BioWare's new IP: Anthem

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
whxoQqY.gif

In Anthem, a new game from EA's BioWare studio, explore a landscape of primeval beauty, confront the dangers you find, and grow in power with every step.

Official Website:
https://www.ea.com/games/anthem

IGN & GameSpot:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/10/e3-2017-bioware-reveals-new-project-anthem
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-biowares-new-ip-revealed-as-anthem-with-fi/1100-6450707/

E3 Trailer:

Last edited:
My comments are based on so little so far and I realize that:

Only teaser footage and all but I have to say I feel like I'm seeing a lot of different games in that.

I hope it's going to be good. It's going to be their "Destiny" attempt I guess.

I'm sorry that Mass Effect Andromeda suffered with mismanagement and the rest of it just for this???

5 years of development here? I guess we'll find out tomorrow with whatever gameplay footage they show.

Last edited:
Let's see if there's any gameplay video and if the PCs are ugly or not. Then we'll know if lesson was learned or no.

well, shit, I hope they are not going to do multiplayer with mechs, because, yeah, that has not worked well.

Polygon has more info.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/10/15776190/anthem-bioware-e3-2017

EA previously announced that Anthem will be an action-adventure title that will work as a “live service,” similar to how games like Destiny are run. The publisher also said in May that, although BioWare’s project was originally set to launch by the end of its current fiscal year, Anthem has since been delayed past March 2018. It will launch sometime during EA’s 2019 fiscal year.

teaser trailer looked really good...interesting world...little bit of a Horizon Zero Dawn vibe...I want to see BioWare return to their roots pre-EA...I want to believe...this and Bethesda's rumored sci-fi open world game have real potential

Thanks my interest just went from 50% to zero.

yeah I went from being really excited to not interested real fast...I'll still keep an eye on this to see if things change down the line but 'live service' game is not my cup of tea

Just what we need, another boring MMO grind.

This is my concern. It's like some fad hits and everyone has to get it out of their system.

Everyone tried to get their own World of Warcraft....it didn't work...and now I guess we have to do this.

I want to see BioWare return to their roots pre-EA...

Never happen. Long gone.

I want to believe...this and Bethesda's rumored sci-fi open world game have real potential

I have more realistic hopes for the Bethesda offering unless they, too, decide to have to get their Destiny/Division clone knock off out of the way, too.

I like those games for what they are. Don't get me wrong but I don't want to see the market overglutted with clones of said games at the expense of everything else.

Last edited:
Yeah, a little concerning those details. I immediately thought 'Destiny' when that teaser trailer was shown - and to hear that it would play similar to Destiny has me even more cautious. And Bioware's previous forays into multiplayer gaming have either felt tacked on and too simple (Mass Effect, Dragon Age) or very 'safe' and uninteresting (The Old Republic, though I haven't played it in years and heard it's gotten a lot better).

Hopefully there's enough info to make me excited for the game in today's MS conference. I'm hoping there's crossplay between Xbox and PC for this title, don't believe that's coming to Destiny, so if I'm going to have to grind through a game I'd at least like to do it with my kid.

They threw the Mass Effect franchise under a bus for this IP. Better be good!
It was probably EA who made them do that, and also EA who came up with the idea that they must make a destiny clone.

However I don't think Mass Effect is done for yet. Andromeda was more like the Tiberian Wars of the franchise. It's not really bad, but it's definitely not as good as it should / could have been.

I hope it doesn't end up like C&C dead and ruined after numerous changes in direction and cancelled attempts for revival.

It's funny how EA releases worse and worse games in once great franchises, and when the shit finally hits the fan they act like: "Fuck you gamers, no more * for you! " Blaming lack of interest in the franchise rather than the low quality.

*Insert franchise here

Last edited:
It looks great. Now we know for sure where the assets went and ME:A already looks dated compared to this footage.

The clear directive here was EA having "their Destiny." That's fine. I'll enjoy it.

It's just kind of strange that it went to Bioware. I guess this proves once and for all that really doesn't mean much any more.

seems like the BioWare A team is Edmonton...looks like the B team at Montreal were the ones working on Andromeda...

No question Bioware Edmonton is the A team.

To be fair Montreal did a hell of a job given all the obstacles that the development went through.

Looks like it's trying really hard to be something like Destiny and with the stupid fake co-op "chatter" that we saw in the Division trailers. We all know how that turned out...

Looks like it's trying really hard to be something like Destiny and with the stupid fake co-op "chatter" that we saw in the Division trailers. We all know how that turned out...

How many of these games do we need?

I guess we have to get this fad out of the way next. I hope it's good. It likely will be.

For me it's just puzzling that Bioware Edmonton was assigned a project like this under that huge EA umbrella.

Since this is Bioware I am hoping there's a strong story and strong characters in this to put it over the top.

The entire E3 reveal smelled of The Division. Hope I am wrong, I am a sucker for coop games.

feel much better about it, knowing they are NOT doing some mech thing :)

Last edited:
The entire E3 reveal smelled of The Division. Hope I am wrong, I am a sucker for coop games.

This really wouldn't bother me. The Division had potential, didn't meet it entirely, but if there was a Dev house that could fix the areas it was lacking in, BioWare would probably be it. I'm concerned at what caused Casey Hudson to leave, especially given their last couple games, but I've yet to see a Destiny / Division style game get everything right, so I'll suffer one more attempt.

This really wouldn't bother me. The Division had potential, didn't meet it entirely, but if there was a Dev house that could fix the areas it was lacking in, BioWare would probably be it. I'm concerned at what caused Casey Hudson to leave, especially given their last couple games, but I've yet to see a Destiny / Division style game get everything right, so I'll suffer one more attempt.

Right. Just like MMOs, everyone has to get this out of their system.

If Bioware can bring that kind of game out and add their usual strong characters and a strong story to it, which the first Destiny and Division miserably failed on...this could be something.

I'd argue that post-Taken King, and especially Rise of Iron, Destiny gets the whole Destiny thing right. At least for the most part. There is a lot of room for improvement that I could see a company like Bioware expanding on but, my big worry about Bioware taking on that idea is gameplay. Bioware has never been strong in the gameplay department and the gameplay loop is something both Destiny and the Division do understand. The Division falls apart quicker due to the grind being bad and too many enemies being massive bullet sponges, but the devs still understood how to make weapons fun. ME: A is the best gameplay from a Bioware game, but even that is nowhere near where a game like this will have to be.

I'd argue that post-Taken King, and especially Rise of Iron, Destiny gets the whole Destiny thing right. At least for the most part. There is a lot of room for improvement that I could see a company like Bioware expanding on but, my big worry about Bioware taking on that idea is gameplay. Bioware has never been strong in the gameplay department and the gameplay loop is something both Destiny and the Division do understand. The Division falls apart quicker due to the grind being bad and too many enemies being massive bullet sponges, but the devs still understood how to make weapons fun. ME: A is the best gameplay from a Bioware game, but even that is nowhere near where a game like this will have to be.

Well, valid points all. I didn't play Destiny because I only MP / CO-OP on PC (I suck with a controller), but a lot of the reviews complained about the same basic things, including lack of SP and/or story. Maybe it's just my underlying desire to see a good story infused Borderlands step child, but I'm still hoping for a better experience than it or Division... though I enjoyed both of those games.

As others have said it looks like Destiny but it also seems to mix some Crysis in there as well.

I'm not super interested as they say open world but all they really showed us was a very closed in canyon area making it seem fairly restrictive.

Well, valid points all. I didn't play Destiny because I only MP / CO-OP on PC (I suck with a controller), but a lot of the reviews complained about the same basic things, including lack of SP and/or story. Maybe it's just my underlying desire to see a good story infused Borderlands step child, but I'm still hoping for a better experience than it or Division... though I enjoyed both of those games.

Yeah, Destiny's main game severely lacked SP content or story stuff. They tried added some narrative stuff for the House of Wolves expansion, but it was weak. For Taken King they really dug into story stuff, expanding lore, giving characters personality, and so on. Rise of Iron was a bit weaker on the story front, but still had some neat stuff.

Right. Just like MMOs, everyone has to get this out of their system.

If Bioware can bring that kind of game out and add their usual strong characters and a strong story to it, which the first Destiny and Division miserably failed on...this could be something.

"Their usual strong characters"... Have you missed the last few Bioware games :p

So I can easily say all the previous Mass Effect people are now working on Anthem. The FIRST fucking person to talk to the camera looks better then any model/facial animation in Andromeda.....Sad but I think its true.

So I can easily say all the previous Mass Effect people are now working on Anthem. The FIRST fucking person to talk to the camera looks better then any model/facial animation in Andromeda.....Sad but I think its true.
Yes it is true, but why is that sad? I shall hope a game coming out a year from now will look better.

The graphics are spectacular, but I don't trust EA or Bioware to actually fully deliver on these visual representations, and more importantly it is the type of game I suspected it would be, i.e. a Destiny clone. The scripted banter is so hamfisted and contrived that, as others have observed, it already smells a like The Division in terms of the devs trying to sell the co-op interactions as a substitute for a compelling narrative driven game.

Maybe I'm naive or just still easily taken by a good looking enticing sci-fi game but dam that looks awesome to me.

I'm too pissed at EA/Bioware over Mass Effect Andromeda to even want to consider anything from them at this point.

I don't consider E3 trailers to be much of anything other than an attempt to sell preorders.
Well the "BioWare" that made ME:A isn't really the BioWare.

This could be interesting if it has decent story. If not... I think it probably gets boring rather quickly.

I'll admit the trailer looked pretty good (IF it's real gameplay) BUT the faces are still fugly and I've never liked games that I have to "rent"

If and when the company decides to pull the plug on the servers, I'm out 40-50 bucks since I can no longer play it. It doesn't matter if you buy and like it if the majority of the people have either decided not to buy it or if you bought it late and most have already played it and moved on (and EA has taken the servers offline).

Back