Bitcasa (unlimited storage) invites

I see in the reviews that this is a $10 a month thing. Can you tell me anything more about it. I use Dropbox (Free) as a storage area for meaningless files and PDF's that I need, as well as some tech support type files that I use when working on compuers. What would make Bitcasa a better option and worth the money other than no size limiations?

I signed up. Thanks.

I see in the reviews that this is a $10 a month thing. Can you tell me anything more about it. I use Dropbox (Free) as a storage area for meaningless files and PDF's that I need, as well as some tech support type files that I use when working on compuers. What would make Bitcasa a better option and worth the money other than no size limiations?

From what I found you can use up to 5GB free. After that the charge will come into play. I also read that referrals give the referrer and referee get an additional 1GB. If 5 people signed up using Slayer's link, he would get another 5GB free.

I haven't verified this however.

Last edited:

I do not know of any pay structure (there might be, I have been free) but it is a bit nicer as it is very integrated into the OS. It has a few options like sync, "bottomless folder", etc. Plus the portal is pretty slick. I found dropbox to be annyoing but I still keep it as a "junk file" repo. Plus bitcasa is faster than Dropbox in my opinion.

I signed up. Thanks.

From what I found you can use up to 5GB free. After that the charge will come into play. I also read that referrals give the referrer and referee get an additional 1GB. If 5 people signed up using Slayer's link, he would get another 5GB free.

I haven't verified this however.

I'm not too sure what changed since I signed up. I was around during the beginning of the beta so I have had free unlimited storage since I signed up. I've been using the refferal thing because why the hell not, not too sure if it is actually helping me but I got a bunch so far.

EDIT:

I know I am using wayyy more than 5 gigs, I got about 100 gigs in ISOs, and some other 100gb or so in VMs backed up plus all my other files.

Been considering using one of these services for a while to back up my NAS.

Bitcasa was on my short list because:

a) It is unlimited; and

b) it has a linux client

I just hope the linux client is good and it can run off of my headless NAS server

I signed up. Just a heads up - it's generally good practice to use a truecrypt (or the like) container when storing files on cloud services.

i signed up, hopefully it stays free.. free 5gb is better than nothing.

where does it say theres a 5gb cap?

It doesn't seem to say it outright anywhere. I didn't look extensively though. It's what you read on other sites about it, like review sites, and they're usually dated a few months back or so.

I honestly haven't looked into it much.

I signed up. Just a heads up - it's generally good practice to use a truecrypt (or the like) container when storing files on cloud services.

yea forgot to mention that. truecrypt. they use de-duplication so they are obviously looking at your data.

I signed up for this months ago, this is what it says in the "welcome" email about referrals.

Earn free space and time by inviting your friends. Once Bitcasa is out of Beta you can choose extra space or free months of Infinite Storage with points earned from inviting your friends.

i signed up, hopefully it stays free.. free 5gb is better than nothing.

So it's maximum 5Gb for free? Well I'm not sure that it a good policy to provide this small storage space. I don't need Premium and perfer to use free sorages. That's why bitcasa is not my choice so far. I have 8Gb on Dropboх with all this referral thing and 15 Gb on 4Sync by default. So in general it's 23Gb of storage. But, well, it might be a good idea to make it 28 Gb))

Thanks OP! Signed up under your referral. Was looking for some cloud storage. :p

yea forgot to mention that. truecrypt. they use de-duplication so they are obviously looking at your data.

I agree, didn't even think of using TrueCrypt. Thanks for the idea Slayer. :D

Back