Black 5.2 build

synergy works very well and its a great piece of software.
very nice when you have several platforms on the same workstation

Where do you get great monitor arms like that?...I've looked online but I don't know what is a "cheap piece of shit" from a company just trying to cash in and whats "the real deal". I'm looking for some good monitor mount arms that are adjustable like yours is in your picture.

I didn't think there was a release date for the Eyefinity 6 cards yet. Since your build depends on it you might have a waiting period. I haven't been watching that closely though. Off to google I go.

Where do you get great monitor arms like that?...I've looked online but I don't know what is a "cheap piece of shit" from a company just trying to cash in and whats "the real deal". I'm looking for some good monitor mount arms that are adjustable like yours is in your picture.
It's an Ergotron LX arm. It's pretty pricey, but you see what you get for the money.
I didn't think there was a release date for the Eyefinity 6 cards yet. Since your build depends on it you might have a waiting period. I haven't been watching that closely though. Off to google I go.
Last word was "the week of the 29th" of March. But now they are saying the E6 is going to cost more than a 5970. Since I will probably never use 3x2 for gaming, I might decide to get 2 5870s instead.

And finally a little update on progress... the screens are all mounted. I'll take some gratuitous pics in the daylight tomorrow.

Left my camera at a friend's house, but in the interim, added a camera phone preview pic...

Since I will probably never use 3x2 for gaming, I might decide to get 2 5870s instead.

If you're not going to use it for gaming then why get a gaming video card? Two of the cheaper cards would work just fine for this if you're not gaming.

If you're not going to use it for gaming then why get a gaming video card? Two of the cheaper cards would work just fine for this if you're not gaming.
I game probably less than 20% of the time, but when I do, I expect miracles.

Dont know if you mention this before, but how hard was it to remove the plastic bezel from the dell monitors? I'm thinking of doing that for my 3 monitors. Do you foresee any issues putting the bezels back on if you need to make a claim on warranty?

thnks,
m

Dont know if you mention this before, but how hard was it to remove the plastic bezel from the dell monitors? I'm thinking of doing that for my 3 monitors. Do you foresee any issues putting the bezels back on if you need to make a claim on warranty?
Debezeling is fairly easy. On this model (and most Dells I've seen), the only screws are the ones for the mount. Then you just basically pry the plastic open using little eyeglass screwdrivers, or equivalent. Start in the middle of the long edge and it should be fairly easy. Putting it back together is even easier because it just snaps right back.

Unless there is a "seal" that gets broken, the only evidence of debezeling is if you scratch the plastic with your screwdrivers. If you are extremely careful with that step, I'd be confident that the factory shouldn't deny your warranty claim. Clearly, debezeling is [H]ard. So consider yourself warned: do not attempt this at home. On a difficulty scale, I put this at a 0. It's probably easier than disconnecting cables...

Finally starting to look like a desk! I'm almost there. I still need to do the power and install lighting. I also need to run the video cables through the wall. At that point, I'll finally be ready to build the actual computers themselves. Updated preview pic...

That looks crazier than the mock drawing! :eek:

Itching to see how it looks completed. I am sure you are excited as hell to see it coming together piece by piece. Its awesome!

won't your computers overheat in a closet?
The ambient air will be conditioned to 78F on the hottest day of the year. The exhaust will be vented into the attic. I don't expect an overheating problem.

BTW, a little update... still waiting on the last cables to finish the desk itself. I'm expecting those tomorrow. At which point, I will move the contraption back out from the wall and finish the electrical and cabling. Then I will start on the "closet" and building the systems themselves. I'm still missing a few components for the main rig, but everything has been ordered, just awaiting delivery.

I'm just giddy with excitement!!! I can't wait either.!! XD

Some real progress... Added a ton of pictures. I'm almost there. I'm about to the point where all I have left is software.

looks like its coming together nicely. i hope you have a nice chair to sit on all day long, lol.

Looking good. How's the Seasonic PS? is is quiet? Should be a great PS. Keep the pics coming please :)

Looking good. How's the Seasonic PS? is is quiet? Should be a great PS. Keep the pics coming please :)
The PSU is especially quiet because it's in another room. It's actually kinda weird to have perfectly quiet room...

For the some 45 minutes I've had the main system running, the PSU fan hasn't even kicked on. So it's definitely quieter than the CPU or GPU fans.

That's good to know. As you can see from my Sig, I'm in desperate need of an upgrade. I'm looking for components now and this looks like a great addition. Thanks for the info! Enjoy your build :)

I would also like to know where you get the legs for the desk part of it? I'm planning on building my own desk soon out of MDF as well. It will be 7' x 3-1/2'. Excellent work my good man!

Last edited:
Where did you get the table legs and what are they called? Thx

Not to bump, but I'm interested in this as well. I found them online for $32/ea. But I believe he said he got them locally originally (it was edited out).

Lord.....freaking......almighty; this build is amazing, superb, skillful, well-planned, and very well done with such a budget. I am impressed! Eyefinity is quite the beast when running at such a high resolution.

Wow, this build is really amazing.

I have a quick question about the 5870 Eyefinity and the adapters. Were you able to plug in all of your monitors without having to buy any Active $100 DisplayPort adapters? Do you have any monitors that are DisplayPort to begin with?

According to the package contents, the 5870 comes with:

2x MiniDP (Male) to DP (Female) adapter
1x MiniDP to HDMI Dongle
2x MiniDP to Single-link DVI Dongle

It's nice that ATI included that, but it still looks to me like you'd have to buy quite a few Active DisplayPort adapters to get all of those monitors plugged in.

... It's nice that ATI included that, but it still looks to me like you'd have to buy quite a few Active DisplayPort adapters to get all of those monitors plugged in.

IIRC, the requirement is at least ONE DP monitor. You'd only need one Active_DisplayPort_Adapter if you have NO DisplayPort monitors. So, if you have 3x DVI monitors, you'll need only one active adapter. If you have 2x DVI monitors and a single DP monitor, then you dont need any active adapters.

So how about a video of what you do with this rig? Like, your normal stuff, and the cool stuff that you've been doing.

I love how there hasn't been a post in this thread by its creator since April 7th, or a post in the forum by the OP since April 9th, and yet this thread lives on.

OP, hope everything is ok, would love to see more.

I had high hopes that this build would be a brilliant example of [H]ness. I hope the OP has not lost his inspiration. That would be devastating to this thread.

billy-blue - we're listening but you're not saying anything.

Is anybody...out there? Can't wait to see/hear more about this excellent build. How's it coming?

His last time on the hardforum was 5/16. Those 4 kids and wife probably keeping him busy.

I just check this again to see if there was any updates. Hope he is doing well.

Sorry to let this thread (and forum) drop while so many were helping and watching... Since then, I've had another kid and then run out of square footage so I had to give up the desk. I sold 5 of the screens to a friend who turned them into a 5x1 portrait eyefinity rig. Then most recently, I moved to Spain. I now have a wonderful house with plenty of square footage, but none of my stuff yet. I don't know when and how I'll set up my next rig, especially since getting supplies (particularly lumber) is a bit of a hassle. But thanks for all the love!

Please tell me you're not talking about LCD area ;)
Of course, ;). You can never have enough pixels. No, actually that setup was in my bedroom and needed to make room for the baby to stay in there until she got old enough to move out. She's about 9 months now and is out of our room, but now we have plenty of other rooms that a new desk could go in...

Back