Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

tsd: Simplecoin payout is based on shares turned in correct? If we found a block now, I have 81,581 / 954,767 shares = 4.27 BTC(minus my donation and whatever transaction fees), correct?

Trying to figure out how many days I can mine without finding a block to make it worthwhile, compared to a regular SMPPS pool.

Scoring method on Simplecoin is currently "Last N Shares" where N is half the difficulty. So with difficulty being 1,805,701, scoring is based solely on the last 902,850 shares submitted. So for long blocks, it penalizes pool hoppers.

Scoring method on Simplecoin is currently "Last N Shares" where N is half the difficulty. So with difficulty being 1,805,701, scoring is based solely on the last 902,850 shares submitted. So for long blocks, it penalizes pool hoppers.
Also penalizes guys who can't mine 24/7 like me. :(

Also penalizes guys who can't mine 24/7 like me. :(

Yeah, there are definitely some flaws with Last N Shares. If you "reverse pool hop", you can also game the system as well.

Personally, I'm a fan of a Shared Maximum PPS system like Eligius uses. It basically strives to maintain a steady payout over time. So short rounds build up a buffer to pay out more on longer rounds. So dedicated members of the pool get a steady payout and there's no incentive to pool hop.

Well,after tsd refined the estimated playout,it's kind of disappointing when seeing my estimated @0.08 compare to the previous 0.2 per round.

It equals to slush's pool,but takes a few days for a single block instead of several per hour.

So what's the incentive here over slush? It saves you the 2% management fee?

Yeah, no fees, it's got some protection from pool hoppers, I get pretty low stale percentage, and I like how tsd runs his pool. If you're a 24/7 miner, payout should be pretty close to theoretical.

Forgive me for my opportunism but I am going to mine i0coins for two or three days until it collapses like ixcoin. Since BTCGuild came out with an i0coin pool, it makes it too easy for me to just copy and paste my old scripts from BTCGuild. I feel so dirty.

So what's the incentive here over slush? It saves you the 2% management fee?

Yes, there are no fees and it takes more days per block since the total hashrate of the pool is much lower but that means that you get a much bigger share since you are only 1/30 miners instead of 1/300 miners, etc.

Yeah, no fees, it's got some protection from pool hoppers, I get pretty low stale percentage, and I like how tsd runs his pool. If you're a 24/7 miner, payout should be pretty close to theoretical.

Makes sense, I have a 5850/5830/5770 en route so hopefully I can get it up next week. What size power supply would I need for say hypothetically 2x5850, 2x5830, and a dual core AMD AM3? 850w?

Makes sense, I have a 5850/5830/5770 en route so hopefully I can get it up next week. What size power supply would I need for say hypothetically 2x5850, 2x5830, and a dual core AMD AM3? 850w?

A *good* 850W should be able to handle it. Power supply will probably be putting out about 700W or so with reasonable overclocks.

A *good* 850W should be able to handle it. Power supply will probably be putting out about 700W or so with reasonable overclocks.

I'm looking at the Corsair/Seasonic lines, any others I should consider? The only one I've ever used is a Corsair 650W which is chugging along with a 6950, 5830, Q6600, and 4 Hitachi 7200 2TBs :D

I actually have two 5870s running of an Antex TruePower Trio 550W :-O Yeah, I know, but I already had a decent 775 system with that powersupply. It has worked perfectly fine.

I have two systems with Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W PSUs with only 3 cards each. They should be able to handle 5 potentially.

I just bought a Corsair TX850W V2. Make sure you get the V2 series as they are manufactured by Seasonic. This will run about 3 cards in the future (only have one right now).

Remember also that the lower the load on your PSU, the higher the efficiency and cooler the PSU. Running a powersupply to it's limit (like I am with that one 550W system) may not be that great in the long run because of wasted electricity in costs but then again, it might work out to be not very much at all. It's up to you.

I'm looking at the Corsair/Seasonic lines, any others I should consider? The only one I've ever used is a Corsair 650W which is chugging along with a 6950, 5830, Q6600, and 4 Hitachi 7200 2TBs :D

Those are definitely good brands.

If you're looking at high efficiency units, take a look at the Kingwin Lazer Gold 850W. I bought one recently from Meritline for $139. It's built on the same Superflower platform as the NZXT Hale 90 and a few others. It's certainly a lesser known brand, but the reviews show they're pretty badass power supplies...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=206

Yeah, there are definitely some flaws with Last N Shares. If you "reverse pool hop", you can also game the system as well.

Personally, I'm a fan of a Shared Maximum PPS system like Eligius uses. It basically strives to maintain a steady payout over time. So short rounds build up a buffer to pay out more on longer rounds. So dedicated members of the pool get a steady payout and there's no incentive to pool hop.

Reverse pool hopping shouldn't work either, As they miss out on short rounds, which is the major incentive over maxpps.

Oh, and simplecoin is now classified as a business to Fortiguard users, you should be able to reach the site now.

Last edited:
Oh, and simplecoin is now classified as a business to Fortiguard users, you should be able to reach the site now.

You roxor.. Just tested OK
What do you have to do to get your website classified? Need that done for my personal repair site.

You roxor.. Just tested OK
What do you have to do to get your website classified? Need that done for my personal repair site.

I just googled fortiguard classification, went to the contact page and filled in the site info. really simple and fast actually.

Your pool does not have short rounds ;)

I dunno, 37 minutes is pretty short. ;)

On another topic, wow, stock 5870s are vastly underclocked for their stock voltage. Up to 950MHz so far on the first two I picked up and I haven't had to touch the voltage yet.

Update: Wow, broke the 1000MHz mark and still at stock voltage.

Last edited:
I dunno, 37 minutes is pretty short. ;)

Please, I can see right through you. You have a vested interest in promoting simplecoin because you are one of the top 5 miners with most hash rate there, meaning you get larger cuts out of every block mined. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that though, but if you consider 37 minutes pretty short then BTC Guild has lightning fast rounds:

fastlol.jpg

When was the last block simplecoin found? More than 2 days ago? I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on a smaller pool but I'm a stickler for calling a spade a spade. Smaller pools due to being small have less luck which diminishes the amount of theoretical coins they will mine even further. With that said, the network actually does need smaller pools so I tip my hat to you for taking the chance on top of helping decentralize the network even further thus making it more secure.

Last edited:
Please, I can see right through you. You have a vested interest in promoting simplecoin because you are one of the top 5 miners with most hash rate there, meaning you get larger cuts out of every block mined. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that though, but if you consider 37 minutes pretty short then BTC Guild has lightning fast rounds:

You wear tinfoil hats, don't you? Does everything have to be a conspiracy?

Mostly, I was just bragging that our little pool had a 37 minute round. We made friggin' bank on Monday!

When was the last block simplecoin found? More than 2 days ago? I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on a smaller pool but I'm a stickler for calling a spade a spade. Smaller pools due to being small have less luck which diminishes the amount of theoretical coins they will mine even further. With that said, the network actually does need smaller pools so I tip my hat to you for taking the chance on top of helping decentralize the network even further thus making it more secure.

Why would smaller pools have less luck? Statistically, they'll find the same proportion of blocks to their hash rate as any other pool. Sure, it's definitely feast or famine, but as long as you're finding a few blocks, on average, during each difficulty cycle, the earnings over time are going to be the same as the megapools.

I'm frustrated with the slowness of the Simplecoin website, otherwise, I am sticking around for one or two blocks and then seeing where I'm at I may go back to BTC Guild. Right now I can't access the Simplecoin website at all, I get a gateway timeout. This has happened more often than not when I have wanted to check my stats over the past few days or it takes minutes to load if at all. It's quite frustrating.

I'm frustrated with the slowness of the Simplecoin website, otherwise, I am sticking around for one or two blocks and then seeing where I'm at I may go back to BTC Guild. Right now I can't access the Simplecoin website at all, I get a gateway timeout. This has happened more often than not when I have wanted to check my stats over the past few days or it takes minutes to load if at all. It's quite frustrating.

I agree, the website is performing poorly while having bitcoind & pushpool running...

Soooo, I'm going to can that server and move it to a new 8core server like the new pool & sql server ;)

I agree, the website is performing poorly while having bitcoind & pushpool running...

Soooo, I'm going to can that server and move it to a new 8core server like the new pool & sql server ;)

Any timeframe? All my computers are remotely controlled with no other way to interface with them and sometimes I cannot reach them so I often frantically refresh the stats page on mining pools on my phone to make sure they are still up and running and performing normally.

There is an app on Android called "Miner Status" that will automatically update your hashrate and earnings with your API but it does not support Simplecoin.

Any timeframe? All my computers are remotely controlled with no other way to interface with them and sometimes I cannot reach them so I often frantically refresh the stats page on mining pools on my phone to make sure they are still up and running and performing normally.

There is an app on Android called "Miner Status" that will automatically update your hashrate and earnings with your API but it does not support Simplecoin.

I installed teamview on my BTC machiens and setup the unattended access password so I can log into them with my phone any time I see one of my miners go down and fix them or switch pools.. I monitor my miners with a Chrome extension called BitCoin Mining Monitor along with a few other android apps..

But yeah.. Would love for the lazy ass that made Miner Status to update that damned program.. Loved it with I was on DeepBit, and the guy says hes not gonna update it for a while

Down for me too..
RDP'd to my offsite rigs and they all already switched to 100% on deepbit

nvm.. Back up now
... sorta...
Miners are connected, shows they are hashing, but site does not reflect an individual hashrate and nothing that read the API is seeing a hashrate or that miners are even connected..

Last edited:
Yeah, my scripts moved my miners back to BTC Guild until we know what's up with Simplecoin. Website shows nobody mining at all in the top 30 but still reports a > 20GH/s rate. TSD where are you?

Its up. My linux miners reconnected on their own, my windows miners sat in idle :(

EIther way, we found a block :)

there is a simplecoin worker/account monitor on btc-poolwatch.com, works well for mobile too.

Ps: we got another block. As for the pool acting up, it looks like the sql server became unavailable just after I went to sleep. I'm looking into the cause.

The stats were messed up by the new unconfirmed balance being calculated immediately.

I think I had my first hardware failure. I need to try it in another machine to confirm first, but its looking like my poor little 5770 is toast.

I swapped some firewall rules around on the simplecoin sql server, now the site response is MUCH better.

Hmmm, doesn't seem any different to me. Still lags 10-15sec when clicking on links.

[Edit]
Must have been something in my cache. Much, much better now! Nice work :)

Last edited:
I'm not doing quite that well (only pushing ~860), but yeah, I sure aint complain' here :)

Back