some good stuff, a cpu price war AND performance competition is what we need in the market. Intel's been getting a bit on the high side of pricing again to go along with their "performance" advantage. I'd rather not intel suck, but AMD to come out with more stuff like this.

I know what my next "econo box" will be based off of now.

There is WPrime, which is multi-threaded. How popular it is I don't know, but I have seen it pop up quite a few times recently.

Nice "normal" o/c on the Black proc. And even sweeter runs there SuAsDu. However, I don't really care much for the top clocks w/ Prime/Pi/3DCrap/etc. I'm more interested in everday gaming, encoding, and other general usage o/c's (and on realistic cooling mediums too, LN2 and the like don't really count IMO). I know there's tons of people out there that benching is their life, but who really buys parts just to bench with?

And on the q6600 vs Black comment....Well, 1/2 the cores, 1/2 the price, and quads are getting some sweet o/c's even on "normal" cooling... On top of the established IPC lead Intel has of course.

/waiting somewhat eagerly to see what quad/Phenom can do when out in the wild (in number)... "Somewhat" since I've made my choice for my quad brand this round w/ building my 1st Intel rig ever.

How can you say build your 1st intel rig ever if ou have an e2140 now? I dont get the link..

My results are on the old NVIDIA 590 / 570 chipset. I can't wait to try it on the AMD 790 chipset..but the ones that are out now are so dang pricey.

Ton

LMAO...
Maybe a mobo with a chipset that's still under NDA...
Is Kyle beginning to open up to AMD/ATI chipsets?:D

been hearing a lot of impressive numbers from very few recently released AMD 790 chipset boards.

500FSB:
http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=68405

Additionally, Overclock Workbench has proven itself to be a credible source of intellectually honest information. Every day it's looking slightly better for AMD. It will take things like this to make those anti-AMD guys/gals take more notice. And then, all will be forgiven.

I've seen enough now as to where my next major upgrade will be a Phenom and RD790... from a A64 3000+ and an Nforce4. AMD has exactly what I want in not only a chip, but an entire platform. In fact, I give them credit for giving just as much thought to the platform.

OK guys. I got a black edition 5000+ and a Biostar TF570 sli mb. My bios does not let me raise the cpu multiplier beyond the default of 13 nor does it let me raise the cpu voltage beyond the default 1.35. I can overclock by raising cpu frequency but am still limited by the lack of a voltage bump. I saw those screen shots with 1.4 - 1.6 voltages and I saw the same motherboard I've got. How? BTW, crystal cpuid can change the multiplier but not the voltage and I do have the latest bios from biostar that supports g2 stepping. I can't find a version of clockgen right now that is for the 570. Thoughts?

FINALLY BACK TO THE ROOTS <3 i cant wait till kyle gets a hold of some ln2 and a phenom

Currently pumping out 3.1GHz on stock voltage, running a basic watercooling setup.

Very happy. I know I could get more.... but 500MHz on stock voltage is fine by me. Performs awesomely, great upgrade from my earlier 3800+.

What would be a "comfortable" temp. to run this chip @ 3.0 G ?
I am running one 27C idle, 39C max..

thanks
JT

OK guys. I got a black edition 5000+ and a Biostar TF570 sli mb. My bios does not let me raise the cpu multiplier beyond the default of 13 nor does it let me raise the cpu voltage beyond the default 1.35. I can overclock by raising cpu frequency but am still limited by the lack of a voltage bump. I saw those screen shots with 1.4 - 1.6 voltages and I saw the same motherboard I've got. How? BTW, crystal cpuid can change the multiplier but not the voltage and I do have the latest bios from biostar that supports g2 stepping. I can't find a version of clockgen right now that is for the 570. Thoughts?

Bios? Check for custom versions like the Rebel's haven ones :D

I was looking at upgrading into an Intel platform and then I saw this chip. I then realized that my current Zalman 9500 is only for 939/AM2 CPUs. That kind of sealed the deal for me and I am looking at the following for an upgrade. Can anybody make any other recommendations on what I am considering?

Also has anybody played with the 6400+ Black Edition?

ASUS M2N-E AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: M2N-E
Item #: N82E16813131022

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail
Model #: ADO5000DSWOF
Item #: N82E16819103194

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

I was looking at upgrading into an Intel platform and then I saw this chip. I then realized that my current Zalman 9500 is only for 939/AM2 CPUs. That kind of sealed the deal for me and I am looking at the following for an upgrade. Can anybody make any other recommendations on what I am considering?

Also has anybody played with the 6400+ Black Edition?

ASUS M2N-E AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: M2N-E
Item #: N82E16813131022

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail
Model #: ADO5000DSWOF
Item #: N82E16819103194

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

I just bought my 6400+, It will show up tomorrow and after I throw my rig back together I'll do some testing ^_^.

w00t ...very excited to see your results :) I think I might order the 6400 black today as well and have a little fun later this week!

Hey.. IllusioinMan..

Its a bios issue w/ the TF 570. I have the same board. They should have a fix out soon. On the TF570, it doesn't show multi that unlock upward in bios. You can adjust multi in Windows using CrystalCPUID.

Its funny.. my other boarfds like the TF560 and EVGA 590 have no problem showing these unlocked multi w/ old bios revisions.

Ton

Thanks for tips, but how to you change the voltage with the Biostar TF570? Like the multiplier, it doesn't show above the default and Crystal Cpuid will not change it.:mad:

I would say refer to the manual that came with the board dude. I am not familiar with biostar products.

Thanks for tips, but how to you change the voltage with the Biostar TF570? Like the multiplier, it doesn't show above the default and Crystal Cpuid will not change it.:mad:

Hmm.. I changed voltage just fine in BIOS. Look at page 1.. all those results are with my TF 570. The only bug was with the board is the multi. Check your bios again.

Ton

no option in the bios? :confused:

i just ordered a 5000+ from newegg. should be fun :cool:

Back