• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

Pretty much. The guy that runs simplecoin is a member here.
Yeah! I noticed that.
I thought ¾ of the pool just didn't do the whole forum thing! Turns out, ya do...over here!

What my question is, Where was everybody for the first two months of simplecoin?
 
Tis a sad day


My e5200, 2GB DDR2 and DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS PLUS rig exploded last night, woke up in the morning to see it not running and after hours of tweaking I could not get it to post, then I lifted it up and last that the entire right edge was crispy and burnt. My cards are going to have to wait, I had everything set up so well there too getting 1.7 GH/S after a serious week of tweeking with OC's on the cards :(


RIP
 
Tis a sad day


My e5200, 2GB DDR2 and DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS PLUS rig exploded last night, woke up in the morning to see it not running and after hours of tweaking I could not get it to post, then I lifted it up and last that the entire right edge was crispy and burnt. My cards are going to have to wait, I had everything set up so well there too getting 1.7 GH/S after a serious week of tweeking with OC's on the cards :(


RIP

:( This is one of my nightmares. What do you think happened to it? Are the cards okay? That's all that matters. Boards and CPUs are cheap since you can just pick up a cheapo board, fit it with cheapo extenders, and a cheapo CPU. If you are nuts, you could even chain together cheapo PSUs.
 
:( This is one of my nightmares. What do you think happened to it? Are the cards okay? That's all that matters. Boards and CPUs are cheap since you can just pick up a cheapo board, fit it with cheapo extenders, and a cheapo CPU. If you are nuts, you could even chain together cheapo PSUs.

Haven't tried all the cards but they all seem to be ok, No idea what causes the frying of the MB, I'd hooked up a fourth card to that setup for the first time the day before so it was either that or the heat from it sitting on a the cardboard MB box. I bought it all as a combo not even a month ago so that sucks the most.
 
Looks like after the rash of good luck, we are super overdue for the next block at Simplecoin :(
 
Haven't tried all the cards but they all seem to be ok, No idea what causes the frying of the MB, I'd hooked up a fourth card to that setup for the first time the day before so it was either that or the heat from it sitting on a the cardboard MB box. I bought it all as a combo not even a month ago so that sucks the most.

Motherboard should be on standoffs on a metal backplate from any old ATX case (I used some junk cases from the 90s) with the bare metal of the PSU touching the metal plate to provide electrical ground.
 
Looks like after the rash of good luck, we are super overdue for the next block at Simplecoin :(

Yes, it must be some form of cosmic payback for the half-difficulty blocks we had last week.
/sarcasm

Seriously, hope this block ends and we knock out a few more quickly. Either that or get some more hashing power.
 
Motherboard should be on standoffs on a metal backplate from any old ATX case (I used some junk cases from the 90s) with the bare metal of the PSU touching the metal plate to provide electrical ground.

I would thing it was the strain on the pci slots that caused it, will never know for sure.




Anybody know if this

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870-G45.html

would run 4 6970's with no issues? I have two 16x>16x extenders and a 1x>1x extender but is there a pci > pcie x16 extender out there I could use for the fourth card?




edit: Found this

https://cablesaurus.com/index.php?m..._id=21&zenid=f81127dd8b006e53e88e5926913cdad0

at that price it would be better to just pay a bit more for a MB with two pcie 1x slots.
 
flashing my 6950 is not working. When I load the bios into atiwinflash it just says vbios image not found. I put it in position 2. Tried it on position 1. Same results. And yes i already backed up the bios. Edited the original bios and just changed the shader count and saved. It saved as a .rom on gpuz. Is that fine?

If I have to do the gum trick to flash this screw it then I'll leave it be.
 
flashing my 6950 is not working. When I load the bios into atiwinflash it just says vbios image not found. I put it in position 2. Tried it on position 1. Same results. And yes i already backed up the bios. Edited the original bios and just changed the shader count and saved. It saved as a .rom on gpuz. Is that fine?

If I have to do the gum trick to flash this screw it then I'll leave it be.

Which model of 6950 do you have?
 
Powercolor 6950 1gb

The one with twin fans?

If it's a 1GB model, it's likely been binned to a 6950 from a 6970 as one of the lesser performing cores and thusly incapable of unlocking the extra shaders. You might get lucky though but your chances aren't good.

Some of the 2GB 6950s are 6970s or near 6970s that have been marked down for market volume. I don't think any 1GB models are.
 
You asked "What other 1 slot card can you find that would be a better deal?"

5870s can be had for $200 and do 430-440 mhash without any voltage bump. Is it 600 mhash? No. Is it a better price/performance ratio? yes.

I see what you are saying, but I paid $380 for 2 5870s and am getting 885-895 mhashes out of the 2 of them.


So if I had to pick:

1. New 6870x2 = 1 slot = 600-630 mhashes
or
2. 2 used 5870s = 2 slots = 860-900 mhashes

By my personal preference, I would pick the 5870s. That is just me though. Also, used 5870 prices vary as well.
 
Ya i guess it depends on if you are limited on slots / rigs. I have lots of spare machines around and would take 3 5830s for 900mhas or 2 5850s for 700 mhash. Heck i can even just buy 2 6870s for less money and the'll probably oc better to boot. All would be better bang for the buck than that monstrosity. At a minimum for me to even consider hardware I need to get 2mhash per $1. For me to immediately jump on something without thinking twice i would have to see 2.5 to 3 mhash per $1
 
Last edited:

Show me one card that can do 600 mhash used for $379

It's not like slots are at a premium when all you need is a 1x slot to mine.

$400 can buy you two used 5870s that do 430 MH/s each. That's 860 MH/s for $400 versus $400 for 600 MH/s in a single card.
 
Damn, Simplecoin is 30 hours overdue for the last block :( It's spent 80 hours mining the current block. I guess this makes up for two blocks within 30 minutes last week.
 
just ordered a pair of AMD Athlon II X2 250's a pair of MSI 970A-G45's and a pair of some 16GB ADATA usb thumb drives, hope to install everything using Linuxcoin using these guides

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7374.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=28dd4d5ee3e25aec37460be0da655ce1&topic=29021.40


Anybody here running linuxcoin off of a usb thumb drive? how is the performance compared to a openCL miner? Never used Linux before so not sure what to expect.

I didn't like Linuxcoin, at least the GUI and the default miner setup. I am using Ubuntu with cgminer and some startup scripts. GUI doesn't really matter as I just use openSSH to monitor and admin the machines.
 
I didn't like Linuxcoin, at least the GUI and the default miner setup. I am using Ubuntu with cgminer and some startup scripts. GUI doesn't really matter as I just use openSSH to monitor and admin the machines.

Which was easier to work with? I have no scripting experience at all.
 
Its not hard. I flashed my 5830s with the overclock I want. All I put in my bash startup script was lines to change my manual fan speed to 90% on all 4 cards, and a line to start CG miner with the flags that I want.
 
Its not hard. I flashed my 5830s with the overclock I want. All I put in my bash startup script was lines to change my manual fan speed to 90% on all 4 cards, and a line to start CG miner with the flags that I want.

Sounds easy enough, flashed your clocks using RBE in windows?
 
Back
Top