BIOS update from hell

jobert

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I thought I would update to the newest BIOS for my MSI Z390 since its been a couple of years. I was nervous reading comments on the MSI tutorial video that updating could lead to a boot loop and sure enough it did. I had to hit control alt delete to finally get it to stop and then I went into the BIOS and changed a couple things like XMP and such and then on reboot got no video signal at all. I ended up just taking out the battery for few minutes since this mobo does not have a clear CMOS button. To get to that battery required me to take out the video card so that was fun. I was finally able to get a video signal and get back to the BIOS and this time made sure only to change XMP and nothing else. I got into Windows but the time was wrong and showing Jan 1 2017 and refused to sync. I went back to the BIOS and changed the time there and saved it but this time Windows showed 2117 lol. Anyway after another hour of nonsense and frustration I went into BIOS and changed CSM to UEFI and went back to Windows and just started saving what I needed and preparing to do a Windows re install and then out of no where the clock finally changed to the right time. I have never had anything like this happen but at least the frustration is over now. And as you can see I am no expert and really had to google for help on my tablet during this ordeal.

Last edited:
all normal when you clear cmos. theres a reason that bios profiles wont wont work between versions(settings change) and the time sync is on a schedule, you were between sync times.

Last edited:
Been wrenching on computers for nearly 30 years now and I've had exactly 1 BIOS update problem. My current Gigabyte Z490 board. Tried to use the Windows based BIOS update application. No video signal and no signs of life afterwards. They have a deal where you write a BIOS file to a Fat formatted USB drive and then plug it into a specific USB port. Power it up, wait a period of time while it does its thing, supposed to reboot on its own. I waited 2 hours and nothing. Power cycled and it came back up. First and probably last Gigabyte board I'll buy. I'd been Asus for a long time in my machines but wanted to try something else. Have done countless Dell, Asus, Asrock, MSI, DFI, ECS BIOS updates without issue.

The BIOS writing over USB is one of those ideas that could be great, but is super sketchy in execution.

I love my USB programmer though, it's done me well. Ch341

Pretty much all motherboards since forever have jumper for resetting CMOS settings and it works the same as clear CMOS button. It is usually somewhere close to battery.
On MSI its called JBAT1 - and on eg. MSI Z390-A PRO it is in pretty much the same place as battery itself.
To use it you could use any standard jumper, connect button if you have one (pretty useful when overclocking, any power/reset button pulled from old computer case will do) or use something conductive like screwdriver... that last method is the method I always use but never recommend 🙃

I'm still a little bit confused about CSM and UEFI though and I can't get any clear answers on which one I'm actually supposed to use. I'll be building a new pc in the next few days so I just want to do everything the right way from the beginning on it. And on this brand new build should I just go ahead and update the BIOS before installing Windows?

I'm still a little bit confused about CSM and UEFI though and I can't get any clear answers on which one I'm actually supposed to use. I'll be building a new pc in the next few days so I just want to do everything the right way from the beginning on it. And on this brand new build should I just go ahead and update the BIOS before installing Windows?
Modern builds should be running UEFI 99.9% of the time. If you needed CSM for some reason, you would know it.

I would disable CSM \ Legacy boot entirely to be safe.

UEFI is more modern, Windows likes it more, but switching an OS between the two can be hairy. Older systems that can do both may default to CSM (aka BIOS boot), but newer ones will default to UEFI. Unless you have a good reason, you should probably prefer UEFI in 2022.

If you want to use Resize-BAR or any new security features you have to use UEFI, if you use CSM they will be disabled.

Back