Bitcoiners and Southern Islands Midrange

What effect will bitcoiners have on the upcoming midrange Southern Islands cards?

• No effect at all.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Midrange cards will be hard to find through Christmas.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Prices on midrange cards wil be pushed above MSRP through Christmas.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Midrange cards will sell above MSRP and be hard to find though Christmas.

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

BecauseScience

[H]ard|Gawd
I wondering if the bitcoiners are going to go bananas for the midrange Southern Islands cards. Will it be a major pain the ass to find them in stock? Will they push the prices up above MSRP?

Yay let's speculate on a product that has not even been formally announced :rolleyes:

Yay let's speculate on a product that has not even been formally announced :rolleyes:

Oh the horror! Half of the threads on [H] consist of speculation on products that haven't been formally announced. If you didn't want to contribute why did you click on the thread?

The Southern Island architecture might not even be that great for Bitcoining. You suggest the midrange would be because you think it is VLIW, but the latest rumors I have seen indicate that the entire Southern Island architecture is GCN save for the gpu on Trinity.

where is the option for "who cares". poll fail :p

The Southern Island architecture might not even be that great for Bitcoining. You suggest the midrange would be because you think it is VLIW, but the latest rumors I have seen indicate that the entire Southern Island architecture is GCN save for the gpu on Trinity.

^- This. Speculation is kind of useless in regards to Bitcoin.

You suggest the midrange would be because you think it is VLIW, but the latest rumors I have seen indicate that the entire Southern Island architecture is GCN save for the gpu on Trinity.

I asked about midrange cards because I buy a midrange cards. There were no assumptions about architecture, suitability for mining, or performance built into my question.

where is the option for "who cares". poll fail :p

The real question is who cares that you don't care. I sure as hell don't.

Then you'll have to wait for confirmation on what architecture the S.I. midrange cards use. At least some of the new SI cards are going to be AMD's new GCN (graphics core next) as opposed to a VLIW design. GCN on paper looks like it may not be as good at bitcoin mining as a vliw design (it's sort of like AMD's version of Fermi, which sucks at bitcoin). No possible way to know until someone tries it out.

At this point it's not known which cards in SI lineup are going to be GCN or VLIW4,if the midrange(Cayman replacement) card is going to be VLIW4,likelihood it is going to be very popular for bitcoin,performance per watt is going to go up a lot compared to Cayman,but I think overall performance is going to be somewhat less.

About GCN,it's hard to predict its encrypting capability compared to Cayman,but I'm going to say that's at the very least it's going to be as good as Cayman.

It's not just the extra ALUs that make bitcoin faster on AMD cards. There is one specific operation it relies heavily upon, and AMD cards can do that in 1 op, while nVidia cards require 3 to emulate that op... that's the "other 50%," of why AMD GPU are faster in mining...

Where is the "Who Cares" option?

And in addition to my above post reply.

I second you and support your statement. Maybe AMD will disable all abilities to whore out their cards for bitcoin mining and allow us real gamers to actually find cards on the market instead of perpetual sold out notifications across the internet.

And in addition to my above post reply.

I second you and support your statement. Maybe AMD will disable all abilities to whore out their cards for bitcoin mining and allow us real gamers to actually find cards on the market instead of perpetual sold out notifications across the internet.

Lol, why would AMD do that? If I was in charge of the company I would never do that as if I know there is even more want for my product I would never disable that ability for just another crowd. All companies care about is $$$ nothing else. If you will want one, so badly when these cards come out order when they're right in stock. Have to beat the competition to the prize ;).

I know the high end is still up in the air in regards to performance, but if its leaps above what Cayman was expect the Bitcoiners to want those instead. The difficulty goes up on bitcoining, so any extra speed in the same power envelope will make them want those badly.

Fuck bitcoin.

Use your GPUs to fold for a cure, do something to help someone.

(yes, AMD GPUs are not as efficient at folding as nvidia cards, but you get the picture.;))

Back