Bittorent won't download above 25kB/s

Gullop

n00b
So for about 2 weeks bittorent won't download above 25kB/s. I have a Belkin F5D7630-4A router and the port bittorent is using is forwarded(i hope so). I have tried using utorrent and bittornado but the same thing happens. I have also tried many different torrents from 800 seeds and 50 leechers, to the average torrents.

I am worried my ISP(Pipex) is limiting the speed i can download through bittorent, is there anyway I can verify/ solve this. Or is this something else?

When downloading off a web-site I download at 250kB/s and I have no firewall, here is a example of the slow speed:

Any suggestion is appreciated as im willing to try anything.

Thanks.

Try Azureus I have had Utorrent for a while but I went back to Azereus. The speeds are like 2-4 times higher on files.

Use Azureus, and do the NAT/firewall test.. that will tell you if you need to open a port. Do you have uploading turned real real down? That can affect downloading speed as well.

The trick to fast speeds with uTorrent I've found is using the Scheduler. Set everything to the Limited (light green) and then play around with your upload speed. I set download at 999. The upload I settled on 10, if I went higher with it the up traffic was getting in the way of the down traffic. I regularly get 600-900 down on the weekends, maybe about a thrid of that during the week. I'm using Comcast cable.

You need to configure your bittorrent client if you want the best speed possible. You can check out the Azureus Wiki entry for Good Settings to get you started.

PS, it's called 'file sharing' for a reason, try to seed as much as possible.

while using uTorrent, I noticed that the more speed I allocate for uploading files, that faster my download gets ;) nuff said

Do you have your uploads capped at 8k? I had the same problem until I raised my upload to 25k, now I download at 300k or so. As someone said above, it is file sharing so you should be seeding. I know that many BitTorrent clients only let you download at 10k or so if your upload is capped at 5 or under.

most sharing programs are like that now. eMule is a very good example. U need at least 10 KB/S to start enjoying fast downloads ;)

Lt.Doomsday said:
Link to the U-Torrents forum about your router:
hxxp://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=6048

PDF Link for Speed Issue:
hxxp://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=120206/1139719459/mini-guide.pdf

with my D-link router {di-524},i had to make a port. also had to do it with windows firewall before i could get any good speed with U-Torrent.i'm thinking of changing the port number on mine to something differant
Thanks for searching, problem is i was downloading at good speeds just 2 weeks ago and now all of a sudden its dropped, so i don't think its my router. I tried what they said anyway, but no luck.
Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
Use Azureus, and do the NAT/firewall test.. that will tell you if you need to open a port. Do you have uploading turned real real down? That can affect downloading speed as well.
I tried that and the ports are fine. Thanks

I also tried Azureus, same speed.

The upload is low on the example because no one was really downloading the file, i can upload to 30kB/s and still only download at 25kB/s.

I asked on another forum and they said:
Adam.. what ISP are you with?

My ISP PIPEX as just start to throttle all P2P traffic.. gone from 200k down to 20/30k ... using Encyrption got me back into the 3digits/

could a totally different problem for you though?

Did you download all windows update in FEB? a new TCP update came out so you will need to repatch the TCP sys file again as before.
And i am with Pipex so it doesn't look good. Ill try what he said though.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Back