BioWare's new IP: Anthem

PC Gamer goes into detail regarding the microtransactions. No biggie if its for cosmetics. For the demo I created a Red-White-Blue theme because 'Merica but also because it helped it stand out among the jungle and darker areas in certain levels. Wish I took a screenshot of it.

On a side not I'd like to see more games allow custom emblems like I can create for my Battlefield 4 soldier.

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-micr...n-buy-in-anthems-cosmetic-store/#comment-jump

The micro transactions are literally a non issue. Everything you can buy is purely cosmetic, and you can buy it with the in game currency. Prices are in line with other games for character skins. There also doesn't appear to be any loot boxes, so you'll know exactly what you're getting if you use real money.

Last edited:
so logged in today at lunch and had 0 issues connecting or playing. Only got through the intro/tutorial section and made it to the fort but didn't have 1 server or client problem. So far mouse controls still suck balls when it comes to flying though :(

so logged in today at lunch and had 0 issues connecting or playing. Only got through the intro/tutorial section and made it to the fort but didn't have 1 server or client problem. So far mouse controls still suck balls when it comes to flying though :(
Good to know they fixed connectivity issues. The super sensitive mouse flying is ROUGH! lol

I been watching the youtube 4K stream most of the time and it seems levelling is hardly a problem. And getting gear seems to be the key to get easier time. I don't mean the high level one but the gear that will suit your class better.

The stream is doing all of missions/freeplay on hard and without a good setup hard is just a lot slower...

Either way it's cheap.

$8.50 for a skin....a SKIN....is cheap?! AAA publishers will be pleased to know that they have succeeded in conditioning its customers to think that overpriced vapid cosmetics, something which used to be freely available via the modding community, are worth paying for.

$8.50 for a skin....a SKIN....is cheap?! AAA publishers will be pleased to know that they have succeeded in conditioning its customers to think that overpriced vapid cosmetics, something which used to be freely available via the modding community, are worth paying for.

It's not cheap, but it's totally in line with what just about every other game charges for skins these days.

It's not cheap, but it's totally in line with what just about every other game charges for skins these days.

EA's price gouging practices are in line with the price gouging practices of other AAA publishers....I guess that makes it less objectionable then, hoorah!

It's cheap. Less than a movie ticket or a burger and lasts longer.

It's cheap. Less than a movie ticket or a burger and lasts longer.

EA is thrilled to know that you believe that, quick buy them all up before they run out! Now that's an idea....pre-ordering microtransactions, gamers will love it.

Totally. 8 skins are absolutely the equivalent value of a brand new game. When I think to myself: "do I want to buy a new game, or buy 8 skins?" I pick 8 skins every time. /s

Best part is, You don't have to buy any skins at all if you don't want to. It has only cosmetic importance. Isn't it great what you don't have to do?

EA is thrilled to know that you believe that, quick buy them all up before they run out! Now that's an idea....pre-ordering microtransactions, gamers will love it.

Attachments

• hamburger_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqrV7QQ0P2G4eEGNIJGn9sH1jHVOhDMPUBkSn57yPXuDk.jpg
    hamburger_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqrV7QQ0P2G4eEGNIJGn9sH1jHVOhDMPUBkSn57yPXuDk.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
Best part is, You don't have to buy any skins at all if you don't want to. It has only cosmetic importance. Isn't it great what you don't have to do?

You're not addressing the point. Why stop at $8.50 then? Why not price it at $200? Then it's like getting the equivalent of ~25.2 sales at it's current equivalent price of $8.50. It's just cosmetics, no one will have to buy it at that price either.
Second, cosmetics especially in an RPG and multiplayer games have been shown to be integral parts of the gaming experience for a lot of fans. People have spent HOURS customizing characters in Skyrim or creating mods all to change the appearance of characters or things. To say that you "don't have to do it" is disingenuous. Yeah, you don't have to buy the game either. Or use a computer either. You also don't have to be alive either. Reductionist logic doesn't change terrible business practices.

Finally: you keep bringing up this cheeseburger reference, and I gotta say, it's also not very compelling. One is capable of giving you sustenance. One isn't. One is an actual real physical thing. The other can be "duplicated" infinitely at no cost to the developer (past initial development time) and sold over and over again. One required YEARS and $1000's of dollars to GROW and BE FED in order to give life. Actually if anything you're right. Maybe the value of the skin is correct and the value of the cheeseburger is incorrect. The cheeseburger should cost $200 for the INSANE amount of work put into it. Especially considering no amount of time in comparison to the skin.

You're not addressing the point. Why stop at $8.50 then? Why not price it at $200? Then it's like getting the equivalent of ~25.2 sales at it's current equivalent price of $8.50. It's just cosmetics, no one will have to buy it at that price either...

if they price it higher then the perception changes...more expensive= EA trying to rip off people with micro-transactions...more affordable price and people are willing to overlook it (as long as it's just cosmetic)

You're not addressing the point. Why stop at $8.50 then? Why not price it at $200? Then it's like getting the equivalent of ~25.2 sales at it's current equivalent price of $8.50. It's just cosmetics, no one will have to buy it at that price either.
Second, cosmetics especially in an RPG and multiplayer games have been shown to be integral parts of the gaming experience for a lot of fans. People have spent HOURS customizing characters in Skyrim or creating mods all to change the appearance of characters or things. To say that you "don't have to do it" is disingenuous. Yeah, you don't have to buy the game either. Or use a computer either. You also don't have to be alive either. Reductionist logic doesn't change terrible business practices.

Finally: you keep bringing up this cheeseburger reference, and I gotta say, it's also not very compelling. One is capable of giving you sustenance. One isn't. One is an actual real physical thing. The other can be "duplicated" infinitely at no cost to the developer (past initial development time) and sold over and over again. One required YEARS and $1000's of dollars to GROW and BE FED in order to give life. Actually if anything you're right. Maybe the value of the skin is correct and the value of the cheeseburger is incorrect. The cheeseburger should cost $200 for the INSANE amount of work put into it. Especially considering no amount of time in comparison to the skin.

If some players view them as that integral then I'd argue that theyr'e currently priced right in Anthem. And certainly priced right for the players that don't want them.

Luxury goods. Plain and simple.

BioWare made some changes to Anthem's PC controls for today's Early Access release, adding a number of new options that enables players to tweak flight and swimming controls in ways that weren't possible in the pre-release demos...it's better but still not perfect...Fortunately, more changes are coming with Anthem's day-one patch...

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-pc-controls-will-be-updated-again-next-week/

if they price it higher then the perception changes...more expensive= EA trying to rip off people with micro-transactions...more affordable price and people are willing to overlook it (as long as it's just cosmetic)

They aren't overlooking it now (as in, most people think it's a ripoff). It's not just an issue in this thread. There are plenty talking about EA/Bioware's lack of transparency regarding micro transactions and the shockingly high prices that previews have already shown.

If some players view them as that integral then I'd argue that theyr'e currently priced right in Anthem. And certainly priced right for the players that don't want them.

Luxury goods. Plain and simple.

Most players want them. And by most, I'd wager well over 90%. That is the part you aren't getting. Free to play Warframe literally made all of its money on "just cosmetics". This is an RPG and a video game. The gameplays revolves being inside of more or less a mech and getting to execute a power fantasy. Skins and looks make you elite. And everyone wants to be elite.

You have no interest in what is fair. Nor do you have any interest in what is good for the end user. I have no idea what EA has ever done for you to ingratiate themselves to you.

They aren't overlooking it now (as in, most people think it's a ripoff). It's not just an issue in this thread. There are plenty talking about EA/Bioware's lack of transparency regarding micro transactions and the shockingly high prices that previews have already shown.

Most players want them. And by most, I'd wager well over 90%. That is the part you aren't getting. Free to play Warframe literally made all of its money on "just cosmetics". This is an RPG and a video game. The gameplays revolves being inside of more or less a mech and getting to execute a power fantasy. Skins and looks make you elite. And everyone wants to be elite.

You have no interest in what is fair. Nor do you have any interest in what is good for the end user. I have no idea what EA has ever done for you to ingratiate themselves to you.

You know, You can earn coin in game too and buy some burgers with that. Like, free.

you're kidding right?...you really think 90% of players are going to pay for cosmetic microtransactions?...not even close...not when the free or in-game currency is enough to get you some really nice looking gear...Warframe is different...it's free to play so they depend on microtransactions more so then a big AAA game like Anthem

No FOV slider for a PC game ?

What in the hell does it take devs not to be stupidly lazy about things like this ?

You know, You can earn coin in game too and buy some burgers with that. Like, free.
you're kidding right?...you really think 90% of players are going to pay for cosmetic microtransactions?...not even close...not when the free or in-game currency is enough to get you some really nice looking gear...

In game currency, and how grindy the game will be has also not been commented on by the devs. Considering how close the game is to launch, it's fair to say they should have some idea. Their lack of transparency isn't helping. If it takes 800 hours to get an $8.50 cosmetic then I wouldn't say that "the burger is close to free" man. It is certain that they have been working incredibly hard at figuring out how to best get people to be separated from their money.

And regarding my 90% claim polonyc2, you're missing what I was saying. My statement is that at least 90% of people who are going to play a game like this are going to care about cosmetics. If cosmetics were "valueless" then they wouldn't be able to assign a value to them and have people pay for them. Absolutely the market is smaller in terms of whom is willing to pay and also at what cost. My argument was establishing first that cosmetics matter. polonyc2, you're arguing a different point.

Warframe is different...it's free to play so they depend on microtransactions more so then a big AAA game like Anthem

Precisely. A AAA game shouldn't require micro-transactions. If Anthem was FREE then having cosmetics that cost money, especially large amounts of money would be justified. It's not. EA expects that we'll pay $60 for a game. Then pay even more money for additional design assets that they will invariable make tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of percent off of. If their goal wasn't to simply milk money out of people, they'd allow people to make their own skins and mods for the game and skip all of this nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Precisely. A AAA game shouldn't require micro-transactions. If Anthem was FREE then having cosmetics that cost money, especially large amounts of money would be justified. It's not. EA expects that we'll pay $60 for a game. Then pay even more money for additional design assets that they will invariable make tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of percent off of. If their goal wasn't to simply milk money out of people, they'd allow people to make their own skins and mods for the game and skip all of this nonsense.

you're missing the point that all the microtransactions are completely optional...you can play the game for 5 hours or 500 hours and not pay a dime...cosmetics do matter but you can create some amazing custom javelins based on the in-game currency and pick-ups

you're missing the point that all the microtransactions are completely optional...you can play the game for 5 hours or 500 hours and not pay a dime...cosmetics do matter but you can create some amazing custom javelins based on the in-game currency and pick-ups

Did you not read the paragraph above that?

If it takes 10,000 hours to grind one item, that's not really equatable. People's time has value too. You can't say that items "are free" when they are behind a time wall just as much as if they are behind a pay wall. Rest assured, EA is going to make you want to pay.

EDIT: And in case you're too dense to understand the above paragraph, I'm using a technique called "hyperbole" aka exaggeration to get my point across.

Exactly this. And I hate to say it, the future of a lot of games will be microtransactions. The difference is will the game have them for cosmetics, or for pay to win?

If it's purely for cosmetics, who gives a fuck if they have microtransactions or not.

Did you not read the paragraph above that?

If it takes 10,000 hours to grind one item, that's not really equatable. People's time has value too. You can't say that items "are free" when they are behind a time wall just as much as if they are behind a pay wall. Rest assured, EA is going to make you want to pay.

an online shooter like Destiny or Anthem is designed to be played for years so the time factor is not a big issue...this is not a 'normal' single player game like Metro: Exodus...and it's not going to be 10,000 hours to grind...that's just the EA hating conspiracy buffs feeding the flames...same way that the early reports had the in-game transactions costing a lot more $$ then they actually ended up being

People's time has value too.

Exactly, which is why cosmetic microtransactions don't take away from peoples time playing the game. If they are into the game, they are more worried about loot and end game content, than what the fuck color their suit is.

Exactly this. And I hate to say it, the future of a lot of games will be microtransactions. The difference is will the game have them for cosmetics, or for pay to win?

If it's purely for cosmetics, who gives a fuck if they have microtransactions or not.

You're part of the problem. As you feed their bad behavior.

an online shooter like Destiny or Anthem is designed to be played for years so the time factor is not a big issue...this is not a 'normal' single player game like Metro: Exodus...and it's not going to be 10,000 hours to grind...that's just the EA hating conspiracy buffs feeding the flames

Their track record is proven. If you have to keep getting spanked to get it, that's on you. How many Battlefronts will it take?

Exactly, which is why cosmetic microtransactions don't take away from peoples time playing the game. If they are into the game, they are more worried about loot and end game content, than what the fuck color their suit is.

Their suit is content. In the endgame, the only difference between you and someone else WILL be how you look. If you don't believe me or understand that, then play World of Warcraft for a year. Every spec in every class will be the same with the same i level of gear.

YOU don't care about cosmetics. You're in the 10% that doesn't care. Great, this discussion doesn't concern you.

You're part of the problem. As you feed their bad behavior.

Their track record is proven. If you have to keep getting spanked to get it, that's on you. How many Battlefronts will it take?

Their suit is content. In the endgame, the only difference between you and someone else WILL be how you look. If you don't believe me or understand that, then play World of Warcraft for a year. Every spec in every class will be the same with the same i level of gear.

YOU don't care about cosmetics. You're in the 10% that doesn't care. Great, this discussion doesn't concern you.

more like 90% who don't care. The only people who care are the young kids who want to look better than the next guy. I am sorry your argument is lost on this one. No one gives a fuck about cosmetic microtransactions cept the kiddies, or the people who have money to burn. That is why Epic is making billions off of fortnite.

more like 90% who don't care. The only people who care are the young kids who want to look better than the next guy. I am sorry your argument is lost on this one. No one gives a fuck about cosmetic microtransactions cept the kiddies, or the people who have money to burn. That is why Epic is making billions off of fortnite.

Sooo... no one cares but for some reasons Epic is making billions off of fortnite? Do you think about what you're writing before you post?

Sooo.... no one cares but for some reason Warframe can exist as a game in the universe somewhere by only selling cosmetics and be successful? Because no one cares? Really?

We aren't even arguing theoreticals at that point. This is stuff you could make case studies out of. This is what EA and the rest of the devs want to emulate. This is the money they want to generate. And you think they're doing this stuff and putting in all this effort because no one cares?

Sooo... no one cares but for some reasons Epic is making billions off of fortnite? Do you think about what you're writing before you post?
Yap u are upset about cosmetic micro transactions when 89% of the people aren’t.

Yap u are upset about cosmetic micro transactions when 89% of the people aren’t.

You guys are the most amazing trolls of all time. But so we're clear. You guys are awesome at tag teaming. One guy makes one argument, and then the next guy creates the opposite argument. It's fun and completely inconsistent. My point that you quoted related to no one caring about cosmetics. And you quote and say no one cares about the cost of micro-transactions.

Both statements are false. But there are clearly different arguments for both because they are two different things.

EDIT: I realize you'll probably quote me without this edit, but people don't care about the cost of micro-transactions because that is how they are designed to be by a multi-billion dollar company. Their goal is to make it as easy as possible for you to give them money. In other words, people paying money into all of this stuff are the sheep. And they want to keep them dumb and milk all the money they can.
You don't care because that may not be you. But excuse me for caring about more than just myself.

Last edited:
is having a cooler looking javelin going to change the competitive balance of the game?...no...cosmetic items are an optional source of income for the publisher and an optional way for players to get more gear...no harm...don't blame EA for adding it to the game...blame the people buying it...

is having a cooler looking javelin going to change the competitive balance of the game?...no...cosmetic items are an optional source of income for the publisher and an optional way for players to get more gear...no harm...don't blame EA for adding it to the game...blame the people buying it...

So, now it's the consumers fault for wanting cool cosmetics, and they should be punished?

To be clear, our discussion so far:
First we started with no one cares.
Then, it doesn't affect anyone.
Now we're to, it's the consumers fault.

Heaven forbid anyone who pays $60 of hard earned money should expect to receive all the content a game has to offer. And also to be clear, this has also been addressed.
The bottom line issue is that you and Brackle don't care. But obviously with "Fortnite making billions" as you pointed out, more people care about cosmetics than either of you do. And forgive me for thinking people shouldn't be punished because they care.

Awesome, I get to use a single Sterling video to BTFO this argument whilst pissing off Auer at the same time. Win-Win!

Heaven forbid anyone who pays $60 of hard earned money should expect to receive all the content a game has to offer.

They are also conveniently overlooking the obfuscatory and predatory nature of the currency system as you can't just pay $8.50 for a skin, because you can't buy the exact quantity of in-game currency required. In reality that $8.50 skin really costs you $9.99 unless you are happy to keep feeding money into the Anthem microtransaction system and buying cosmetics until you hit the right combination to drain your balance to zero.

Other than some connection issues requiring my team to invite me/re invite the whole squad, it really is not that bad to play.

Anthem PC review-in-progress: a majestic world, expertly introduced

The scale and beauty of the world is complemented by the way in which you navigate it...the way you’re able to swoop mid-flight, cut your thrusters with a pop, and land your robo-suit with a pleasing thud just the right distance from an objective induces a sense of harmony that belongs on r/oddlysatisfying…I’m nowhere near a final verdict but it’s already impressive just how engaging Anthem has been, and in how many ways...that glimmer has become a gleam...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/anthem/pc-review-in-progress

Review in Progress: Anthem

BioWare is putting their worldbuilding skills to the test with Anthem and managed to captivate me for the first time in years (sorry, Andromeda)...Anthem's universe feels dangerous and stylish at the same time, a rare feat...environments are stunning, but gunplay and character movement look and feel fantastic in equal measure...Anthem ticks all of the right boxes...initially...the true test is how I feel in a week, or even a month...stay tuned as I work my way through the core campaign and continue to cover Anthem as it evolves...

https://www.destructoid.com/review-in-progress-anthem-542963.phtml

Back