Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

How does exiting Afterburner cause you to jump 23 Mh/s??

Most likely has something to do with hardware monitoring in the software. I did the same thing to my htpc with a single 5850 running in it. Mhash/s went from 377 to 403. Once you apply your overclocks, you can exit the software and your clocks will still be applied.

Yeah, don't use the plain OpenCL python miner, it's slow.
Use phoenix with phatk and the kernel tweaks I linked.

good to know...is it going to save the work I have done when I ditch these openCL miners and start the new ones??

edit, also my Mhash bounces around quite a bit, is there a setting to average it over a longer time frame to get better data?

Last edited:
There is no work to save so you can switch anytime. There is no progress bar to what you are doing. You are essentially playing the lottery one ticket at a time. Every hash you process represents a lottery ticket. The chance for you to hit that lottery is dependent on the difficulty (obviously) and the speed at which you process hashes (how fast you can come up with lottery ticket numbers). Every hash has an equal chance to win though just like the lottery.

hmmm, trying a Pheonix on one of the 6950s

-k phatk AGGRESSION=11 VECTORS BFI_INT DEVICE=1 FASTLOOP=false WORKSIZE=128

only 220 M

??

hmmm, trying a Pheonix on one of the 6950s

-k phatk AGGRESSION=11 VECTORS BFI_INT DEVICE=1 FASTLOOP=false WORKSIZE=128

only 220 M

??

Tried the same thing on my 6970 and was getting 270 mhash or so. I dl'd the kernal but have no idea what to do with it.

edit: Also for whatever reason there is a performance decrease from identical cards with identical clocks. One card in the 16x slot is getting over 400 mhash while the card in the 8x slot is getting under 350 mhash, and never over.

Last edited:
I experienced the same performance drop by having a hardware monitoring app open while mining. In my case it was RealTemp. I also got the same drop if I open any website that contains flash (newegg front page, youtube, even the [H] front page and many others).

I investigated all of that more than 2 weeks ago and discovered the FASTLOOP=false and AGGRESSION=7 trick when using the then recently released guiminer 20110701

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037458006&postcount=291

After that I investigated further and narrowed it down to flash/java

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037476581&postcount=424

If I opened a page with java or flash in it, my hash rate plummeted down to ~414-417Mhash/s and it stayed there flat without moving and yes hardware acceleration for flash was disabled all along. Because of this I've simply resorted to block everything flash related with Noscript/AdBlockPlus and that fixed the problem.

Alright I was finally able to reproduce your results that you were getting with your 6970's after nxcess said closing Afterburner gave him a 23 Mh/s boost. I knew there was something else involved here because simply using the same flags as you wasn't producing the same hash rate increase. But now after closing Afterburner and all other apps I went from ~850Mh/s on my 6990 to ~915-918 Mh/s.

Alright I was finally able to reproduce your results that you were getting with your 6970's after nxcess said closing Afterburner gave him a 23 Mh/s boost. I knew there was something else involved here because simply using the same flags as you wasn't producing the same hash rate increase. But now after closing Afterburner and all other apps I went from ~850Mh/s on my 6990 to ~915-918 Mh/s.

Nice :) So I wasn't just talking out of my ass lol. Even opening the [H] front page made my hash rate drop or gmail even youtube with hardware acceleration disabled for that matter.

Last edited:
Lol,have to wait until August to replace or fix my HD5770 Hawk.Guess i'm gonna push it to the limit.

And 217 MH/s is a totally new experience from the 95 MH/s of the HD4870 Cyclone.

Also,couldn't get the 6950 due to empty budget.

I just fear that by the time i got it,the difficulty would be too great for me to get any profit.

Also,couldn't get the 6950 due to empty budget.

I just fear that by the time i got it,the difficulty would be too great for me to get any profit.

If you look at payback periods for hardware a lot of stuff is basically up 50% in the last three weeks (assuming constant difficulty and BTC-> USD conversion) due to the difficulty jump as well as the falling BTC value. If BTC hit $17+ again it would make the economics more friendly but for now it is hard to make money with new/ used hardware.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25135.0;all
Download the file and extract the kernel.cl file to the phatk folder (guiminer\kernels\phatk\). Quit and restart guiminer.

Also use AGGRESSION=7 if you are using FASTLOOP=false.

Strange, using the stock open cl with "-v -w128 -f0 BFI_INT AGGRESSION=6 " I'm getting over 400 mhash on a 6970, but with the new kernal and phoenix with " -k phatk AGGRESSION=7 VECTORS BFI_INT DEVICE=1 FASTLOOP=false WORKSIZE=128" I'm getting well under 400 mhash.

edit: And even stranger I tried the other 6970's running at the same speed and they are getting no more then 100 mhash with the phoenix setup. These are the same cards that run at 300 mhash while the one in the 16x slot is getting over 400mhash, everything I've read said that pcie bandwith will have no effect on mhash and for some reason that does not seem to be the case with me.

When using AGGRESSION=7 make sure you have all other programs closed. Anything that monitors your hardware, anything java or flash based will cut your hash rate by ~10% even stuff like the gmail or hotmail page, youtube, even the [H] front page. I sound like an old record player lol.

When using AGGRESSION=7 make sure you have all other programs closed. Anything that monitors your hardware, anything java or flash based will cut your hash rate by ~10% even stuff like the gmail or hotmail page, youtube, even the [H] front page. I sound like an old record player lol.

Same thing, Closed up avg just incase along with all the windows I had open and still no change.

I was using "-k phatk AGGRESSION=7 VECTORS BFI_INT DEVICE=1 FASTLOOP=false WORKSIZE=128" again.

It feels like I'm stuck in quicksand. I'm only mining with a single 6870 and getting about 290 mhash/s but I'm only making 0.16 BTC per day or about $2.22 gross. It costs me about $0.22 per day to give electricity to this card, so I'm only making $2 per day before air cooling costs.

It feels like I'm stuck in quicksand. I'm only mining with a single 6870 and getting about 290 mhash/s but I'm only making 0.16 BTC per day or about $2.22 gross. It costs me about $0.22 per day to give electricity to this card, so I'm only making $2 per day before air cooling costs.

Yea... and BTC prices are not on a positive trajectory.

It's not a get rich quick scheme but it's hard to argue with a free $15 a week. I can see how it seems slow now compared to a month ago, but if you don't have high expectations it's still awesome. Run your GPU for the next month with the expectation that you'll hopefully get $40 - $50 in your bank account at the end and you won't be disappointed.

sounds like its rapidly approaching the point where the turnaround time on purpose-bought hardware is getting too long. As long as it outstrips the power costs, the people who got in early and recouped their hardware costs still have reason to run, its just that the barrier to entry is growing steadily.

I've got a 4890 and space/power for 2 more cards. I just recently heard about this but I think I might jump in in a small way. Can I continue SMP folding on my hex-core while mining on the GPU? Like you said buying dedicated rigs may not pan out financially but I already have the basics so why not improve. Plus I have cheap power.

I've got a 4890 and space/power for 2 more cards. I just recently heard about this but I think I might jump in in a small way. Can I continue SMP folding on my hex-core while mining on the GPU? Like you said buying dedicated rigs may not pan out financially but I already have the basics so why not improve. Plus I have cheap power.

I have a 4870 I tried and it hashes about 90 max.... It would take almost 20 days of straight running to earn 1 coin.. Even with cheap electricity, i highly doubt it would be worth it in the end.. And that only applies until the next difficulty change (monday I think), then itll jsut get worse.. Cards like that pretty much earn you virtually nothing and just ensure the 2016 blocks get solved that much sooner, which will just raise the difficulty.

CPU mining is virtually worthless.

I think I've mined my last bitcoin. It's too hard to make an appreciable amount without significant hardware.

Also, I was suddenly feeling guilty today that we are using all his power, causing pollution and using resources to generate an intangible thing that has a good chance of being worthless someday. I think i am going to stick to folding.

I think I've mined my last bitcoin. It's too hard to make an appreciable amount without significant hardware.

Also, I was suddenly feeling guilty today that we are using all his power, causing pollution and using resources to generate an intangible thing that has a good chance of being worthless someday. I think i am going to stick to folding.

That's why you never hold on to that intangible thing for long. Always sell quick and then assess where it is going.

Wait... so you'd rather fold, using the same amount of power and pollute just as much and then not get something out of it. I'm not trying to knock folding but that logic just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Yeah, I sold everything I made as soon as I had nice tidy batches of 20 'cause I always worked under the assumption that prices would never be as good as they were right then. Luckily I caught the very end of the jump to >$30 and made the bulk of my profits there. After making a grand in total profit now, I'm going to keep mining until it becomes totally inefficient and will just hang on to every coin produced to see what happens with them down the road. I was mighty tempted to reinvest some of the profits into more hardware but projections didn't look good at all. I should've done it much much earlier 'cause difficulty is simply too high now. If anyone were to expand now they'd have to do it hardcore though 'cause the window of profitability is closing fast. Or they could do it if they find some exceptionally cheap used hardware.

Then again, some new money could come in to the market causing the value of coins to increase again for all we know. I'm wondering what will happen if congress doesn't get their shit together and at least agree to an interim half-assed solution to the debt ceiling problem.

On a lighter note, marvel at this masterpiece of contemporary art.

Titled, "What's a case?"
1bff720d73625bfb12d6c08.jpg

That's why you never hold on to that intangible thing for long. Always sell quick and then assess where it is going.

Wait... so you'd rather fold, using the same amount of power and pollute just as much and then not get something out of it. I'm not trying to knock folding but that logic just doesn't make sense.

Apart from the fact that we may help cure something really nasty, you're right. We get nothing out of it but bills and points.;)

I'm not going to start any flame war, you guys do what you do, us folders will do what we do:)

Then again, some new money could come in to the market causing the value of coins to increase again for all we know. I'm wondering what will happen if congress doesn't get their shit together and at least agree to an interim half-assed solution to the debt ceiling problem.

I would not hold my breath on this one. The reason BTC are on a downward trajectory is because not enough money is going into the market and you cannot use it places. Better put, none of my clients are thinking of using BTC, but their CFOs are looking at things like additional gold exposure.

Remember, even if people accept BTC for hardware, it is on the exchange basis of a currency like the USD not because of the value of the BTC. People just know they can exchange for another currency and buy goods anywhere.

That being said... I fold AND mine! Best of both worlds.

I think I am going to go ahead and install mining on my machine just to see what it's about. It doesn't cost anything with existing hardware. Those cycles were busy mapping the universe for the last year and a half so the power usage won't change. If I like it I might try to buy hardware from some of the guys that are getting out of the mining game, using BTC if it's possible.

Yeah, I sold everything I made as soon as I had nice tidy batches of 20 'cause I always worked under the assumption that prices would never be as good as they were right then. Luckily I caught the very end of the jump to >$30 and made the bulk of my profits there. After making a grand in total profit now, I'm going to keep mining until it becomes totally inefficient and will just hang on to every coin produced to see what happens with them down the road. I was mighty tempted to reinvest some of the profits into more hardware but projections didn't look good at all. I should've done it much much earlier 'cause difficulty is simply too high now. If anyone were to expand now they'd have to do it hardcore though 'cause the window of profitability is closing fast. Or they could do it if they find some exceptionally cheap used hardware.

On a lighter note, marvel at this masterpiece of contemporary art.

Titled, "What's a case?"
1bff720d73625bfb12d6c08.jpg

so the hammer is the "emergency stop" button...?

If I opened a page with java or flash in it, my hash rate plummeted down to ~414-417Mhash/s and it stayed there flat without moving and yes hardware acceleration for flash was disabled all along. Because of this I've simply resorted to block everything flash related with Noscript/AdBlockPlus and that fixed the problem.

Would you happen to know what I need to disable in Google Chrome so that it doesn't cause my hash rate to plummet like that? FireFox using Noscript/AdBlockPlus is usable without effecting it but the moment I open Chrome my hash rate drops from 915 Mh/s to 825 Mh/s. And it's not an issue with Java or Flash since my home page is just Google Search.

how do you know when you mined one?

been going about 800Mhash/s here for days now...albeit solo, no lottery yet

how do you know when you mined one?

been going about 800Mhash/s here for days now...albeit solo, no lottery yet

Lol, check in about 6 months.. You dont get them as you mine solo, you get the 50 coin package when you solve the block. GL

yeah, I get that...but in the mean time others can find the individual solutions I have or not...??

I guess the question is solo totally hopeless at this level, I am reluctant to throw in with a pool because I don't know who they are or what their ideologies are or whether they respect my anonymity or if they have their security well in hand etc, etc.

Anyone here know if there is an adapter that is USB to PCIE 1x?
Essentially hooking up the Video card via USB, would be going from an x16 slot, converted to an x1, then adapted to USB.

Intrigued to figure out how to run 8 cards on one mobo with 2x1000w PSUs

Also:
I feel pretty retarded.. After squeezing my non-ref 6950 as hard as I could it maxes out at about 390MHash unstable, 365 stable... My 5850 XFX got there no problem and I have even started with voltage adjustments yet..

Last edited:
dsc4979.jpg

dsc4983.jpg

Finally got all the cards playing nice in my machine with overclocks. Crossfire non-ref 5850 [925/300] overclocked with Sapphire Trixx for voltage control. AtiTrayTools for fan control of both 5850. Trixx will only control one fan out of the two. 5770 overclocked with MSI Afterburner undervolted at 1.1v [900/300]. It was a pain trying to find a utility to control both 5850 fans w/o interfering with Trixx settings. 2x120 side mounted fans to blow air over the video cards. Top card maxes out at 72C.

Anyone here know if there is an adapter that is USB to PCIE 1x?
Essentially hooking up the Video card via USB, would be going from an x16 slot, converted to an x1, then adapted to USB.

Intrigued to figure out how to run 8 cards on one mobo with 2x1000w PSUs

Also:
I feel pretty retarded.. After squeezing my non-ref 6950 as hard as I could it maxes out at about 390MHash unstable, 365 stable... My 5850 XFX got there no problem and I have even started with voltage adjustments yet..

Pretty sure I saw one in here.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1522180

Also, when this is all over the 6950 will be worth much more then the 5830, the prices on those will drop suddenly and by a lot.

Would you happen to know what I need to disable in Google Chrome so that it doesn't cause my hash rate to plummet like that? FireFox using Noscript/AdBlockPlus is usable without effecting it but the moment I open Chrome my hash rate drops from 915 Mh/s to 825 Mh/s. And it's not an issue with Java or Flash since my home page is just Google Search.

Yeah I was reading people having issues with Chrome and mining as well. I've no idea why it causes a drop since it's written in C++, maybe the culprit is Webkit?

Back