Biostar Tforce overclocking stories??

yeah, ive had the cpu multi down to 6x

memory def isnt the problem b/c ive run a 15loops of all 10 memtest tests with zero errors, plus i had the mem divide at 133 when i was trying to find the max fsb

liek i said, im very pleased with the OC for raw score, but i just dont think 1.65v/50C is safe for operaing this CPU, so i wanted to get the fsb up higher so i could try woth 9x multi and see if ic ould geta comperable OC with lower voltage. At this point, im going to have to lower my OC to get things down to a safe voltage/temp

Ok, so the skt 754 3700+ DTR booted up just fine. It shows up as a 3700+ at post, but the voltage setting is set to 1.1v

I changed the vcore to 1.5v and set the clockspeed to 12x200fsb

I'm about to install windows right now. I noticed that if you do a restart, the screen stays blank and you have to physically turn off the computer and turn it back on. This is the only issue im having right now. I think this can be fixed with a bios flash.

My temps are good right now as well. 33c on custom water cooling.

Hello fellas!

I've read almost the entire thread, tried all the little changes and I still cant get my board over 265 MHz. I run it at 255 so that I dont overjuice the cpu.

3200+ (good for 2900 MHz on a DFI board)
602 beta bios
gskill ddr600 (good for 310 [email protected])

I've lowered all multipliers, and I still cant find any switch whatsoever to get past 265. Nothing I do seem to matter. I was suspecting the bios had a faulty HT ratio settings so that 3x still would be 4-5x in reality so I tried the other bioses (b02) with the same result 265 MHz.

The board is a TForce6100-939 Ver 1.0 A01

Any ideas?

/Michaek

well here is my story.
I got this board last week...yay, its in a Qpack and I got a 3000+ Venice week 17 05 E3.

Cooling is Zalman 7000 LED and I also have a nice Xclio 430watt psu. I replaced the crappy stock one.

I can do 290mhz no problem @ 1.55v setting which actually puts me at 1.5v
@ 2600mhz it idles 33c and load temp of 47C Prime95
I am running the latest BIOS that is from biostar dated 6.7.06

The wierd thing is, this board gets unstable if I put the Vcore to say 1.65v or even 1.7v which 1.7v is only like 1.6v on the cpu. but at a BIOS setting of 1.7v windows starts BSOD'ing and my temps dont even go up much!!
I dont get it - Im not even changing the clock speeds at all lol.
So all in all, just raising the Vcore seems to make the board crap out.
I know this cpu can do 2700mhz @ 1.6v also.....hrm.....

any ideas?

GenTarkin said:
well here is my story.
I got this board last week...yay, its in a Qpack and I got a 3000+ Venice week 17 05 E3.

Cooling is Zalman 7000 LED and I also have a nice Xclio 430watt psu. I replaced the crappy stock one.

I can do 290mhz no problem @ 1.55v setting which actually puts me at 1.5v
@ 2600mhz it idles 33c and load temp of 47C Prime95
I am running the latest BIOS that is from biostar dated 6.7.06

The wierd thing is, this board gets unstable if I put the Vcore to say 1.65v or even 1.7v which 1.7v is only like 1.6v on the cpu. but at a BIOS setting of 1.7v windows starts BSOD'ing and my temps dont even go up much!!
I dont get it - Im not even changing the clock speeds at all lol.
So all in all, just raising the Vcore seems to make the board crap out.
I know this cpu can do 2700mhz @ 1.6v also.....hrm.....

any ideas?
I would almost suspect an overheating chipset since vcore doesn't help... what is your HTT set to? I replaced both chipset heatsinks on mine, but am not really sure how much it affected my overclock since I still can't get up much past 2.9ghz. I stay at 2.8 for the temps...

Picture952.jpg

Picture937.jpg

I have tried 3x and 4x and yes I have changed all 3 settings simultaneously in the 2 different menus.
Still same result, PC gets more unstable simply by upping the Vcore....*even tho my CPU temperatures are perfectly fine.

hehe nice setup man, I got the same one. almost 7000ALCU LED, and the VF700ALCU LED for vid card (7600GT) =)

think any of the zalman passive chipset heatsinks would work good on this board?

MD_Willington said:
Polygon at RHCF has been testing one...

Also several versions of modified bios for the boards...

MD

Modded BIOS for the AM2 boards? OMG WHERE! I need one so bad, the stock memory config options suck balls. Heres mine so far:

am2-1.jpg

am2oc.JPG

GenTarkin said:
Still same result, PC gets more unstable simply by upping the Vcore....*even tho my CPU temperatures are perfectly fine.[
Guys I figured out that the Biostar underreports the temperatures by so much (probably at least 10°), that you can be running into a temp barrier and not even realize it. :(

The other thing you may want to check, if vcore adds to instability, is your power supply.

Dillusion said:
Modded BIOS for the AM2 boards? OMG WHERE! I need one so bad, the stock memory config options suck balls.
Have you tried A64Info, D? It is like Tweaker, but is stable and offers the same boot on startup option. v1.5 had a better layout - it included CPU-Z info and mem tweaking all on one page. Very nifty program.

I dont know how it could be my PSU....the XClio 450watt or 430 watt whatever it is, is being said as one of the best PSU's out there right now, amazing for its price...right up there with the performance of all the high end PSU's

Hello, Mike here again... I just have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I recently tried the Biostar OC utility and what a difference compared to the bios. Before I hit the wall at 260 MHz regardless of HTT/CPU multiplier and voltage. Now I got over 330 MHz with 7x on the cpu.

Can anyone explain why is that? Is the bios so extremely picky with the safe mode? Is it possible to turn it off? Is it the watch dog that resets the settings all the time?

I guess all of you getting past 260 MHz are using the OC utility, right?

Have you guys noticed the CPU-Z reports other speeds than the actual ones. If I run 5x200=1000 MHz for example then CPU-Z reports HTT of 400 MHz, multiplied with 5 to get 2000 MHz.

If the system reboots while doing a prime burn without any errors, does that mean the PSU is weak?

/M

That is a good point, how many people in here are actually overclocking through the BIOS and how many are using an overclock utility? It would be nice to put a user-pole up to see actual figures...

Any input??

Alright guys some more results from my board.
I was pissed and decided to give the stock january bios a shot again...well guess what the anything @ 1.65v setting and up is really unstable in windows...at the same exact clocks that it was at when it was at 1.55v...SO here is what I figured I would try next....

I left it at 1.65v which puts my reported CPU voltage 1.52v and I Think its really 1.54v ish from the guy at rebels hardware site that did the voltmeter checks on it.
NOW normally at the setting of 290mhz htt clock...these higher voltages would cause my windows to random reboot.
What I am working on now is setting it to stock 200mhz htt in bios and then using ClockGen for NF4 to drive up the speed....SO FAR, @ 290mhz its stable as all hell even with the 1.65v setting I was having problems with earlier.
NOW I backed down the multi in windows to 8x and I want to see how far the HTT on this board will go...so far its stable at 307mhz HTT!!

I am running prime 95 through all of this and another note when I had the bios @ 290mhz 1.65v I would not have to be putting stress on the system or anything and it would BSOD...
that hasnt happened yet with setting it to 290mhz in windows....
So thus far I will have to say the bios does some quircky shit when overvolting higher and setting it to higher bus speeds.
I will report back with any instabilities I encounter ...hopefully there wont be none and this will prove to be correct.

aLcATRAZ said:
I recently tried the Biostar OC utility and what a difference compared to the bios. Before I hit the wall at 260 MHz regardless of HTT/CPU multiplier and voltage. Now I got over 330 MHz with 7x on the cpu.

Can anyone explain why is that? Is the bios so extremely picky with the safe mode? Is it possible to turn it off? Is it the watch dog that resets the settings all the time?
Yes, it is a bios issue. Some guys had problems with certain boards at around that speed, I can take my newer boards up to 290-295 before they crap out via the bios, but they do 315fsb with the utility! Shadowmage on EOCF was saying his board could do 360+ on the MA20 bios. My rev 1.0 board does not even work with the utility.

So it's a crapshoot, but at higher fsb, stick with clockgen. The utility is kind of cool looking, but the speed it sets your CPU at is like a shotgun approach at whatever you set it to, so it can end up above or below that, which is not good. It also sucks up ~5MB of memory, which hurts performance.

Well Im back, and I stepped it up...Im now testing 1.7v bios setting which is 1.6v actual....once again booted up at stock 200mhz and now have it clocked 2.62ghz (292ish htt) =) through ClockGen within windows....windows is not showing any instability whatsoever like it did when I had the bus speed set high in BIOS.
So, I do believe this bios does some weird stuff when volting higher and booting up at higher bus speeds. Cuz, I know it cant be PSU...these things are awesome according to everyone =)
I will report back if anything weird happens, but so far nothing has. Been an hour now.

Thanks for the great replies fellas.

The only issue now is that I was gonna run linux on this box. (Large game server).

Is there any way to adjust the fsb with linux?

EDIT: Forgot to ask.. How do you run the RAM at the same speed as the FSB? This board does not seem to have dividers, only different clocks for ram and fsb? And the manual setting goes to 250 MHz. Problem is, I got 310 MHz worth of ram. How do I utilize that?

/Mike

sleepeeg3 said:
My rev 1.0 board does not even work with the utility.

I have a 1.0 board A01 and the utility seems to work fine. At first I thought the FSB didnt go higher than 285 MHz since CPU-Z did not go higher and I was playing around OC at 310 MHz. It seemed to good to be true so I thought it wouldnt make a difference if I went up to like 400 MHz but it did. The OS locked up at around 334-336 so it seems that CPU-Z is crap and OC Utility works.

I'm gonna check it again with clockgen because I don't know which utility is telling the truth. /M

well...I think I found my boards max HTT...
I booted up into windows, then adjusted my multi to 8x and my memory to 150 which put them both way below I know what they can do...
Then started cranking up the HTT..seems as my board BSOD's right at 320mhz instantly and 312mhz is where it starts becoming unstable as time goes by in windows.
I think it sits comfortably right at around 309mhz HTT.
So, I just gotta make sure my next cpu has 10x or 11x multi and Ill be good to go =)

Too bad the limit is so low, and who knows it may just be my cpu or something not playing nice in the current set up.

I wonder if putting a better cooler on the NB will allow me to get higher HTT clocks...what are the general results of this as discovered by you guyz.

Thanks

Smoove910 said:
That is a good point, how many people in here are actually overclocking through the BIOS and how many are using an overclock utility? It would be nice to put a user-pole up to see actual figures...

Any input??
Don't use the oc utility....only use the bios!

GenTarkin said:
I wonder if putting a better cooler on the NB will allow me to get higher HTT clocks...what are the general results of this as discovered by you guyz.

Thanks
Replacing mine changed nothing. I still maxed at 2.9ghz @ 1.55vcore (all set in the BIOS of course).

I'm having trouble getting anything that I set in BIOS to take. I set HTT to 230 and multi to 10, and when I boot into Linux it shows I'm set to 2ghz. What gives?

dragonorta said:
I'm having trouble getting anything that I set in BIOS to take. I set HTT to 230 and multi to 10, and when I boot into Linux it shows I'm set to 2ghz. What gives?
Could be the safe boot function from the BIOS. If it sits there and has unstable settings, it'll re-boot with default settings, which is probably equalling 2.0ghz in your scenario.

How do I disable safe boot? I bought the mobo as Open Box from Newegg and on got one of the manuals

dragonorta said:

well I noticed the same thing when I used Fedora core, it seems a lot of distro's of linux have a CPU driver that resets the CPU to its default clocks at some point during the OS's boot cycle. I think for me it was the CnQ part of the driver was kicking in....in linux.
I got around it by simply removing the linux service that had to do with like cpuclk or something like that.

It must have been the Safe Boot. It shows it running at 2.3ghz now that I fiddled with some stuff and disabled CnQ in BIOS.

it was the CnQ =) at least in my case it was....and on my other system I had no way to shut it off in BIOS had to do what I said above with that linux service.

sleepeeg3 said:
Guys I figured out that the Biostar underreports the temperatures by so much (probably at least 10°), that you can be running into a temp barrier and not even realize it. :(

What are the temperature units (Celsius or Fahrenheit) associated with that observation? And would you please give full details about how you came to this conclusion?

Given the importance of your statement, it would make a great deal of sense to have your methodology peer reviewed by other forum members. In fact, IMHO, that statement and the ensuing discussion deserves its own thread since, if verified to be correct, it figuratively equates to a bombshell - especially if the units pertaining to your statement turn out to be Celsius.

Please interpret my questions and statements as coming purely from a "scientific inquiry" perspective with no intent of questioning your expertise or integrity.

The bios is FSB limited. Don't use the OC utility use the best like clockgen. Now you can save all your great settings on Clockgen in a OC after restart and start up with the OCed settings you got on and only can get on clockgen with. This is very nice, no more bios limitations.

Serge84 said:
Please show me a link. Can't get to the bios section.
http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=53

Also check out the latest bios and enabling [font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nvdia Purevideo[/font]

MD_Willington said:
http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=53

Also check out the latest bios and enabling [font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nvdia Purevideo[/font]

Cool, just wish we had some half multiplyers to work with. Strange my A64 can work at 2.7ghz without 1.65v anymore. It can at 1.5v Wish there was a 1.55v and 1.6v setting so I could run it at 1.55v to get 2.8Ghz. But it seems my cpu doesn't like volts over 1.7v anymore. Just was messing with the volts and stumbled on something intresting.

It works better at lower volts wile keeping the same speed just about. I could never get 2.7ghz at 1.5v before months ago. The decrese in volts would help temps abit. Seems like using high enough volts 24/7 has abit of a advantage. I just really need to get a big heatsink fan like a ZALMAN CNPS 9500 or something once and for all. To help these temps that limit my speed.

Serge84 said:
Cool, just wish we had some half multiplyers to work with. Strange my A64 can work at 2.7ghz without 1.65v anymore. It can at 1.5v Wish there was a 1.55v and 1.6v setting so I could run it at 1.55v to get 2.8Ghz. But it seems my cpu doesn't like volts over 1.7v anymore. Just was messing with the volts and stumbled on something intresting.

It works better at lower volts wile keeping the same speed just about. I could never get 2.7ghz at 1.5v before months ago. The decrese in volts would help temps abit. Seems like using high enough volts 24/7 has abit of a advantage. I just really need to get a big heatsink fan like a ZALMAN CNPS 9500 or something once and for all. To help these temps that limit my speed.
Try the modded bios there, I believ Polygon may have added some 1/2 multipliers.. just check the revision notes, another poster modified the bios even further, overclocks the onboard video IIRC etc etc...

MD_Willington said:
Try the modded bios there, I believ Polygon may have added some 1/2 multipliers.. just check the revision notes, another poster modified the bios even further, overclocks the onboard video IIRC etc etc...

Well I aready put the new ver of bios 602 in it. Did he mod the bios for E5 support too? LT chips would be kick ass. Anyways no 1/2 multipliers for the cpu only HTT link. I have the S754 ver so I got to wait for him to make one for my mobo. Will be cool to have all that extra stuff.

I just ordered a tforce6100-AM2 mobo with a chipset cooler, with a X2 3800+, ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2, and F2-6400PHU2-1GBHZ G.SKILL DDR2 800 2 x 512mb. So I'll see what I can do with that in a few days. :D

Just to let you guys know, another fella over at RHCF has added a new set of bios that update the onboard videocards frimware and overclock the onboard video.. That was also part of enabling pure video...

Hmph, the Tforce6100 AM2 has a heatsink slot over the voltage regulators. Where would you buy one that would fit that? Also a perelel port upgrade. Don't need onboard since I got a video card.

Don't have the cpu and fan yet. Get it tomarrow. Also bought a new 16mb L ver raptor. That will be nice and fast. Ohh single sided memory. Goood for OCing.

Back