Bitcoin Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get about 25mhash more with Phoenix 1.48 then I did with GUIMiner. I downclocked my 6870 memory from 1150 to 344 and gained about 10mhash.

Getting 276mhash with my XFX 6870 at core 1000MHz, mem 344MHz, and Phoenix 1.48 with Aggression of 7. Get maybe 5-7mhash more with aggression at 11, but not worth the stutter when I want to use my PC.

just got mine working and with no tweaking sitting at 700M-h at stock settings. The heat is POORING out of the box now OMG! It doesn't dump this much heat playing BFBC2 at 5760x1200. Will play with mem settings and clocks to see if I can bump up some.

it's not just to get the core clock running at a higher speed though, I have no idea why, but even at the same core clocks changing the memory to around 345MHz gives me the best hash rates with my 5850, and they get lower if I put it at 350MHz, 400MHz, 500MHz, etc., you have to play around with it, someone else may get their best hash rate at 344MHz...lol..

Huh, so it is.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=4292.0

Seems somewhere around 1/3 of your core speed should be a sweet spot.

thats weird ...

well I have 2 x5870s and a 5970... i might play around later...

any place that converts bitcoins to USD?

what are ya'll using to fully control the speeds? I'm at 900/900 core/mem right now. Can't go higher on core or lower on mem.. If this works, I will be WaterCooling my cores and dumping the heat outside the house for the summer.

MSI Afterburner here. May have to edit the cfg file for full overclocking/underclocking.

also, I'm not running the cpu client but sitting at about 40-50% cpu utilization with my q9550, this normal?

just got mine working and with no tweaking sitting at 700M-h at stock settings. The heat is POORING out of the box now OMG! It doesn't dump this much heat playing BFBC2 at 5760x1200. Will play with mem settings and clocks to see if I can bump up some.

lol, yeah, this thing is a better gpu stresser than furmark...lol

I would assume it's the MSI's Afterburner. http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

yep, there are a few tricks to MSIafterburner...

1. your two "unofficialoverclocking" lines should look like this in MSIafterburner.cfg

unofficialoverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
unofficialoverclockingMode = 1

2. to get your memory low slide it to the lowest possible (and have your gpu clock set where you want it), apply, then close...

reopen afterburner and it should let you slide it further down, basically rinse and repeat until about 345MHz (give or take a few MHz)...

lol... its hotter in my room than that because of them...

so long as the chips are not over what 95c they should be stable...

Just trying this out with 1x 5870 and I'd be in for a [H] pool.

And yeah... this DC makes my 5870 run hotter than I've ever seen it in other projects. (nowhere close to 95c, but still)

If this works then my i7 can also continue on with F@H SMP.

Count my 5850 in for the pool. I started a bit earlier due to the thread elsewhere on these boards. Quite frankly, I still dont fully understand how the hash works and all that, but I dont much care. I've got the hardware installed, my 5850 is at 99% load and running at 77c. So I dont see any problems. If all I need to do is a few clicks and actually make some money, hell, why not. Running at 265 mhash (wtf that means I still dont really know lol).

Post up the info here if the [H] pool is created and I'll be joining in.

what are ya'll using to fully control the speeds? I'm at 900/900 core/mem right now. Can't go higher on core or lower on mem.. If this works, I will be WaterCooling my cores and dumping the heat outside the house for the summer.

I had an issue with Afterburner not allowing me to adjust core voltage at all for my Powercolor PCS+ 5850 (purchased used for $140 shipped w/ Dirt2 coupon! lol), but I was able to download Sapphire's TriXX utility and it worked like a charm.

For those of you who feel intimidated by the setup process there are a couple of browser based OpenCL GPU miner projects up and running. All you need to do is use Firefox 4 and install a WebCL plugin, then create an account at one of the pool sites and start mining away.

Plugin: http://webcl.nokiaresearch.com/
Browser based miners: http://kradminer.com/ and http://www.coined.com/

P.S: Perhaps adding this to the main post would be a good idea.

For those of you who feel intimidated by the setup process there are a couple of browser based OpenCL GPU miner projects up and running. All you need to do is use Firefox 4 and install a WebCL plugin, then create an account at one of the pool sites and start mining away.

Plugin: http://webcl.nokiaresearch.com/
Browser based miners: http://kradminer.com/ and http://www.coined.com/

P.S: Perhaps adding this to the main post would be a good idea.

I wish i had known that before i spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to get it to work! I was over complicating it apparently.

Tip:
If you are pool mining, you do not need to download the bitcoin software itself. Just the miner.

I wonder how the browser ones compare performance wise... And i wonder if they'll work at my work computer.

I stopped one of my GPU miner rigs (using 6970s overclocked to 940core on each) for a couple of minutes to see how fast the browser miners are. As I feared, it used the idle desktop clocks (250Mhz core) instead of the full 3d clocks. To say the least Mhash/s was utterly disappointing:

image3uil.jpg

If someone knows how to get the plugin to use full 3d clocks this would be most user friendly way to mine.

Count my 5850 in for the pool. I started a bit earlier due to the thread elsewhere on these boards. Quite frankly, I still dont fully understand how the hash works and all that, but I dont much care. I've got the hardware installed, my 5850 is at 99% load and running at 77c. So I dont see any problems. If all I need to do is a few clicks and actually make some money, hell, why not. Running at 265 mhash (wtf that means I still dont really know lol).

Post up the info here if the [H] pool is created and I'll be joining in.

are you overclocking at all...? 265 seems low, well actually, it seems like stock speeds, I have mine OCed/UCed 935/345 pulling ~350 MH/s at around 60°, and I live in a hot apartment and it was in the 90s today...

also the -v 128 flag works well on 5850s, my hashes jumped from 288 to 348 with that one flag added...

Last edited:

that's weird, my 5850 runs cool (60°) OCed/UCed to 935/345, and I live in a hot 2 bedroom apartment with a window AC unit...

now my rig with the 4890/4870 crossfire...? yes, heat POURS out of that case (to the point where I sweat when sitting in my chair), I need to ditch those, hell, even a single 5770 would run cooler, use way less powah and out hash those two cards combined...

I thought I had found a cheap 5770 on bitcoin classifieds for 4BTC but it turned out to be a scam so I didn't deal with him, he linked someone else's heat trying to fool people, the dumbass didn't spell the first name the same and had a totally different last name...lol

btw, be very careful of that site, it's inundated with scammers...

Last edited:
It's because I'm fighting a crossfire issue. Not only are both my 5870's dumping heat but my q9550 is sitting at 50% utilization adding even more heat especially since it's also OC'd to 3.66ghz. I'll have to put a wattage meter to see how much heat I am pooring into the room.

Last edited:
I was running rpcminer-opencl at a steady 195khash/sec before I switched to poclbm and -v -w 128, now pulling 285khash/sec with only a 760 OC core on the 5850 (reference cooler), dont want to push the heat much higher (85C constant)

good for .5 BTC a day

It's because I'm fighting a crossfire issue. Not only are both my 5870's dumping heat but my q9550 is sitting at 50% utilization adding even more heat especially since it's also OC'd to 3.66ghz. I'll have to put a wattage meter to see how much heat I am pooring into the room.

yeah, after I posted I actually thought of that because of the MH/s rate you posted (which totally slipped my mind while posting)...

Well, I finally started Folding again, and can confirm that there is almost no hit on my 2600K's PPD while mining.

Do note, however, that I am currently folding SMP only, as a warm-up before I jump into BigADV.

I also have a sweet 6950 on the way to replace my 4850.

One of my rigs is setup for crossfire. No issues or performance problems. Also confirmed last night minor CPU load when mining. <2%

With windows, you need either
a) crossfire or
b) dummy plugs to get the GPU's to be available to mine

From the hash rate thread...

if we're gonna even attempt this, I still think we should get estimates to see if it'll even be possible to keep our current payouts close to what they are on other pools...

Total hash rate isn't going to have any effect on amount of payouts. It'll only affect the frequency of payouts (less frequent but larger vs. more frequent but smaller).

From the hash rate thread...

Total hash rate isn't going to have any effect on amount of payouts. It'll only affect the frequency of payouts (less frequent but larger vs. more frequent but smaller).

Bingo! Hashing speed is hashing speed; nothing more.

are you overclocking at all...? 265 seems low, well actually, it seems like stock speeds, I have mine OCed/UCed 935/345 pulling ~350 MH/s at around 60°, and I live in a hot apartment and it was in the 90s today...

also the -v 128 flag works well on 5850s, my hashes jumped from 288 to 348 with that one flag added...

My CCC settings:

bitcoin.jpg

I want to know if someone can clear up a question about all of the usernames/passwords that are needed to get started.

When I install the client (maybe it is not needed if I am installing a miner?) I need to set up an rpcuser & pass.

When I join a pool, I will set up another username + pass.

The pool wants me to have a worker username + pass

Finally, if I have a Mt Gox acct, I assume I will need another username + pass.

Of these 4, do any of the usernames/passwords need to match up for the programs to run or me to get credited correctly, or should they all be unique? Does the wallet have a password involved, or is it the pool's account info the password that is commonly mentioned that needs to have a strong password? Sorry for all of the questions, just cannot find a clear distinction on the bitcoin forums.

Your pool username is basically your "main account" for distributed mining, you create workers under that account to mine with. They do not need to have the same password as the main account. I make one worker per computer.

Mt. Gox account is an entirely different account

Do dont need local client rpc pass and user unless you are running your own pool/server.
Your financial ones (mt gox, etc) dont share with ANYTHING!
Every pool is a little different, but the ones I use just want one user and pass. You dont need multiple workers unless you want to sort your stats by worker. You can run as many boxes/cards as you want on one worker.

The pool I am in requires me to setup a worker, so my login on my client is poolusernam.workerusername, then the password for my worker.

If you do command line, normally you have to do:
Code:
http://POOLUSERNAME.WORKERNAME:PASSWORD@POOLWEBSITE:PORT/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back