Bizarre issue with Gigabyte X58-UD4P board - Memory there, but not seen by Windows.

Yup. Running stable Primed and such w/ memory @ 1543 at 3.8GHz now for about 24hrs. No complaints out of the board other than I'm hoping this gets fixed.

I hope so too, I will keep searching for new info also. I get my board next week.........

I flashed my bios to 4.5 and now system properties shows total physical memory 3.072.00 MB, and cpu-z shows my memory in slots 1,3,and 5 which is the correct slot placement, not what I stated in my previous post.

As far as I can tell my memory shows as 3Gb everywhere I know to look, and in cpu-z.

The only other thing I did, which I'm sure had no effect on the amount of ram showing in windows was set my pagefile to a static 4605 Mb, instead of letting Windows control it.

I flashed my bios to 4.5 and now system properties shows total physical memory 3.072.00 MB, and cpu-z shows my memory in slots 1,3,and 5 which is the correct slot placement, not what I stated in my previous post.

As far as I can tell my memory shows as 3Gb everywhere I know to look, and in cpu-z.

The only other thing I did, which I'm sure had no effect on the amount of ram showing in windows was set my pagefile to a static 4605 Mb, instead of letting Windows control it.
Which BIOS and where did you get it?

4.5 from the gigabyte website, although since we have different ram I fear that may be the issue as i believe you said you already tried 4.5.

4.5 from the gigabyte website, although since we have different ram I fear that may be the issue as i believe you said you already tried 4.5.

Link it if you can as BIOS version 4.5 doesn't make sense to me. If you're using the UD4P you should be on BIOS version F4 or F5 or like me... F6a/b or c.

Well my Mobo seemed to totally die last night, although don't panic I doubt it is common follow up to this issue either way mine is going back to the place I bought it from on Monday 2nd Feb.

While I doubt (hope?) the memory issue is a precursor to the board dying that’s not reassuring in the least.

I hope your replacement board is problem free!

I’m starting to wonder about my X58-UD4P still sitting in its box at home... With my luck, it’s probably going to be a dud... :D

SymptomsReagent, You having any other issues at all with your board? I have a friend who already has his and he hasn't had any problems....

Nope. No other issues. LAN port is fine, all temps are fine, the board is damn near perfect aside from my little glitch. Would still recommend it too. :)

So did you ever look closely at your pins?

I know you may not want to tear your case apart, but this is often the cause. You need to remember the memory controller is in the CPU.

I have seen Many threads where this issue was caused by a bent pin

I figured this was a BIOS issue.

Nope, using Vista x64 w/ SP1. This was addressed a few posts back.

Sorry, missed that. Have you run memtest to ensure that all DIMMs are okay?

I had the same problem with my EVGA X58 and 3GB of DDR3, but only with 32-bit Vista or XP. It's a known issue, but not likely to be resolved. The onboard peripherals seem to require Windows to reserve the ram. The solution for me is to use a 64-bit O/S.

Check this out... I moved the sticks around and got the RAM to all show up just fine:
2evyoah.jpg

At this point.... Tri-channel mode DOES work---- however the system does not access ALL available memory.. only 1GB-2GB.

I also know that the Dominator RAM is fine for this system because now it's seeing all of it without any issues.

So really it seems to me that the motherboard for some reason is not picking up on A / B / C channel's memory config and not posting correctly even though BIOS shows it just fine and windows see's that I have 3GB but can only access two. I think for the time being, I'm going to run in Dual-channel mode as the more memory the better until I hear back from Gigabyte on this.

I don't see that you have a problem at this point. The task manager show 3069MB of physical memory. Windows doesn't use all you memory unless you are running multiple processes.

Dual Channel. Sticks are in slots 4/5/6 right now.

So right now, Channel A is not even being used. I would test my #2 slot in channel A but my Thermalright 120 is blocking the memory from being put in there.

I've gotten conflicting inf concerning using 12 gigs, 6 x 2 gig sticks of Corsair Dominator 1600 ,in this board with an I7 965 EE CPU. Some say it "should work while Giga says its not supported. Has anyone actually ran it with all 6 dimms filled or is it something that will be pointless to even try?

Well F me.... board crapped on me today. RMA'ing to Newegg. I actually feel good about this though as this needed to happen since I believe there was something wrong with this board from the get go.

Well I'm planning on giving it a shot with 6 2 gig dominator 1600 sticks. Any suggestions as to changes I should make/consider in the bios? If I'm not lucky tho and it doesn't work which of the following 2 choices would be best

1. Use all 6 sticks for a total of 12 gigs but underclock them to 1333
or
2 Just go with 3 sticks for a total of 6 gigs at 1600

Some help/opinons would be welcome

As long as your cooler doesn't block the #1/2 memory slots. The dominators will NOT fit under the thermalright 120 cooler.

I’ve returned the X58-UD4P and ordered a X58-UD5. Following the manual instructions, I placed the ram in slots 1, 3, 5, only to get an error code 69 during POST. Changing the ram to slots 2, 4, 6 corrected the issue. From what I’ve read in different forums, it’s a common issue. Besides that, I’m pleased with the setup so far. No errors in Windows regarding the available memory. I’m using a Noctua NH-U12P cooler and all the memory slots are accessible.

Are you by any chance counting slots from left to right as 1,2,3,4,5,6? I know in my manual for my UD4P manual it shows they have numbered the slots oddly, at least to me, as 2,1,4,3,6,5.

@bratboy
Yes, from left to right as 1,2,3,4,5,6. My ram is now in slots 2, 3, and 5. I could swear its how it is in the manual.

Edit : Duh! You are absolutely right! From left to right, it’s 2,1, 4, 3, 6, 5. So my ram is in 1, 3, 5 (white slots).

Nope, just downloaded the manual for your MB to see if they had changed the layout and they didnt.

Dimm Slots going from Left to right are numbered:
DDR3_2, DDR3_1, DDR3_4, DDR3_3, DDR3_6, DDR3_5

and for 3 sticks supposed to populate DIMM slots 1, 3, & 5 which probably explains your initial problem

That’s what appends when you mix alcohol and computer assembling! :D And thanks for the correction.

<sigh> Gave up the juice back in 94 but sure could use a drink once in a while these days LOL

Back