Biostar reliability?

dgingeri

2[H]4U
Back when I was first starting to order parts from the internet, I had a few horrible experiences with Biostar and ECS, to the point of swearing off ever buying any products from them again. I know ECS is still as horrible as they used to be, but I haven't heard a whole lot from Biostar. Are they still as unreliable as they used to be, or have they improved? Has their service improved? I know they are actively responding to bad reviews on Amazon and Newegg, so that shows they actually care somewhat about their image. (ECS sure isn't concerned about their image.)

Newegg has a Biostar A75 board up for Shell Shocker for only $55 today. It has a 4 egg feedback rating, which is better than some of my favorite manufacturer's boards. I was thinking I could pair it up with a Trinity based A4 and my GT430 card to reduce power consumption from my old Core 2 E6600 HTPC. Would it be advisable to get this board?

I've heard good things about them in the past few years and that they have improved quite a bit from what they have used to be. (Quality wise)

Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and get it. It seems like a useful board.

For AMD Builds I use almost exclusively Biostar boards. I've had very good luck with them over the years. I admit, the quality of the plastics on the board are not as strong and solid like you would find on a Gigabyte or Asus board. However every Biostar board i've purchased worked and all the supported features worked fine. I like minimalistic motherboards the best, i'd rather not have stuff on my board that I would never use anyways like ESATA, optical audio out, 2 serial ports ect.

Biostar got a LOT better through the years. Remember, even eVGA started as a lowest of the low end, eBay only company.

biostar has got better over the years..they produce decent boards with a lot for the money...i have bought 3 in the last 3 yrs..never a problem....this just work, and at a decent price.

Biostar.... Hmmm... With Asrock being of similar price, it's a tough call. I personally have never built new PCs with a B* board, but I don't see a massive amount faulty. In the end: they are like MSI, ECS, JetWay, and what used to be Asrock: they are budget boards mostly making their money on OEMs.

Biostar.... Hmmm... With Asrock being of similar price, it's a tough call. I personally have never built new PCs with a B* board, but I don't see a massive amount faulty. In the end: they are like MSI, ECS, JetWay, and what used to be Asrock: they are budget boards mostly making their money on OEMs.

i feel like msi has gone the cheap route on their motherboards...i don,t see a lot of full sized boards from them anymore, which i like....i have not made my mind up on asrock yet, on just how good they are....and then you go to the z77 boards...never seen such a maze of boards,, gosh, ,how many does gigabyte have on just that chipset...and why so many

Biostar isn't too bad, they've gotten a lot better over the years. Although I still hate their aesthetics of their mobo's

My Biostar Z68 board hasn't been that great. Though I'll concede that my particular board is probably a rare case of faultiness, as some of my friends who've used Biostar have had the same experiences and opinions already mentioned on this thread. That is, they're cheap, ugly, but seem to be decent motherboards when it's all said and done. I've personally gone with Intel boards ever since my bad experience though. My two Intel 1155 boards have been rock solid ever since purchase.

I've had good experiences with the T-force boards. I'd probably go Biostar over ASRock based on my experience.

I've had good experiences with the T-force boards. I'd probably go Biostar over ASRock based on my experience.

I'd agree with that.... I've run numerous Biostar boards over the years, and have had overall good results with them. In fact, I currently have seven.... but I pretty much only buy their T-Series boards.

My Biostar x58 has been a champ for 3 1/2 years now. I would recommend them in a heart beat.

great customer service! I called their office near my place and they let me come in and pickup a spdif/optical thingy bracket for my motherboard header a couple years ago.

I had a skt 939 Tforce that's now on it's 3rd owner with no issues and oc'ed well for me and recently got a HiFi z77x that I'm pretty happy with (no oc'ing cause its a 2120).

Gotta say the manuals provided have greatly improved.

I can't support ASRock anymore.

They have 3 890FX Deluxe boards (Deluxe3/4/5). They support BD/PD on only the Deluxe5, even though the chipsets are mostly the same. My deluxe4 even supports 140w cpus, but Asrock support says the tdp of the 125 bds/pds are "too high" and "not supported" on the deluxe4. WTF?

Asrock is _CRAP_. I've also pointed out some weird bios issues reproduceable in linux & they told me to install windows :rolleyes:

My latest build with i7-3770k was with a biostar board & it was smooth sailing. Not a single weird issue. I have no opinion on their support yet.

I have a Biostar 870 board (low end, without heatsinks on the mosfets) and it's handling an unlocked Athlon X3 just fine. Still working properly after ~3 years.

Rebates were quick, and it was in the form of a check, not the CC everyone else does nowadays.

They're a good brand, just not very developed in the direct consumer market. Buy with confidence!

I have had good luck recently with there H61 boards . I would have no problem recommending them .

Last edited:
i have had 3 biostar boards and every time i get ready to build another system i start looking at the high end boards from the big names, then i start doing the reasearch and as with anything some folks are lucky some are not.
i just picked up a Biostar TA990FXE and could not be more pleased, i like the looks of it and everything works perfectly. i do hate the UEFI bios, but thats where the industry has gone.
i have all 3 of my biostar boards after all this time they still work.

I was wondering if anyone had feedback on the Biostar TZ77XE3 Z77 motherboard?

Tigerdirect has it current onsale, after the coupon, rebate and cashback it would be about $69, seems like a good price for a budget gaming system, any thoughts:confused:

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2600MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5727271

Tigerdirect has it current onsale, after the coupon, rebate and cashback it would be about $69, seems like a good price for a budget gaming system, any thoughts:confused:

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2600MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5727271

If memory serves me correctly tomshardware did a review on that board a few months back, check it out! From looking at the specs over on the egg is looks to be a good board, but the only thing that would worry me (as an avid overclocker) would be the bios.

I have knew Biostar TZ77XE3. But don't use.

If memory serves me correctly tomshardware did a review on that board a few months back, check it out! From looking at the specs over on the egg is looks to be a good board, but the only thing that would worry me (as an avid overclocker) would be the bios.

Thanks, found the review looks pretty positive, for $70 I think its a great deal for a budget gaming build, yea i agree biostar bios usually leave a bit to be desired...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bridge-benchmark,3254-10.html

I've used various Biostar board in LOTS of builds for friends and family since the Super Socket 7 days and have never had any stability problems from K6-2's all the way up to my recently retired X2 6400+ BE (TForce 570SLI MoBo).

Back