Biostar TA790GX A2+ Install

Zoogle

Gawd
I will finally be getting around to putting together this rig this afternoon. Will be posting up pictures as well as any technical issues or comments I have in case any of you guys are considering this board. Hopefully all will go well.

The parts:
MB: Biostar TA790GX A2+
CPU: AMD BE-2400 (2.3GHz, 2x512K cache)
HSF: Xigmatek HDT-SI1283
RAM: OCZ SLI-ready edition 2x2GB DDR2-800
GFX: eVGA 8800GT
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W or NeoHE 430W (depends which one works better in my case)
Case: Antec P180B

- mmm...mixing nvidia w/ amd/ati...

I just installed this board last night for a friend, not a single hiccup!

Put a 5400+ black edition cpu in it, booted right up and also right away overclocked it to 3.1, very smooth.

Excellent board in my opinion!

I just installed this board with a 5000+ and 2GB of DDR2 800 GSkill.

It's nice, except that I have a problem where every time I cold boot, the video is corrupted. I can immediately hit reset and the corruption is gone. Also, when in XP, the screen will randomly go black for a few seconds at a time. I upgraded to the Catalyst 8.8 drivers that include the chipset drivers, but I still have the problem.

I think the problem is that I'm using system memory and sideport memory with the 3300 IGP, but not using the sideport memory would be a waste.

I do like how they have memtest86 built in to the BIOS. It's pretty sweet being able to test your RAM without having to worry about a boot disk.

Also, Biostar doesn't have any BIOS files for download on the US site. I hope they address this issue with a BIOS update soon.

Yeah, I picked up a few BIOSes off their Chinese site. I did the same w/ my old Biostar board and to my knowledge, they don't function any differently (not like the settings are in Chinese...)

To the poster above:
You should probably just stick w/ either UMA or Sideport instead of the combination. I'll probably set it to UMA since it's been posted on rebel's haven that the board OCs much better with it on UMA (for whatever reason).

it's a great built
maybe later upgrade to a phenom 9850 when they are cheaper.

Might want to put a heatsink on those mosfets if you are running a high watt CPU. Rebelshaven has a pic of a slice of old CPU heatsink for cooling.
http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=45&t=000148
I could not get the XXX bios to read last night with AFUDOS.exe. Anyone else have that problem? So far got the 9850 to 2.8 stable.
Edit: Just found it. Have to rename the file to.rom or .bin. Thought so.

After a nightmare of trying to find a floppy drive that would work, I just used the Biostar utility in Vista with the stock updated BIOS 78DBA807.bst. 2degrees cooler at 2.8 Ghz under load. ACC enabled, OCZ Reaper set to 1066 in Bios 5-5-5-18. Voltage adjustments are better with.1 increments with this bios.

Yeah, butI didn't want to hassle with it after digging through all the old parts. I realised that I had the original Bios from July, so updating was necessary. The xxx bios only has some minor changes

Bump and question. My ACC is still greyed out in AOD. Anyone get it enabled and the settings if so?

Gosh, finally got it put together. Installing and doing the cable management inside the P180 was a real hassle ><. At least I hope to be rewarded with good airflow and acoustics.

First thing I did on the install was pull off the NB and SB heatsinks and replace that nasty pink sticky tack feeling thermal compound with some AS Ceramique.

This was the first time I dealt w/ a 120mm cooler so I was really surprised at how HUGE it was. It blocked easy access to DIMM 1 and 2 but I hope this won't be an issue. Memtest found no issues w/ the OCZs.

AHCI mode.... where do I begin. I installed the first time around with it enabled in BIOS, no problems. Once I installed the SATA driver from the CD and restarted, Vista refused to boot. I set it back to "native IDE" and reinstalled. I don't really care about NCQ but I like the hotswap feature. SB750 obviously still has some glitches to work out here.

I'll be loading up the 807 BIOS soon and seeing how that goes.

No problems with the BIOS load. Seems to have a lot more features in it that I'll explore tomorrow. Importantly, can anyone link me to the chipset drivers????? I can't find them on the AMD website (no mention of HD3300). Also, any ideas on that AHCI problem would be great. I tried the registry edit as per Microsoft instructions but that seems to do nothing. Guess I'm SOL right now for hotswapping.

I installed legacy IDE, installed the 8.8 Cat IGP/chipset drivers, Windows update, reboot check update again and thenplayed with the setting to get full AHCI. The drivers are under Motherboard/IGP drivers. Usually the 3rd one down depending on the OS.
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
You think you have it bad with the PC 6400. I have the Reapers and had to use slot3-4. Currently running 2.9 Ghz at 1.3125 core, but I need to do a bump to 1.325. Failed boot running hot. Moving to 15 multi to get an even 3.0Ghz. Probably need to get a couple of Yate Loon 120 mm fans. Made a mosfet heatsink 3.25" that I will need to attach. No ceramique only AS5. Means removing the board and doing the final setup. Teak from there.
Edit: If not Yate Loon, can anyone recommend some good high output 120mm fans?

Jesus, ACC really works! Brought my temps down 4 degrees at 3Ghz 1.325V all cores. ACC at 4% in Bios. Percentage is just under ACC in CPU configuration, I think. Too stoked at 3G now!
Edit: It looks like you have to use the BIOS for your settings and AOD for testing. Saving a setting in AOD disables ACC in the BIOS, I think, and lets AOD manage the settings. Better off, although I've had to double boot to post sometimes.

AHCI works fine for me, I've had it enabled in BIOS from day one and the latest motherboard drivers gigaxtreme linked above will install the windows AHCI driver as well. Make sure you are using Vista SP1, I think they resolved some AHCI issues in SP1.

Old Pueblo, Care to share any OC/ACC experiences on the Gigabyte board?

I honestly haven't had much time, though I was planning on trying again tonight. Stress testing takes time sadly. :( I did hit 3Ghz pretty easy right off the bat, and I'll keep poking higher as time permits.

Funny issue, Vista seems to have the impression that this computer is a laptop. Apparently it detected a touchpad (nonexistent) and thinks I have a battery powering the computer....

Is there any other benefit to AHCI other than NCQ and hotswap? If there isn't, I think I'll just live without it. Have to slipstream SP1 onto Vista install in the meantime.

Funny issue, Vista seems to have the impression that this computer is a laptop. Apparently it detected a touchpad (nonexistent) and thinks I have a battery powering the computer....

Is there any other benefit to AHCI other than NCQ and hotswap? If there isn't, I think I'll just live without it. Have to slipstream SP1 onto Vista install in the meantime.

That's the only real benefit that I'm aware of. In case you're looking for a method, you can use vlite to slipstream SP1 without messing with anything else. You'll have to download the MS WAIK component though I think there's a smaller version you can get in their forums.

Is there a part of the instal that asks what kind of system
VISTA is going to be installed on...?

I haven't installed VISTA myself as yet but it came pre- installed
on my laptop and I swear it reminds me of Windows 98SE (A LOT)
and when installing 98SE it gives you a choice of Desktop, Portable,
etc...

Could you have selected Portable or Laptop by mistake while
installing...?

(That's assuming this option is given in VISTA during the instal... ;) )

Nope. I don't recall being presented with any options for system type. I have the computer connected to a UPS so that may explain the battery thing. In any case, power saving features that Windows has given me b/c it thinks I'm using a laptop are nice. It spins down my secondary HD for me when I'm not using it by default.

The board has been great so far. NB and SB are warm but not hot. Performance seems good. Haven't had much time to toy around with BIOS settings since I've been focused on getting everything installed...

What do you guys use for your temperature monitoring prog on this board? I can't distinguish which temp is the system temp and which temp is the CPU temp on Speedfan...

HWMonitor from cpuid also works fine if you want a smaller program. AOD really needs to condense and get rid of the marketing junk that makes it a huge window.

AOD gives me 0 degrees...I wish hahah. Going to try HWMonitor.

EDIT: Lulz again. HWMonitor tells me 13 and 16 deg C for my two cores. ACPI says 26 deg. TMPIN0 says 47 deg. TMPIN1 says 36 deg. TMPIN2 says 26 deg.

I've found that opening AOD and upon closing it by clicking OK or saving settings. ACC becomes disabled in the BIOS. I guess this is just the software taking over and only OCing in Windows.

I've found that opening AOD and upon closing it by clicking OK or saving settings. ACC becomes disabled in the BIOS. I guess this is just the software taking over and only OCing in Windows.

This sounds like it could be an advantage...

Using AOD to "Test" the O'clock and then if it goes bad no worries,
as it will revert back to known good settings and let you reboot...

Once you establish a stable O'clock you can then make perminent
settings in BIOS...

Or am I wrong thinking here...? :confused:

Edit:
Never mind (D'uh) you're saying ACC becomes disabled...

(I was wrong thinking... :p )

This sounds like it could be an advantage...

Using AOD to "Test" the O'clock and then if it goes bad no worries,
as it will revert back to known good settings and let you reboot...

Once you establish a stable O'clock you can then make perminent
settings in BIOS...

Or am I wrong thinking here...? :confused:

That's exactly the way I'd like to use AOD. Rebooting all day long testing settings really gets annoying, clockgen spoiled me. :p

Just use the cancel button. Bios doesn't change. ACC still greyed out in Windows disabled, auto, etc. in the BIOS. This needs to be fixed. Soon.
Edit: So far to 3Ghz 15x200 1.35V core 33-35 idle,48-49 load +6 ACC in Bios. Going to 3.1 now.

I think I'll stop at 3.2Ghz 1.375V core 16x200 34-37 degrees idle 49-53 load. Need to lap the Xigmatek 1283S. Would like to overvolt the fan to get more airflow,LOL. Problem is changing it is you have those rubber fasteners and they might break removing them, so you're screwed...without Vaseline..............
Wait!.......
I found some Vaseline!.......
Get your minds out of the gutter guys. You put the Vaseline on the rubber fasteners and pull them through. Sheesh!

Nice temps even though with that clock, gigaxtreme1...

Before this chipset I'd have never dreamed a Phenom
could hope for this kind of performance... :cool:

Nice temps even though with that clock, gigaxtreme1...

Before this chipset I'd have never dreamed a Phenom
could hope for this kind of performance... :cool:

Yea I cant wait to get ahold of a new AMD mobo myself.

Noticed you has a 6400+ as well, Read on a few forums that people getting 3.6ghz on a 6400+ be...

Guess we can only hope :) (although Kyle got those FSB numbers and I pooped my pants)

Had to clear CMOS and start over. Got a big discrepancy. AOD reports coreV what I set in the BIOS, but cpuz and hardware health/monitor in the BIOS report.07V over what I set in the bios. Weird.

Yeah, I got some funky stuff going on too. From what I've been told, CnQ isn't supposed to change the voltage when it changes multipliers but my voltages go from 1.185 to 1.25. This is as reported by speedfan and hwmonitor.

Yeah, I got some funky stuff going on too. From what I've been told, CnQ isn't supposed to change the voltage when it changes multipliers but my voltages go from 1.185 to 1.25. This is as reported by speedfan and hwmonitor.

C&Q will drop the voltage, I believe they added that with the latest implementation of it and it does that on mine as well (though I don't have it turned on).

How does this board compare to the Foxconn A7DA-S?

It's really down to deciding between the Foxconn and the Biostar boards, I had noticed the Rebel's Haven link...Just wondering which one might perform better with a regular X2 (non phenom) cpu...And still be able to run the better cpus once they start getting faster.

I think that between the Foxconn and this, it's down to an issue of whether you want the overclock more or whether you want the US tech support and US BIOS releases. At stock performance, there might be some small differences that show up on benchmarks, but I doubt it would be anything you would notice in real life.

Biostar releases BIOSes often, but often intended for their Chinese distributions (not that there's a big difference). AFAIK, Biostar doesn't have a real tech support center here in the US. But who needs tech support when you've got [H] :D.

I really want this board also..but is it true..that the Main PCI-e Slot is the lower of the two?

can they be switched to where the top one can run at 16X instead?

I really want to use my 4870 with this MB and a Xfi..but I dont think both will fit on the lower part of the MB.

I really want this board also..but is it true..that the Main PCI-e Slot is the lower of the two?

can they be switched to where the top one can run at 16X instead?

I really want to use my 4870 with this MB and a Xfi..but I dont think both will fit on the lower part of the MB.

I think you're right about the lower slot being faster. I noticed in windows in the ATI control panel that it read as 8x, so i assume the top slot is the slow one.

I found out where the CPU discrepancy comes from. In the T series section of the BIOS there are 2 settings, CPUVID, where you can set custom P states, and the Voltage configuration, where you set CPU overvolt. The 2 voltage additions are added together, but AOD only recognises the CPUVID. Also AOD has the temps wrong too. 6 degree difference. Hoping for a BIOS update that doesn't FUBAR everything.
Edit. For the above posts, you could try the paddle card in the bottom slot with the 4870 in the top to see if it forces x16 on the slave slot. Couldn't hurt, maybe.:rolleyes:

You could always try just using the video card in each slot and see if you notice the difference in bandwidth. Realistically, the 4870 should be fine w/ the X-Fi under it since the fan intake extends beyond the X-Fi's length and the card supposedly exhausts out to behind the case. 4870 is a double slot card and there are two open PCI slots under the bottom PCI-Express slot.

A general note about this motherboard, I only counted 3 fan headers while putting my stuff together. One 4-pin PWM and two 3-pin's. My case fans all use molex and run separate fan controllers so this is not an issue for me but it may be for some of you prospective buyers.

A general note about this motherboard, I only counted 3 fan headers while putting my stuff together. One 4-pin PWM and two 3-pin's. My case fans all use molex and run separate fan controllers so this is not an issue for me but it may be for some of you prospective buyers.

This is why I love the Antec fans, they come with a 4 pin power plug, 3 pin power plug, and you get a high/medium/low switch right on the fan (these are 120mm, not sure about the other sizes). It's all the flexibility you need. :D

Back